Audiobooks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Winter 2010 - 2011

Comments Showing 1-50 of 625 (625 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

message 1: by John, Moderator (last edited Nov 30, 2010 04:01PM) (new)

John | 3724 comments I'm a couple of hours into Life Without Limits - a combination memoir and inspirational/motivational book by a fellow born without limbs (okay, he has a foot ... which he refers to as his "drumstick"). I hadn't known that he's a) Australian and b) an evangelical Christian. The former makes the book more interesting, and the latter is far from a problem - even a devout atheist should be able to get into this one.
There's no way the print book could even come close to his audio delivery - you'd miss out entirely on his personality (he even says "Aren't you glad you got the audio, so you can hear me sing!" at one point). He's just finished discussing his technique for dealing with groups of small kids who are often afraid of him at first.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm between audiobooks at the moment.

message 3: by Dung Beetle (new)

Dung Beetle (dungbeetle) I’m listening to Flash for Freedom by George MacDonald Frasier, read by David Case. I’m enjoying the heck out of this series, I just wish my library had them on something besides cassette. That’s me you see sitting in my car at the stoplight, twisting my finger in the tape reel!

message 4: by Kaaren (new)

Kaaren (kaarenc) | 14 comments The Way of Kings by Sanderson. 45 wonderful hours from Audible.

message 5: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 1546 comments I am in the middle of three (3) series on audio; Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam (Agatha Raisin, #10) by M.C. Beaton , Duplicity Dogged the Dachshund The Second Dixie Hemingway Mystery by Blaize Clement , and In the Belly of the Bloodhound Being an Account of a Particularly Peculiar Adventure in the Life of Jacky Faber (Bloody Jack, #4) by L.A. Meyer .

message 6: by John, Moderator (last edited Dec 01, 2010 08:59AM) (new)

John | 3724 comments That's the way it goes with David Case, D. B. He did a lot of his work with Books on Tape early on in the audio game, and most of it never made it beyond that format.

I've read all the previous Agatha Raisins in print, but have the latest one Busy Body (Agatha Raisin, #21) by M.C. Beaton on my TBR pile as an audio for a change.

message 7: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 224 comments I'm listening to Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, the narrator's doing a pretty good job.

message 8: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 2033 comments I'm listening to Wild Ride by, Jennifer Cruise its fun so far wanted something lighthearted before I start Jane Eyre.

message 9: by Seth (new)

Seth Jones (sayeth) | 19 comments I just finished a free version ofThe Secret Adversary and reviewed it on Free Listens.

message 10: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 224 comments I just read that book Seth! I would have been worried about Tommy and Tuppence, but it sounds like the narrator did a great job.

message 11: by Kaaren (new)

Kaaren (kaarenc) | 14 comments Susie wrote: "I'm listening to Wild Ride by, Jennifer Cruise its fun so far wanted something lighthearted before I start Jane Eyre."

That's next on my list when I finish The Way of Kings. Love Jennifer Cruise for some fun listening.

message 12: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 2033 comments Kaaren its fun so far some really fun characters!

message 13: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 168 comments Carolyn, I loved that audiobook production of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. I'm currently listening to The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag. Jayne Entwistle, the narrator, has really nailed this precocious 11 year old's voice. I'm only about 3 cds into it, but so far I like it, just not as much as the first one in this series.

message 14: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 2033 comments Barbara that was one of my favorites this year!I love Flavia!

message 15: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 224 comments Barbara wrote: "Carolyn, I loved that audiobook production of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. I'm currently listening to The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag. Jayne Entwistle, the narr..."

I think this narrator did the Gabaldon Lord John books too. He sounds so familiar.

message 16: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 2033 comments Carolyn-If its Jeff Woodman than your right!

message 17: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 224 comments Yes, I knew it was Jeff but couldn't remember his last name.

message 18: by Lori (new)

Lori (twizzle777) | 191 comments Kaaren wrote: "The Way of Kings by Sanderson. 45 wonderful hours from Audible."
Me too! I'm a little over halfway through. However, mine is from the state library. It's been great.

message 19: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 2033 comments Wild Ride was really fun!!I enjoyed it for its humor and fun story!

