The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 25.1 - Wendy MA's task: Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Nov 29, 2010 07:50PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10992 comments 25.1 -- Wendy MA's task - Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire...
Read two books from your 'old chestnut' list (i.e., two books from your favorite genre). Both books should come from the same genre. Happy Holidays!!

message 2: by Wendy (last edited Nov 30, 2010 11:11AM) (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Fiction is a huge catchall. I distinguish fiction from mystery, sci-fi, historical fiction, southern fiction etc. Non-fiction is history, memoir, autobiography etc.

So My Life by Clinton and Audacity of Hope by Obama would be great. My Life and Outliers , no.

message 3: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments placeholder

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10992 comments This thread is now open.

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Great Task, Wendy! I am trying to fit four series into this challenge so this task really helps!

message 6: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Kathryn wrote: "Great Task, Wendy! I am trying to fit four series into this challenge so this task really helps!"

It is my XMAS gift to the SRC members!! LOL

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7849 comments yeah - thanks wendy!! one quick question - romance in general is my fav - can I pick from any sub-genre...or pick like PNR and stick to it?

message 8: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "yeah - thanks wendy!! one quick question - romance in general is my fav - can I pick from any sub-genre...or pick like PNR and stick to it?"

This seems like a good opportunity to ask: what does PNR stand for? I haven't been able to figure it out.

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7849 comments paranormal romance - normally stuff that features vampires; shifters etc...with the requisite happy every after...Urban Fantasy is the other genre you will see featuring these - but they typically more focus on a single couple;group and the relationship develops over a series of books

message 10: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments Thanks. That makes sense.

message 11: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments To me PNR and Romance are different.

message 12: by Dee (last edited Nov 30, 2010 10:58AM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7849 comments well, PNR is paranormal romance, that's why I asked...because within romance - there is contemp; historical; erotic; paranormal...

ETA - they are all found within the same section at the bookstore too (at least in mine)

message 13: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments Is "fiction" a genre....or do we have to break it down further?

message 14: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Christine US wrote: "Is "fiction" a genre....or do we have to break it down further?"

Fiction is a huge catchall. I distinguish fiction from mystery, sci-fi, historical fiction, southern fiction etc. Non-fiction is history, memoir, autobiography etc.

message 15: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments So is it OK to just use 2 works of fiction that might not be broken down anymore than that...not books about a couple falling in love, or living in the 1800s, or vampires living in Europe. Just 2 books that have good fictional stories but can't be pigeon-holed into "romance" or "dystopic"

message 16: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) I read a lot of sci-fi/fantasy. Is it okay to use that as a genre or would i have to choose 2 science fiction books OR 2 fantasy books? I only ask because in my eyes, they are different genres, but most places they are lumped together, and I supposed lumping them together would give me more freedom to choose. But if I have to pick one or the other, I certainly can.

message 17: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Christine US wrote: "So is it OK to just use 2 works of fiction that might not be broken down anymore than that...not books about a couple falling in love, or living in the 1800s, or vampires living in Europe. Just 2 ..."

Choose the books and then let me know which two you pick, then I can tell- otherwise the question is too open ended , okay? Thanks W

message 18: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Riona wrote: "I read a lot of sci-fi/fantasy. Is it okay to use that as a genre or would i have to choose 2 science fiction books OR 2 fantasy books? I only ask because in my eyes, they are different genres, but..."

2 sci-fi or 2 sci fantasy

message 19: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) Wendy wrote: "Riona wrote: "I read a lot of sci-fi/fantasy. Is it okay to use that as a genre or would i have to choose 2 science fiction books OR 2 fantasy books? I only ask because in my eyes, they are differe..."

Good to know. Thanks!

message 20: by Gayla (new)

Gayla Bassham (sophronisba) Would short story collections count as a genre? I was thinking of using Sourland: Stories and The Empty Family: Stories.

message 21: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments I really want to read The Lonely Polygamist but it's not anything I can easily define.

So I'm going with chick-lit to read:
Dogs and Goddesses & The Shop on Blossom Street

message 22: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Gayla wrote: "Would short story collections count as a genre? I was thinking of using Sourland: Stories and The Empty Family: Stories."

yes!!!!

message 23: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Gayla wrote: "Would short story collections count as a genre? I was thinking of using Sourland: Stories and The Empty Family: Stories."

yes!!!!

message 24: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Christine US wrote: "I really want to read The Lonely Polygamist but it's not anything I can easily define.

So I'm going with chick-lit to read:
Dogs and Goddesses & [book:The Shop on ..."

The Lonely Polygamist is a family drama/saga that could be paired with Edgar Sawtelle.
chick lit works too!!

message 25: by Helen (new)

Helen Southall (hsouthall) | 359 comments How about Christmas books - it is my favorite genre this time of year.

message 26: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Helen wrote: "How about Christmas books - it is my favorite genre this time of year."

Absolutely!

message 27: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Delicious Dee, are you searching for PNR suggestions?

message 28: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Tanja wrote: "Delicious Dee, are you searching for PNR suggestions?"
Everyone loves PNR suggestions- do tell!!

message 29: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments There's a Mythica series -- mythical creatures (nymphs, dryads, chimera) & romance. It was published by Nocturne (harlequin) and I highly enjoyed them since they weren't your typical "romance" novels!

