Every one's Choice discussion

Book Challenges > 2011 Challenges

Comments Showing 1-50 of 102 (102 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 3116 comments Mod
Hey guys! 2011 is around the corner so I was wondering what everyone's plans were for the coming year's challenge?? How did everyone do for 2010?

I don't think I will make my 60 challenege and I def did not complete my A-Z title Challange. But I will make a second attempt at it in 2011!

I think I will do the same 60 books for the year but I wanted to incorporate my 2010 A-Z books but we will see.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah23l) I exceeded my goal of 60 books this year, which totally surprised me because I read only 34 books in 2009. For 2011 I am participating in a BIO (Books I Own) Challenge for another group that I belong to here on Goodreads. The goal is to read books that I already own before buying any more. I'd like to shoot for a total of 72 books next year.

message 3: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 676 comments I am two books away from making my goal of 60 books this year. I also did the name challenge and about 60% of the way through my last one. I was thinking of going for the A-Z challenge for next year. I am not going to do a specific number challenge as I have been working a lot lately and I have a move planned in the next 7mon so I know I will be busy with that.

Sarah, congrats on exceeding your reading goal! I really like the idea of only choosing books you already own though I think I am going to have to buy an X and a Y book if I do the A-Z for next year! LOL

message 4: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 204 comments I blew my challenge out of the water this year!! I'm really excited about that. I think for 2011 I'll try to read 60 books and do the name challenge. I wanted to do that earlier this year but it just didn't work out for me.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) My challenge for this year is 75 books, I I think I will make at least 72. I am going to try to really stretch myself for next year and shoot for 100. Am I nuts?? Yes, but in my other group most of the girls are reading well over 100, and many are going for 200. These women are serious about reading, lol.

So - We will see how it goes.

Other than that, I am doing a year without buying challenge. Where I need to read books I own, library books and swapped books, but no money spent on books. It should be interesting as one of the corollaries is to read three books per month from your own shelves and two books a month that you just pick up at the library (not ordered ahead of time) As well as a 50 states challenge. That should keep me busy.

message 6: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 676 comments What's the 50 states challenge?

message 7: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Dec 06, 2010 03:58PM) (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) It is where you have to read a book that takes place in each of the 50 states of the US. In our case, we are including District of Columbia, so it is actually 51 books. I didn't do very well on my specific challenges this year, so I'm pretty sure that I am doomed before I start, lol.

message 8: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 676 comments Wow, that sounds interesting and hard at the same time, good luck to you!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I am hoping it is not too hard, but then I am notorious for not completing challenges. The only ones I came close to this year were reading my name (I am only missing Y) and my 75 books total, of which I will probably make 73 or so.

message 10: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 676 comments You got darn close on both challenges though...

message 11: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 204 comments That is really close on both challenges!! I wish I would've done the name challenge this year. *sigh such is life. I'd have to find a "y" book too, Lyn.

message 12: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (crescentgaia) I think that I'm going to try to read 50 books this year. I really failed on that one this year.

I really like the idea of a no buying books year. I'm going to do that as well. I'm kind of glad that I have a kindle because I can get free books here and there. So it's a bit of cheating.

message 13: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

I think I will join in on the "Shelf Only" challenge! I know I may add more considering book clubs but those will have to be an exception!

message 14: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 204 comments That does sound like a good challenge. Maybe I'll join until I run out of books. I think I can probably pull sixish months worth of reading off of my shelves LOL. I'm afraid of not buying any books though hehe!!!!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I think we all are, lol, but we can give it a try. I have 294 books on my to read mine list, and that is only about one half of the books I have lying around, lol.

message 16: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (crescentgaia) Wow Lyn! That's a lot of books - I think I'm in the high 70s on my to-read list.

message 17: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Dec 10, 2010 04:11PM) (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I know, Liz. I have been hoarding books forever, lol. It's sad and I am hopeless.

message 18: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (crescentgaia) I don't think it's sad or hopeless. :) I know I have a lot more books hanging around than I have listed on the to-read list. I just don't have enough space to have them all out. I really want to build bookshelves into my walls, but I have an outside room. Sadness.

message 19: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 676 comments Bookshelves into the walls are the best! I know when I move I am going to have to get a new bookshelf or two. My ex cut a hole in the back of one of them at our old apartment to make way for an outlet. I was soooooo totally annoyed!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I am up to 393 now and still cataloging, lol

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I think I will go with the books on my shelf and library challenge. My wife joined me to a book club for Christmas, so I have those coming in and I may get a couple more from them this year....but this sounds fun. I am also going to shoot for 50 books this year. Good. Luck to everyone.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Good luck to you,too Wayne.

