Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die discussion

Archives > What is the best e-reader?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicasey) I've read the threads that have e-readers discussed in them, but I'm kinda looking for specific answers. If everyone wouldn't mind giving me your answers, I would appreciate it.

Which E-reader do you think is the best? I don't care about color.

I'm looking for:
ease of reading screen?
well lit screen?
amount of books available?
best prices for books available?
number of free books available?
ease of holding/most comfortable?

All suggestions are greatly appreciated!

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I wouldn't worry about a well-lit screen, most of them are in e-ink anyway and aren't lit. That's what a good booklight is for. The reading screens on these are all the same for the most part.

I have a Sony and I love it. Very easy to use and comfortable. Mine's an older model, got it 2 1/2 years ago. The Kindle is also a good choice.

message 3: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicasey) Thanks Jessica. If you don't mind me asking:

The only issue I've heard with Sony products is there lack of compatability with other devices/software? I had a friend (now this was...6 years ago?) that had a Sony...something. I remember her and her husband having to go out and buy other Sony products bc it wasn't compatability as it stood.

I think, emphasize think, it was a Sony Flatscreen. Which 6 years ago, well... I know things have changed since that.

Have you had any issue with the Sony software/products being compatable with others?

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Nope. For a while it wasn't Mac compatible but that has changed (my mother and sister use them with their Macs with no issues). Even better, they use the format ePub which is the industry standard format, and you can buy ePubs at many stores and use them on the Sony (Kindle has its own format). Libraries that offer ebooks also mostly use ePub, and Sony even has a place on their website where you can find a local library offering that service.

message 5: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicasey) Jessica wrote: "Nope. For a while it wasn't Mac compatible but that has changed (my mother and sister use them with their Macs with no issues). Even better, they use the format ePub which is the industry standard ..."

Terrific! Thanks again!

message 6: by Adelhaida (new)

Adelhaida | 7 comments I love my Sony Touch Digital Reader (:

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Adelhaida, do you have the 650?

message 8: by Adelhaida (new)

Adelhaida | 7 comments Yes, I do. I let my mom borrow more then I use it. But I do love it.

message 9: by Flora (new)

Flora Smith (bookwormflo) I have the Sony touch screen and I love it. Its just the right size and its easy to use and it holds more than enough books. My daughter is wanting the Nook for Xmas because it has wifi and the Sony doesn't. I don't see that as an issue personally. As I want it for reading and not to be online.

message 10: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicasey) Adelhaida wrote: "I love my Sony Touch Digital Reader (:"

Do you mind if I ask what attracted you to the Sony over the others?

message 11: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicasey) Flora wrote: "I have the Sony touch screen and I love it. Its just the right size and its easy to use and it holds more than enough books. My daughter is wanting the Nook for Xmas because it has wifi and the Son..."

Thanks. I'm undecided on the WiFi. We have a wireless network at home, so it might be easier, but I can just as easily hook up to the internet hard line if needed.

message 12: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Kristi wrote: "Flora wrote: "I have the Sony touch screen and I love it. Its just the right size and its easy to use and it holds more than enough books. My daughter is wanting the Nook for Xmas because it has wi..."

Most people really love the wifi. I'm glad I don't have it because it stops spontaneous book purchases. Although I have my iPhone for backup if the need really strikes (but I much prefer reading on my Sony).

message 13: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicasey) Thank you everyone!!

I went to the stores today, and I played with the 3 main devices. I also used a comparison guide offered at best buy.

I decided on the Kindle, based on the fact that it had or tied with the others for the features I was looking for.

Thank you for the feedback though. It makes it a lot less nerve racking to have some knowledge when you're talking with sales people. I was much more confident thanks to all of you!

message 14: by Julie (new)

Julie (juliemoncton) | 56 comments Kristi wrote: "Thank you everyone!!

I went to the stores today, and I played with the 3 main devices. I also used a comparison guide offered at best buy.

I decided on the Kindle, based on the fact that it..."

Hi Kristi,

I don't know if you already purchased a Kindle, but just today, Google announced Google editions, which is Google's entry into the ebook market. Their format is compatible with many readers - Nook, Sony,... but NOT Amazon's Kindle. The Google editions are being sold by lots of Independent book stores and should really shake up the ebook industry.

Julie

message 15: by CD (new)

CD  | 49 comments One not widely publicized feature of the Nook's is that they allow for unlimited browsing when you are in a Barnes & Noble store. So go have a cup and read for an hour every morning.

This feature also means that I can stop off and sit in a comfy chair and read much (or all) of an e-book before deciding to purchase. Handy.

There's several 'services' beginning to appear that allow most of the E-pub readers to 'check out' books from public libraries for one to three weeks or so. That's going to pay for my Nook all by itself!

message 16: by Julie (new)

Julie (juliemoncton) | 56 comments CD wrote: "One not widely publicized feature of the Nook's is that they allow for unlimited browsing when you are in a Barnes & Noble store. So go have a cup and read for an hour every morning.

