TV We've Just Watched discussion

Cancelled/Series Ended > Men of A Certain Age

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kindledinterest (last edited Nov 29, 2010 01:31PM) (new)

Kindledinterest Maliknakis | 8 comments Did anyone here love season 1 of Men of a Certain Age as much as I did? If you did season 2 is premiering Monday Dec 6. The marketing company I work for picked up the campaign from the folks at Turner. We have been privy to some great sneak peeks, and I cannot wait to see how the season plays out.

If you missed the boat season 1, Men of a Certain Age stars Ray Romano, Andre Braugher and Scott Bakula as three best friends in their late forties dealing with the realities of middle age.

Joe (Romano), tries to connect with his kids while also struggling with the gambling problem that may have ended his marriage. The unmarried Terry (Bakula) scoffs at domestic issues but sometimes wonders if his own single life is all it’s cracked up to be. Owen (Braugher) does everything he can to climb the sales board at his father’s car dealership. Through it all, these men are there for each other when it counts.

Watch their midlife crisis Weekly on TNT or catch full episodes here:

http://turnerinfluencernetwork.com/ct...

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael | 422 comments I did and I can't wait for season two. I hope your message generates some more fans to come out of the woodwork because, no offense, it'd be more fun to talk about the show with fans than with someone who has a financial interest in the show's success.

message 3: by Christine (new)

Christine I don't know if its because I am a "woman of a certain age" or not, but I found this show to be boring and depressing. I only watched the first one and was disappointed, especially because I like all the actors. I'm glad someone is enjoying it.

message 4: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 375 comments The new season has started.

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) | 215 comments I'd given up on waiting for new shows. I couldn't tell if Monday's was a new episode or not. Something to look forward to on DVR.

message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 375 comments Monday was a new show. It tied up the loose ends from the last show and setting up this season.

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) | 215 comments Kathy wrote: "Monday was a new show. It tied up the loose ends from the last show and setting up this season."

Kathy, Thanks for letting me know that was a new show. I wasn't sure at first. I watched it and enjoyed it. I like how the characters have evolved this season.

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) | 215 comments Kathy, Did you see this weeks show? I think it was even better than last weeks episode. I like this season. I was giving up on the show at the end of last season.

message 9: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 375 comments I liked how everyone was happy with the outcome of their situations at the end. It doesn't usually happen that way for them.

message 10: by Michael (new)

Michael | 422 comments I agree that this past Monday's show was better than the premiere. One thing I'm a little clear on is the kid's anxiety problem. I know he's got one but I'm not sure what it is and why he didn't want to go to the dance. He had no problem going to the party and no problem flirting with the girl in the coffee shop.

message 11: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 375 comments He takes after his dad, indecisive, worries about outcomes, generally worries about everything. Also once he got to the party he got drunk..that's an anxiety remedy right there.

message 12: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) | 215 comments Wasn't Terry's spin on the mexican frozen dinner youtube download hysterical? That made me laugh so hard.

message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael | 422 comments Kathy wrote: "He takes after his dad, indecisive, worries about outcomes, generally worries about everything. Also once he got to the party he got drunk..that's an anxiety remedy right there."

That never worked for me because I could never get to the party :( It seemed odd to me that he could be so relaxed and flirty with the girl in the coffee shop. Joe's kids have been a complaint of mine since the beginning because I think if they're going to give him kids then they need to show him interact with them more

message 14: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) | 215 comments Noone is posting on this. I've enjoyed a few more episodes.

message 15: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 375 comments In the last episode I don't know if I could take all the jerking around that Owen takes from his father. I don't know if it's worth running the dealership with his dad and all the baggage that goes with it. Do you think he will stick with it or move on???

message 16: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) | 215 comments I'm liking his Owen's Dad less and less. This was the first time that i saw him as unethical. Owen will stay for now, but it'll be an uphill challenge for Owen to get over the hurdles. Terry cracked me up last week. I think he's hot for Teacher.

message 17: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 375 comments Oh yes he is..and someone his own age!!! He usually goes for the younger ones. I hope this one works out for him.

message 18: by Michael (new)

Michael | 422 comments I don't mind Owen's dad because I enjoy the whole trying to please a dad that can't be pleased storyline, but I didn't like the new twist that he might be unethical. This has been a great season for Terry and not bad for Joe either but I really can't stand the woman he's seeing even though I can understand why he chose her. Season finale (already) next week :(

message 19: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 375 comments Yeah, these short seasons drive me crazy. Just when you start getting into the characters and all the season is over.

message 20: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) | 215 comments No way. It's over that fast. I've thoroughly enjoyed this season.