Now listening to Jane Eyre narrated by, Juliet Stevenson

message 20: by weateallthepies (new)

weateallthepies | 7 comments The Elfish Gene: Dungeons, Dragons and Growing Up Strange which I'm enjoying more than I probably should.

message 21: by weateallthepies (new)

weateallthepies | 7 comments Kaaren wrote: "The Way of Kings by Sanderson. 45 wonderful hours from Audible."

That's on my list but I'm not sure I'm ready for a 45 hour commitment just yet. How's the narration?

message 22: by Kaaren (new)

Kaaren (kaarenc) | 14 comments weateallthepies wrote: "Kaaren wrote: "The Way of Kings by Sanderson. 45 wonderful hours from Audible."

That's on my list but I'm not sure I'm ready for a 45 hour commitment just yet. How's the narration?"

Excellent!

message 23: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 61 comments I bought Life by Keith Richards as a holiday present for a friend and started listening to it. The book is narrated by Johnny Depp and Joe Hurly; Depp's monotone delivery does a real disservice to the material but Hurley's narration gets across Richards life of sex, drugs and rock & roll nicely. Richards really does appear to be a dedicated musician. All the rest is noise, but interesting noise since I grew up in during the Rolling Stones heyday.

message 24: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 61 comments John wrote: "I'm a couple of hours into Life Without Limits - a combination memoir and inspirational/motivational book by a fellow born without limbs (okay, he has a foot ... which he refers to a..."

Sounds interesting; thanks for the thumbs up and it goes on my audible wish list.

message 25: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 224 comments I finished The Devil Who Tamed Her with Laural Merlington as the narrator. It was okay. Didn't care for the story itself and I think Laural did a better job with the Meredith Gentry series. I've started Ghost Hunter where Laural Merlington is narrating this book too (I didn't realize she narrates so many) and so far she doing a better job with this book.

message 26: by Lori (new)

Lori (twizzle777) | 191 comments I finished The Way of Kingsby Brandon Sanderson. I'm only sorry that it's over. Had to sneak off to get in some extra listening time! Not sure what I want to start next.

message 27: by Cindee (new)

Cindee  (cindeethevoodoocat) I'm in the middle of The Sea Wolf- Jack London. I am really enjoying it.

message 28: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Oh, that's one of my favorite audiobooks Cindee!

I am about 1/3 of the way into A Song for Arbonne by Guy Gavriel Kay. The narrater is great! His name is Euan Mortan, and he not only has to narrate, he sings! That can sometimes get to me in audiobooks, but Mr. Mortan has a great voice and the melodies are really beautiful. So far, a great listen!

message 29: by Cindee (new)

Cindee  (cindeethevoodoocat) Finished it and I agree with you, Catie- it was a great book and excellently narrated.

Now... I am starting Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe. I'll have to take a look on recordedbooks.com and see if either they have either the Brandon Sanderson or the Guy Gavriel Kay.

message 30: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (walker) | 33 comments I'm about to start The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. I think everyone else in the world has already read this series, but not me. A friend just sent me the cassettes. Looks fun.

message 31: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) I didn't listen to that one Joanna, but I read the book and loved it. For some reason it always surprises me to see a man write a really feminist book. Maybe I have some prejudices that I need to let go of! This one is extra surprising because the author is an older Scottish man and the protagonist is a young African woman. Some people have great imaginations!

message 32: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (sandrakay) | 8 comments Joanna, I am also listening to The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency mostly via CDs in the car. I drive long distances daily so I have found that listening to the books helps make the time go quicker.

I have listened to many of the books in this series. The narration by Lisette Lecat is fabulous. In fact I now prefer the audio version because of her voice!

message 33: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3724 comments I held off on listening to them on audio until partway through the series, but prefer them that way now.