This feature ..."

Good point CD! I have a Nook and 2 of the local library systems offer free ebooks for a 3 week checkout period. Kristi, you can check your own library - the services are run by Ingram Digital and Overdrive. They even have recent titles, although sometimes you have to get on the reservation list for those. What I love about the Google Editions is that now I can buy ebooks and support local Independent bookstores.

message 17: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicasey) @CD: I have to drive about 45 minutes just to get to a B&N. So being able to sit in the store isn't really a + for me. I usually just stop in on my way to other errands, or if I have to work in the area that day.

My library doesn't have eBooks yet. We're a booming area, but the growth is all in the last few years, so "services" are still kind of rural around here.

@Julie at All Ears: I only have 1 book store (Independent) in the area, and it's a used bookstore. They don't do eBooks either.

I appreciate the feedback though.

message 18: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Ridgeway | 10 comments I work for a public library and we use the "Overdrive" E-book and audiobook lending service. Kindle cannot be used on Overdrive as it is proprietary to Amazon. My husband is giving me a NOOKcolor for Christmas. I can't wait! One of my library co-workers has the black-and-white NOOK and is a bit envious of my getting the color edition. LOL!

message 19: by Jessica (new)

Jessica CD wrote: "One not widely publicized feature of the Nook's is that they allow for unlimited browsing when you are in a Barnes & Noble store. So go have a cup and read for an hour every morning.

This feature ..."

I've been in my local B&N several times drinking java and reading on my Sony. No one has said anything to me yet. Which is good, since I'm purchasing drinks and usually after purchase books. No nook needed!

I got access to library ebooks but I haven't downloaded any yet. No idea why. Maybe next month I'll have another one of my no-book-purchase month and download some library titles.

message 20: by CD (new)

CD  | 49 comments Jessica wrote: I've been in my local B&N several times drinking java and reading on my Sony. No one has said anything to me yet. Which is good, since I'm purchasing drinks and usually after purchase books. No nook needed!

..."

If I'm reading what you're say correctly, that you can browse with the Sony (or other e-readers too) at B&N, that is very interesting and I didn't have any idea! I've got access to a Sony reader, I'll have to give that a try.

Thanks

message 21: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (rosirfluer) | 1 comments Julie at All Ears wrote: "Kristi wrote: "Thank you everyone!!

I decided on the Kindle, based on the f..."

that is so good to know, THANK YOU. i'm also looking to buy an ereader instead of my phone. i really want a nook color but everyone talks about sony. what about the others? pros, cons, limitations. the important thing is flexability in purchases and free ebooks from the library. from these comments it sounds like kindle is restrictive. if i bought a kindle book could i use it on a nook or sony or my phone? and the same question for the others. and which ones allow use of free ebooks from the library?

thanks

message 22: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicasey) for library books it's known that the nook and the sony work best. Though I have been told the kindle will work, it's just trickier. I don't know this for fact though.

The kindle is compatible with a whole list of devices, where as the others were not. The Nook says you can eLend books to friends, but I also read that is only available for up to 14days.

Again, this is not personal experience, just some information I gathered doing my own research.

I wasn't worried about the library books thing, bc the kindle offers 1.8 million free eBooks, and it holds 3500 (about 2000 more than the others). I figured that would keep me out of the library for quite some time. lol.

I wasn't worried about purchases either, as I prefer a real book over an eBook (that might change). If I have to purchase then I'd rather have the real thing in my hand.

HTH!

message 23: by Meera (new)

Meera I have a Kindle and now an early xmas gift of color nook. Kindle is great for all the free ebooks I can download. I just borrowed a library book on my Nook though which is pretty cool too. What I also like about the Nook is the touch screen and the fact I don't have to have a light on to read at night. But I find Amazon site easier to navigate so I will most likely still use my Kindle too.

message 24: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jengray72) | 3 comments I never really had a predisposition to any ereader, but then I started working on a project for Kobo, which is available through Borders and Walmart. Now that I have my Kobo, I'm a complete convert to the format. Portability is my favorite aspect, which you get with any ereader--I find I'm actually reading more now because I have my Kobo with me all the time, when those little opportunities pop up. It's simple to use, has Wi-Fi, and the books are priced competitively. Kobo also runs frequent specials, and has many free offerings, as does Borders.

message 25: by Sandysconnected (new)

Sandysconnected | 4 comments KOBO! Which up until 2 months ago, I didn't know existed...I'd only heard of the Kindle. Here are some answers:
ease of reading screen? Absolutely, esp w/ 5 fonts sizes to choose from
well lit screen? Looks just like a page from a book, which is what I was looking for
amount of books available? gazillions? :D
best prices for books available? Equal with competitors and sometimes cheaper. Deals abound.
number of free books available? Countless, just search the internet. It comes with 100 classics uploaded so you don't have to do the work.
ease of holding/most comfortable? Since the back is textured, it has great grip.

love it.