~Opinions~ discussion

Books *SPOILERS* > Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 102 (102 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (last edited Jan 15, 2011 09:22AM) (new)

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 244 comments I got this idea from a group I used to post in, and I thought it might be good here too.

Basically, it's just a compilation of book recommendations by different types of books. Like different people's favorite classics, fantasy books, paranormal romance, realistic fiction, high school drama books, serious teen issue books, etc. That sort of stuff.

So, does anyone think this sounds like a good idea? Does anyone want to make some recommendations?

There may be some repeats for books that fit into more than one category.

Vampire Books:
-My Love Lies Bleeding(The Drake Chronicles) by Alyxandra Harvey; Comedic

Serious Teen Issue Books:
-Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
-Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

Urban Fantasy:
-Magic Bites (The Kate Daniels series) by Ilona Andrews; Warning! Some strong language, violence, and sexual content
-City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments Series) by Cassandra Clare
-A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray
-Leviathan by Scott Westerfield

Dystopia/Apocalypse:
-The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins
-The Giver by Lois Lowry
-1984 by George Orwell
-Unwind by Neil Shusterman
-Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Action, Good-versus-evil Fantasy:
-Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling
-The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
-The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan
-City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments Series) by Cassandra Clare
-Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

Miscellaneous Fantasy:
-Through Wolf's Eyes (The Firekeeper Novels) by Jane Lindskold

Realistic Fiction:
-Paper Towns by John Green
-Looking for Alaska by John Green
-Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green
-An Abundance of Katherines by John Green
-Suite Scarlett by Maureen Johnson
-13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson
-The Bermudez Triangle by Maureen Johnson
-I Am the Messenger by Mark Zusak
-North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley
-ttyl by Lauren Myracle

Historical Fiction:
-The Book Thief by Mark Zusak
-Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
-Burying the Sun (The St. Petersburg/Angel on the Square series) by Gloria Whelan

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren I think this group is a good idea :)

I recomend - for people who like comedic vampire books - The Drake Chronicles, by Alyxandra Harvey. So far there are 3 books in the series out they are really good and funny, the first one is called My Love Lies Bleeding. :)

message 3: by Kylee (new)

Kylee (kyleerae23) Ok anyone that likes urban fantasy adult books, I STRONGLY recommend the Kate Daniels series. The first one is called Magic Bites and they are my favorite books right now! There are 4 so far, and a fifth coming out in May, I think. But they are adult so there is some bad language, fighting/blood stuff, and sex but nothing too graphic.

message 4: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Pfeehf, I read graphic books when I was 12. Or was it 11? I don't remember. Sounds good, maybe I'll check it out.

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) wrote: "I got this idea from a group I used to post in, and I thought it might be good here too.

Basically, it's just a compilation of book recommendations by different types of books. Like different p..."

Oops, i didnt see that you already recomended my love lies bleeding lol....akward :P

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 244 comments Lauren wrote: "Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) wrote: "I got this idea from a group I used to post in, and I thought it might be good here too.

Basically, it's just a compilation of book recommendations by diffe..."

Don't worry, I added it because of what you wrote. I'm editing it and adding new recommendations. :)

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Oh right lol, thought i was going mad there haha i was sure i never saw it lol. :P

message 8: by Kylee (new)

Kylee (kyleerae23) Me too! haha I was all freaked out for a second... And City of Bones by Cassandra Clare is the best book ever! That series is fantastic!

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren haha. I looooove that series! cant wait for COFA :D.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 244 comments Yeah, I'm adding a few of my own recommendations too, and I love those books, so I couldn't help but adding them. :) I can't wait for City of Fallen Angels or for Clockwork Prince. And so many other books. :P

message 11: by Kylee (new)

Kylee (kyleerae23) Ooooh good job for putting The Hunger Games up... one of the most awesome series ever!

message 12: by Annemarie (last edited Dec 05, 2010 04:32PM) (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 470 comments Yuck. The Hunger Games is gross. I HATE Katniss.

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren :O! the hunger games is the BEST! lol.

message 14: by Kylee (new)

Kylee (kyleerae23) Juliet, why do you hate The Hunger Games? And I didn't like Katniss sometimes but the series are great!

message 15: by Annemarie (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 470 comments Eh, they're lame. And I hate Collin's style of writing. The fragment. Sentences. All the time. And her use of present tense was very ehhh. I just think the idea was overdone and none of the characters were that great. Well, besides Finnnick. He's cool.

message 16: by Lauren (new)

Lauren :O.... i have never spoken to anyone who disslikes the hunger games. But... whatever kills your cat i suppose...