I'm not sure what I think of the TV series (DVD's).

message 34: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) I thought that overall, HBO did a good job with the series and I loved Jill Scott. My only comment is that I think that they made the main character more vulnerable and self conscious than she is in the books, which I didn't like.

message 35: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3724 comments I thought perhaps she seemed a bit slighter (sillier), and Mma Makutsi more cartoonishly brittle; Mr. J L B Matakoni struck me as less stuffy than in the books.

message 36: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 2033 comments Last month I said I had gotten Jane Eyre from Librivox and couldn't listen to it because the reader was American. I am SO glad I waited and got this from Audible and luckily enough it was on the $4.95 sale Juliet Stevenson does such a great job!Only 4 hours left of it.

message 37: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3724 comments I got Jane Austen's Lady Susan from the library earlier this year, and my first reaction was "What the ... heck???" as it was a dramatic reading (the novel consists of letters between several characters) by an American cast. I got used to it.

message 38: by Donna (new)

Donna | 36 comments John, I love MC Beaton! Are the audio books as good as the DTBs?

I forgot to mention awhile ago that I borrowed Major Pettigrew's Last Stand audiobook from the library and really enjoyed it. Narrator did a fabulous job!

message 39: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3724 comments I haven't listened to Agatha Raisin on audio yet, it's on my TBR pile (I've read all but the latest in print) -- I don't care for her Hamish Macbeth series.

DTB???

As for Major Pettigrew, he struck me as such a stuffy prig, that I wasn't willing to wait for him to mellow by the end of the book!

message 40: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 8 comments I finished Blood Born recently. The narrator was fine, the story itself left something to be desired.
I'm in the same situation right now with the current CD in my car - The Key to Midnight. The narrator is great - I can distinctly tell characters apart, but the story is just blah.

message 41: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Susie wrote: "Last month I said I had gotten Jane Eyre from Librivox and couldn't listen to it because the reader was American. I am SO glad I waited and got this from Audible and luckily..."

Susie, this is one of my favorite audiobooks...not to mention my favorite book! I really loved how precise the narrator is; it was like I was experiencing the book in a stronger, more passionate way than before. Haha, that sounds pretty silly but there it is.

message 42: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 2033 comments Catie wrote: " Susie wrote: "Last month I said I had gotten Jane Eyre from Librivox and couldn't listen to it because the reader was American. I am SO glad I waited and got this from Audible and luckily..."

..."

I am loving the narration except for one thing she pronounces St.John as sinjin which I find a bit odd but other than that I am loving this book more than I expected to!

message 43: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) I could be wrong, but I think that's how it's supposed to be pronounced! Maybe...

message 44: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 2033 comments Well that very well could be it just sounds funny.

message 45: by Donna (new)

Donna | 36 comments John wrote: DTB???

Got it from another thread... Dead Tree Book

message 46: by Donna (last edited Dec 08, 2010 12:17PM) (new)

Donna | 36 comments I just finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society audiobook - it was great! About to listen to The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake. (Thank goodness for my library's audiobooks! I'd never be able to afford this many!)

message 47: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3724 comments Catie wrote: "I could be wrong, but I think that's how it's supposed to be pronounced! Maybe..."

Yes, it is "sinjin"

message 48: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 2033 comments John wrote: "Catie wrote: "I could be wrong, but I think that's how it's supposed to be pronounced! Maybe..."

Yes, it is "sinjin""

Ok I would have never noticed(That it was spelled St.John) except for the fact that I hit my ipod wrong and ended up moving it ahead and couldn't get it to go back to where it was, so I had to grab the hard copy and read up to where I'd Fast forwarded it.

message 49: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) That's a cool example of how an audiobook can enhance your experience. I'm sure that I was thinking "Saint John" the whole time that I first read that book too. That's my favorite book, so I've read/listened to it probably at least five times!

message 50: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3724 comments That one's a hardcore Anglophile thing, Catie; there are a couple of other names that sound completely different than spelled, though I can't recall them offhand.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.