Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Lorraine's Nov. Reads 2010

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Busy month, only read 2 books:
Fender Benders by Bill Fitzhugh(mystery from tbr pile)
Fender Benders is either a skewed look at the country music industry or a clear-eyed view of a screwy businees. Book has murder, treachery, greed, drugs, twangy music and a love triangle. A good, cozy mystery.

The Day the Earth Caved In -- An American Mining Tragedy by Joan Quigley (nf from my tbr pile)
Valentines Day, 1981, a twelve year old boy fell thru the earth in his grandmother's backyard in Centralia, PA. Centralia was a coal mining town when the depression hit, the owner sold off the rights and the people were unemployed. Many locals with mining experience dug new tunnels to heat their homes and sell coal. There are many "bootlegged" tunnels, not diagramed on documents. One mistake after another occurred until 1981, when finally the government evacuated the town. Some did stay, feeling their town could still be saved. The fires in the tunnels are still burning today.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14988 comments Lorraine:
I have not read more than news accounts (at the time) of this story and it has always fascinated me! This must have been an interesting book.

Brakedrum wrote: "The Day the Earth Caved In -- An American Mining Tragedy by Joan Quigley (nf from my tbr pile) Valentines Day, 1981, a twelve year old boy fell thru the earth in his grandmother's backyard in Centralia, PA. Centralia was a coal mining town when the depression hit, .... The fires in the tunnels are still burning today. "