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 244 comments Juliet, oh well, no book can please everyone. Do you have any books to recommend?

Lauren, "whatever kills your cat" is probably the best phrase I have ever heard in my entire life.

message 18: by Lauren (new)

Lauren It's a fave of mine also lol :P

message 19: by Annemarie (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 470 comments Uh, I don't knowwww.
JOHN GREEN- Paper Towns Looking For Alaska, Will Grayson Will Grayson, An Abundance of Katherines. Awesome books.

Maurice Johnson- Suite Scarlett and 13 Little Blue Envelopes, and Burmudez Triangle are good

UNWIND. NEAL SHUSTERMAN. UTTERLY FANTASTIC BOOK. Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman Also Everlost is great.

A Great and Terrible Beauty, By Libba Bray is a fantastic book/series. As well as Going Bovine by the same author.

I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak is pretty beastly

Oh, and Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld is a must read.

Oh, and I really like the book NORTH OF BEAUTIFUL.

message 20: by Lauren (new)

Lauren I have heard from alot of people that Paper Towns is really good actualy, am going to ask for it for christmas :).

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 244 comments I added Unwind, which I loved, but I'm not familiar with the others. Do you have any category suggestions?

message 22: by Annemarie (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 470 comments Realistic Fiction- John Green books, and Maureen (I said Maurice but I mean Maureen) Johnson books, I am the Messenger, and North of Beautiful are all realistic fiction

The Libba Bray books I guess are Urban Fantasy as is Leviathan.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 244 comments Juliet♫ wrote: "Realistic Fiction- John Green books, and Maureen (I said Maurice but I mean Maureen) Johnson books, I am the Messenger, and North of Beautiful are all realistic fiction

The Libba Bray books I gues..."

Thanks. :)

message 24: by Michael (new)

Michael Juliet♫ wrote: "Yuck. The Hunger Games is gross. I HATE Katniss."

I liked The Hunger Games, but I didn't like Katniss and I don't think Suzanne Collins is that great of a writer.

message 25: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) :o Can't believe you don't like the hungergames!

- But as long as it's just the writing and the characters I ain't gonna freak.

SPOILERS

I got pretty worked up when I discussed this with a bunch of morons who thought the ending ruined the whole series. They thought it didn't fit with the books, and that it seems unfinished. That they thought Katniss should have a happier ending after everything she'd done. I got annoyed 'cause, clearly, they didn't know the first thing about war. What it does to people. The girl was a morphin-junkie, her dad died when she was a kid, her mom was unable to take care of her, she starved, she had to feed her family, she had to goddamn KILL people, she saw people she cared about die, she had the guilt of I-dont-know-how-many deaths on her shoulders, the thing she relied on most (Peeta) was hijacked and hated her. Oh yeah, and she watched her sister, the person she cared most about in the whole entire world, die. Not going insane seems almost impossible.

Sorry, i get kinda worked up :)

message 26: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) Hey, I'm not a bunch of morons !

message 27: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) I wasn't talking about you Amina.

I was talking about those people who wanted The Hunger Games to have a happysappy ending. Which of course it wouldn't have, because it is not Twilight. The Hunger Games is not a romance novel, therefor it shouldn't be expected that it should have a happy ending.

message 28: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) Yah, but I kinda didn't like the ending ... :P

message 29: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) *Shrugs*

Read it again.

message 30: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) No, I just didn't want Gale to go away. that's it

message 31: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Gale was an arse anyway. I admit that I'd like to hear what happened to him, that was a loose threat. but when you think about it... These are the kind of things that happens when war is or has been raging.

message 32: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) How was Gale an ass? :O:O:O:O:O:O:OO:O:O:O:O:O

message 33: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Because he acted like one. He was pretty arrogant, and generally not very nice a lot of the time.I would look it up in the books and give you examples, but sadly I've lent them to a friend.

message 34: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) No way! He rocks

message 35: by Annemarie (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 470 comments Ew Gale. He was Mr. NoPersonality.

But I love Peeta! He's coooolio.

message 36: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) I agree Juliet! Gale was just too. Much. I wanted to strangle him sometimes. He could be sweet too, but a lot of the time he was just so ARGH! I guess he and Katniss were a lot alike.