message 23: by Lori (new)

Lori | 48 comments I love the books on my shelf challenge, I have so many books I need to read. I will definitely do that challenge and I'll actually track the books I read. I only joined this group about halfway through the year and to be honest I have no idea how many books I have read for 2010, but for 2011 I'll keep track. 60 is a nice round number to shoot for it seems.

message 24: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

I think that's what I am going to do this year. I am just gonna count how many books I read on my Bookshelf. I will try to stear clear of the library!!! LOL "try"

message 25: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Dec 17, 2010 05:14PM) (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) So guys, I decided to make a change to my challenges for 2011. I am a lover of historical fiction, and many of the books I read turn out to be huge chunksters. For that reason, instead of setting a number of books goal for 2011, I have decided to change my goal to a number of pages. So for 2011 I am doing:

No new books for January, April, July, and October.

Read at least three books per month that I owned BEFORE Jan 2011

Read two books a month that I just pick up randomly at the library.

Read 36,500 pages in 2011 (this year I did about 30,000)

Read one book that is set in each of the 50 states plus the District of Columbia.

I am also trying to not spend any money on books for 2011, but I am pretty sure that I will not succeed at this one, lol.

message 26: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 676 comments I really like the idea of reading books you already own, I am deffs going to do this next year with the exception of GR's that I don't own.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Colleen, that is a good idea. In fact, that is why I figure I won't succeed overall, since I know there will be group reads that I will need to buy, Plus there are a few new books in series that I am reading which I have already pre-ordered. So, we shall see how few I can actually keep the buying to.

message 28: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 676 comments If only you could do all your buying before the year is out, lol

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I'm trying, believe me, lol.

message 30: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 676 comments I am thinking that my only reading goal for next year will be to not buy as many books, I need to read the ones I have first.

message 31: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

I am def gonna do the "bookshelf" one and I am also going to throw in that my husband will pick opne of those books a month! Sometimes I just can't make my own decisions!!!!

Plus he finds most of them any way ;-)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) That seems to be a common theme, Colleen. I think we all have gone on too many book buying binges, lol.

Donna, you are much more trusting than me. I would hate to see what my husband would come up with for me to read, lol.

message 33: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 676 comments Donna's husband is awesome at finding good books!

Lyn, my mind is made up though; with the exception of buying books for GR's I am going to do the bookshelf challenge and see how many of the books I already own I can get through. That means I will have a lot of Tudor reading coming up! What to do about the A-Z challenge? Hope the library has whatever books I am searching for and hope I own enough books to get through it? LOL

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) The library has become my best friend, Colleen.

message 35: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 676 comments I have been falling in love with the library all over again Lyn! I had been so on the used book stores and amazon.com for such a long time but I have been going back to the library for books I can't find or don't want to own and been very pleased with my findings.

message 36: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

That's all good to know about the library. I was beginning to think I took the wrong career path lol

Thx Colleen! My hubby usually calls me and has me look up booksthat he finds but other time he finds them. In his work building and just brings them home.

message 37: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 676 comments NP Donna! Your hubby has some great finds!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Donna - I would be SO LOST without my library!

message 39: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

There is a position open at my local library that is only 4 blocks away from my home but there is a hiring freeze and will not let up until June/July and I get my degree in May so I am crossing my fingers! That would all too perfect for me and my fam!

message 40: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah23l) I'll keep my fingers crossed too!!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I will keep my fingers crossed for you Donna. Hope it works out.

message 42: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

THX!!!!!!

message 43: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 676 comments Fingers and toes crossed for you Donna!

message 44: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 676 comments Thinking of doing a banned book challenge if anyone wants to join in!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) What is the scope, Colleen? I was thinking of doing one a month for 2011.

message 46: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 676 comments Well according to someone on the internet one is supposed to have read 25 out of 100 of the ALS reported most banned books so I need to read 12 more. One a month for next year sounds perfect to me!

message 47: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

message 48: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 676 comments Great lists Donna!

message 49: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

THX they just never end. I don't think I can complete any of them (except for the Gael one!)

message 50: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Misskitty1026) | 105 comments i actually did my 60 book challenge this year- i am halfway through book 61 (i am going to finish it before tomorrow is over!!!)
i am unsure of what challenge i should have for this year- i have the kindle so i do not own as many books as i used to ( i read all but 2 in my house)
i also have a habit of running with an author if i like one of their books and read everything they wrote so i don't know if i can do a a-z challenge :(
anyone have any ideas??

« previous 1 3