General > Novels or nonfiction to be part of school program

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John | 259 comments Mod
Spoiled book: The Bridge of San Luis Rey

Recommended: Lullabies for Little Criminals

message 2: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy  (vilette) | 248 comments Glen wrote: "I have found in Goodreads and another book club that many people have had a book spoiled because of it being taught in school or university. "Paradise Lost" and "Moby Dick" come to mind. There ar..."

I don't think anything was spoiled for me in English Lit classes....we did a Shakespeare play once a year, and all the classic books...I believe we had an excellent teacher as I still go to Shakespeare plays whenever I can.

message 3: by Dorothy (last edited Dec 01, 2010 12:59PM) (new)

Dorothy  (vilette) | 248 comments Dot wrote: "Glen wrote: "I have found in Goodreads and another book club that many people have had a book spoiled because of it being taught in school or university. "Paradise Lost" and "Moby Dick" come to m..."

I grew up in post-war England and went to a small high school for academic girl students so it was very different from Canadian schools. It is funny but I have forgotten a lot of the books but I do remember doing "Emma", and "Lord of the Flies", "Julius Caesar" and "Romeo and Juliet" which still has the power to make me weep. In French we read "Pere Goriot" and plays by Racine and Moliere. In Latin we read "The Iliad".

I do think that as one grows older, one appreciates literature more because we have more experience of life. My attitude to plays such as "Taming of the Shrew" and "The Merchant of Venice" have both changed over the years. For example, during the early 70s I viewed "The Taming of the Shrew" through the prism of the second wave of Feminism, whereas my attitude has since softened as I learned to place the text in context with the time in which it was written.

I do think that it is wrong that students in former British colonies are taught the same syllabus as students in the UK. We received a good education but heavily biased in favour of 'the Empire'. I only learned the truth about former colonies after I emigrated to Canada in 1968.

message 4: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy  (vilette) | 248 comments Dot wrote: "Glen wrote: "I have found in Goodreads and another book club that many people have had a book spoiled because of it being taught in school or university. "Paradise Lost" and "Moby Dick" come to m..."

I would love to go to Ashland in Oregon. I do go to Bard on the Beach when I can and I think they do excellent productions.

I agree with you about Wayne Johnston's books...I think they would be great on high school syllabus.

message 5: by Roberta (last edited Dec 01, 2010 11:41AM) (new)

Roberta | 193 comments I think To Kill a Mockingbird, is still taught and i remember my son doing a number of Canadian classics for younger readers early on.

I can't say that any book was ever spoiled for me. I was lucky enough in Grade 10 to fail typing and be streamed into a special literature class for hopeless typists. The teacher was wonderful and exposed us to a good variety of books, including classics, Shakespeare, some sci fi and some Canadiana. Thanks to him I developed a lifelong love of Shakespeare. The rest of my English teachers were so so but I was hooked on reading and ignored them. I do recall one who spoke about Canadian literature as "the writing of the colonies" with a kind of sniff.

I was also lucky to have a wonderful Canadian lit teacher in university along with another who took us through some of the more obscure Shakespeare plays, including Coriolanus, and had us read them out loud to one another.

message 6: by Roberta (last edited Dec 01, 2010 01:28PM) (new)

Roberta | 193 comments I love Bard on the Beach. Their staging of 12th Night in 2008 is still one of my favorites. I'm sorry you have trouble hearing out door theatre.

My husband has declared himself a Shakespeare free zone so I go with a group of friends from Vancouver. We picnic first and it's all very civilized.