Book Geeks and Bookniks discussion

Chit Chat > QOTW - Dec. 6-12 2010

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer  (jml_417) Oprah's book club selections for Winter 2010/2011 were just announced - A Tale of Two Cities and Great Expectations, both by Charles Dickens.

Have you ever read Dickens? Which ones? Are you planning on reading along with Oprah?

message 2: by Elise (new)

Elise We read Two Cities last year w/our bookgroup. I liked it, but it wasn't a favorite of many in the group. I read Great Expectations many, many years ago. Don't plan on a re-read!

message 3: by Sara (new)

Sara (rstjm4) | 70 comments I haven't read either of these, even though they have been on my TBR list forever and I own both. I will eventually read them, but probably not with Oprah!!

message 4: by Lisa S (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) I read Great Expectations a long time ago. I just finished reading A Christmas Carol Saturday. I don't watch Oprah, so no I don't plan on reading with her.

message 5: by Julie (new)

Julie | 59 comments I've never read them but would like to. And not just because Oprah chose them!

message 6: by Jennifer (last edited Dec 07, 2010 03:48AM) (new)

Jennifer  (jml_417) I don't plan of reading with Oprah - the only reason I know about her new reads is because of all the e-mails from Amazon, B&N, Borders and Chapters (Canadian bookstore). I read A Tale of Two Cities in 10th grade, A Christmas Carol in 11th, both of which I would like to re-read some day, and I've got quite a few of his others on my TBR. About a month ago I bought a collection of his work for my Kindle for less than $5.

message 7: by Liz (new)

Liz I read "Great Expectations" years ago. I've also read "Oliver Twist" & "A Christmas Carol", maybe "Nicholas Nickleby" too. I tried "A Tale of Two Cities" a year or tow ago, but for some reason, I just could not get into it. I really wanted to - I tried reading it, then listening to it, but it just wasn't happening. So I don't know if I'll try again.

message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol (actutor) I read them years ago. However, my kids gave me a Kobo for Christmas--celebrated early. It has 100 classics preloaded, and these are among them.

message 9: by Laurel (new)

Laurel (laureljean) Love Dickens! And A Tale of Two Cities is one of my favorites. Another of my favorites is Bleak House.

message 10: by Stacey (new)

Stacey I'm going to sit this Oprah read out. I read A Christmas Carol a few years ago and liked it.

message 11: by Sue J (new)

Sue J (sue-j) | 54 comments I've read only 'Great Expectations' and 'Little Dorrit', many years' ago. Fortunately, so many of his works are adapted into films and TV series'.

message 12: by Theresa (new)

Theresa It's been a long time since I've read any Dickens, but I like his stuff.

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissa419) | 123 comments I have actually never read any Dickens, so I'd like to read some of his work someday. Just have to decide which one to read.