Stephanie Draven -- 2 e-books and the latest published one in paperback was this past October.

message 30: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7849 comments lol...I have tons, but I think i'm going to go with Erotic Romance for my genre, since that is off all the sub-genres probably my favorite...

message 31: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7849 comments Ugh...i tried soo many times to read/listen to Edgar Sawtelle...just could do it...I don't know what it was...maybe because i've read hamlet which its based on

message 32: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments i'm a sucker for cat stories and i love non-fiction, so i'm wondering if two memoirs about cats would work? like Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World and Homer's Odyssey: a Fearless Feline Tale, or How I Learned About Love and Life with a Blind Wonder Cat. thanks! :)

message 33: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "Ugh...i tried soo many times to read/listen to Edgar Sawtelle...just could do it...I don't know what it was...maybe because i've read hamlet which its based on"

I liked Edgar Sawtelle on audio. I listened to it for 45 minutes a night until it was done.

message 34: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments kiki wrote: "i'm a sucker for cat stories and i love non-fiction, so i'm wondering if two memoirs about cats would work? like Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World and [book:Ho..."

YES!! I love Cat books, I've read most of the Lilian Braun "The Cat Who..." Books

message 35: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments yeay, thanks! :)

message 36: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacybinnj) | 2 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "Ugh...i tried soo many times to read/listen to Edgar Sawtelle...just could do it...I don't know what it was...maybe because i've read hamlet which its based on"

Hi Kiki... I just finished Homer's Odyssey A Fearless Feline Tale, or How I Learned about Love and Life with a Blind Wonder Cat by Gwen Cooper and I have to say that I'm glad it's finished. I gave it two stars and I think that was generous. Parts of it are funny and make you smile but I think the constant comment about how 3 cats was SO many and how the author worried that she was the crazy cat lady... anyway, I forced myself to finish it. Just wanted to give you the heads up! If you do read it, I hope you like it better than I did.

message 37: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7849 comments I tried...I do audiobooks on my way into work and haven't really found one yet I couldn't stand, but Edgar just didn't do it for me...I found myself listening to it one way and then something more entertaining the other way...lol!

Wendy wrote: "Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "Ugh...i tried soo many times to read/listen to Edgar Sawtelle...just could do it...I don't know what it was...maybe because i've read hamlet which its based o..."

message 38: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments I think I will do Fairytale Retellings as my genre of choice... with Midnight Pearls: A Retelling of "The Little Mermaid" and Scarlet Moon: A Retelling of "Little Red Riding Hood" as my two of choice...would that work?

message 39: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot I'll be searching through my urban fantasy books to choose my two books!

message 40: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments ★Meghan★ wrote: "I think I will do Fairytale Retellings as my genre of choice... with Midnight Pearls: A Retelling of "The Little Mermaid" and [book:Scarlet Moon: A Retelling of "Little Red Riding Hoo..."

Cool!!

message 41: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments chucklesthescot wrote: "I'll be searching through my urban fantasy books to choose my two books!"

Also cool!!

message 42: by Carey Devine (new)

Carey Devine | 14 comments Would these two books work?
The Trouble with Angels  by Debbie Macomber & Shirley Goodness And Mercy (Hardcover) by Debbie Macomber

message 43: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Carey wrote: "Would these two books work?
The Trouble with Angels  by Debbie Macomber &Shirley Goodness And Mercy (Hardcover) by Debbie Macomber"

certainly

message 44: by Zimbellina (new)

Zimbellina | 109 comments Is young adult ok as a genre or would you want it broken down more - young adult dystopian, young adult sci fi, etc?

message 45: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Kandie wrote: "Is young adult ok as a genre or would you want it broken down more - young adult dystopian, young adult sci fi, etc?"

young adult mystery, ya sci-fi, ya dystopia etc.

message 46: by Zimbellina (new)

Zimbellina | 109 comments Cool, thanks!

message 47: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Kandie wrote: "Cool, thanks!"

yw!!

message 48: by Cindie (last edited Jan 24, 2011 03:50AM) (new)

Cindie | 1793 comments Wendy wrote: "kiki wrote: "i'm a sucker for cat stories and i love non-fiction, so i'm wondering if two memoirs about cats would work? like Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World..."

Speaking of "The Cat Who..." books, do you have an opinion if LKB is still alive? That last book was very out of character for her (and her characters!) No new book has been out in a while, but if she passed away, why would that not be public knowledge? Just curious...

message 49: by Wendy (last edited Jan 24, 2011 12:51PM) (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Cindie wrote: "Wendy wrote: "kiki wrote: "i'm a sucker for cat stories and i love non-fiction, so i'm wondering if two memoirs about cats would work? like [book:Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the ..."

Lilian Jackson Braun is still alive however she was born in 1913 so at 98 her last book was cancelled by the publisher!!

message 50: by N. (new)

N. (nonodisco) | 203 comments It looks like we're being pretty strict about genre, so I was wondering whether postmodern fiction would count for this task. I might read, for example, The Crying of Lot 49 and White Noise.

« previous 1