I love Peeta too!!!

message 37: by Kylee (new)

Kylee (kyleerae23) I hate Gale... if he was so awesome, why did he just give up and leave Katniss in the end? Because he knew he was nothing compared to Peeta and that everyone hates him.

message 38: by Kylee (new)

Kylee (kyleerae23) Oh and here is a link to the review I did for Mockingjay, if anyone wants to read it or talk about the books :) Just figured I'd offer.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 39: by Courtney (last edited Dec 06, 2010 08:20PM) (new)

Courtney | 71 comments Ok of course The Book Thief must be listed under realistic fiction (or maybe we could create a historical fiction section)

Another off the beaten path reccomendation would be the St. Petersburg quintet by Gloria Whelan the books are: Angel On Thes Square
The Impossible Journey
Burying The Sun (particularly good)
The Turning

NOTE: these books are listed as YA but they are clearly meant for 10-13 year olds, does that mean they can't be enjoyed? NO :)

Burying The Sun and The Turning were the "grittest" of the series my 8 year sold self was scared that my mom would read them because BTS dealt with the horror and hopelessness of WWI and Turning had a brief 1 chapter non-explicite subplot about human trafficking

message 40: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) Rowan wrote: "I hate Gale... if he was so awesome, why did he just give up and leave Katniss in the end? Because he knew he was nothing compared to Peeta and that everyone hates him."

Firstly, guys, Peeta is a double, choc-chip wuss. lol

Secondly, he left becuse he knew that Katniss wouldn't ever be able to live with him with the fact that he had made that bomb in mind. So there. More like katniss didn't deserve HIM. Always making the two lag behin her. leading them on like dat.

message 41: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Lolling at that. Just the fact that Gale made that bomb should be enough. Also, she told him she didn't think she was ever gonna love, and yet he still kept running after her. So that she made him run is kinda overdoing it don't you think?

message 42: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) she kissed him, Emma! Isn't that something to give him hope? And she DID love. She loved that chocolate wuss

message 43: by Kylee (new)

Kylee (kyleerae23) OK so personally, I don't think Katniss ever deserved Peeta and I kinda wished she would have ended up with Gale since I hate both of them... but Gale was blood thirsty and cruel, and all he wanted was revenge. Why would you want to be with someone like that?

message 44: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) No he wasn't

message 45: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) He wasn't bloodthirsty and cruel, but he did want revenge. He kept talking about it. Revenge, revenge, revenge. I liked him in the first book, when he was strong and independant and opinionated. And noone can say that he was a coward.

And Peeta wasn't a wuss. To be a wuss, you have to be a coward. Is it cowardly to want to sacrafice yourself for a person you love?

Yeah she kissed him. 'Cause he kept coming on to her, pushing her. She wanted to know if she liked him back, which she seemigly did. But he changed. He became... Well, what he was in the 3. book.

message 46: by Michael (new)

Michael Emma (Consumed by Life) wrote: "Because he acted like one. He was pretty arrogant, and generally not very nice a lot of the time.I would look it up in the books and give you examples, but sadly I've lent them to a friend."

- - SPOILER - -

I think he made a hurtful comment to Katniss about her kissing Peeta because he was jealous and couldn't be honest with her. And wasn't he also responsible for the parachutes in the final battle at the capital that wound up killing Prim? Jerk!

message 47: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) No, he wasn't! That was done by Coin.

And I still think KATNISS didn't deserve HIM.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 244 comments Courtney wrote: "Ok of course The Book Thief must be listed under realistic fiction (or maybe we could create a historical fiction section)

Another off the beaten path reccomendation would be the St. Petersburg qu..."

What categories would those be in? I've never heard of them?

message 49: by Kylee (new)

Kylee (kyleerae23) Emma (Consumed by Life) wrote: "He wasn't bloodthirsty and cruel, but he did want revenge. He kept talking about it. Revenge, revenge, revenge. I liked him in the first book, when he was strong and independant and opinionated. An..."

When he was talking about killing all the innocent people because if they had the choice, they would kill him... I count that as being bloddthirsty and cruel.

Amina, don't you remember that Gale designed them and when she asked Gale about them he couldn't look her in the eye? The parachutes were his fault.

message 50: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 71 comments @Rachel just list Burying The Sun under Historical Fiction please :)
it was the best book

« previous 1 3