Joe's definitely got a bad girl and its yet to see whether that relationship can go anywhere. I'm surprised Joe got overwrought with guilt on his date with the other woman--it was just a date, but then that's Joe.

message 21: by Michael (new)

Michael | 422 comments You mean the tennis player? I didn't think it was a guilt thing with her but more a not wanting anything serious again thing.

message 22: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) | 215 comments Yeah the tennis lady. I loathed how Joe handled that that right at the front door like that before the first date. Instead of just going on the date and then saying how he felt.

message 23: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Christine wrote: "I don't know if its because I am a "woman of a certain age" or not, but I found this show to be boring and depressing. I only watched the first one and was disappointed, especially because I like ..."

I think it's BECAUSE I'm a "woman of a certain age" that I like this show. Of course, Romano & Bakula have passed 50 a few years ago, so Braugher is the only one on the sunny side of 50, but that's okay. Plus I really liked the music!

message 24: by Angie (new)

Angie I love this show. I am not of a "certain age" but I see some things in these men's lives that I have experienced in mine. Maybe I am relating more to this show now then say 90210. I wanted to see more about Joe's kids from last season.

message 25: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) | 215 comments Yesterday's episode was hilarious. I've enjoyed this season so far. Owen has really come into his own this year. The episode had an element of team work and it came together. There is promise for growth for both Joe and Terry. Terry's come-upins was totally hysterical. In reverse i could totally relate to Terry's younger girlfriend when i was in the non-exclusive dating world. I kind of like Joe's character, but he spends way too much time feeling sorry for himself and running from his problems.

message 26: by Michael (new)

Michael | 422 comments I'm kind of the opposite as you. I'm so uninterested in Joe and I'm tired of waiting for Terry to grow up just a little bit that I didn't bother with last week's show until someone told me I'd like it because of the softball game. They were right, I did like it, but I don't know if it's enough to keep me watching the show. I don't mind serial dramas, but they have to go somewhere to hold my interest and this one isn't going anywhere. The only thing I like about the show is Andre Braugher.

message 27: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) | 215 comments Thanks for chiming in, i didn't realize i was a week behind. I'll check out the newest one this weekend. Owen is my favorite character also.

message 28: by Michael (new)

Michael | 422 comments Because of your message I decided to go back and watch the 06/22 episode and it was pretty good.

message 29: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) | 215 comments Good deal.

message 30: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) | 215 comments Caught up on this seasons episodes. I liked the last two episodes. Only one more for the season. I hope the next episode is a strong closer. Regarding the last episodes, don't feel bad for Joe, he needs to get help and get his head straight. Terry ended up Writing/Directing Owen's commercial instead of Acting? Funny. Also worth mentioning, Owen's car cam was pretty funny stuff.

message 31: by Michael (new)

Michael | 422 comments I also liked the last episode and, like you, I don't feel bad for Joe. I haven't felt bad for Joe since the first episode though because I think he's incredibly selfish and immature. I also think Terry's a jerk.

message 32: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) | 215 comments Yeah, Terry's a serious jerk, but he's entertaining. Owen is the only admirable character, but then you have the two screw ups and the link back to their youth. On Terry, I love that line he keeps saying about the angry waitress who he saw a few times. "We never defined things." I'm like he still hangs and eats there? REALLY?

message 33: by Holli (new)

Holli I just read online that this show has been cancelled......

message 34: by Holli (new)

Holli Cable channel TNT has decided to cancel Men of a Certain Age after two seasons on the air.

Starring Ray Romano, Andre Braugher, and Scott Bakula, Men of a Certain Age follows the lives of three best friends as they face the realities of middle age.

Having debuted in December of 2009, the first season of Men attracted a 1.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 3.2 million total viewers. While the season started off strong, viewership quickly dwindled. Still, that was enough to see it renewed for a second season.

Year two kicked off last December to a 0.6 rating and 2.4 million viewers, essentially matching the lowest-rated episode of season one. The numbers got even worse.

TNT split year two into a pair of half-seasons with six installments each. The first half averaged a poor 0.5 demo rating with 2.16 million viewers. The second half didn’t bring any better news, garnering a 0.4 demo and 1.59 million.

With numbers like these, it’s no surprise that TNT has decided against ordering season three. The July 6th installment ends up being the defacto series finale.

A statement from TNT explains it this way: “TNT has been proud to be a part of Men of a Certain Age for two seasons. While the show has featured great storytelling and impeccable performances, the audience simply hasn’t built to the point where we can continue the series. This was an extremely difficult decision for us. We wish Ray Romano, Mike Royce and the terrific cast and crew of Men of a Certain Age the very best and look forward to exploring new programming possibilities in the future

message 35: by Angie (new)

Angie Holli wrote: "Cable channel TNT has decided to cancel Men of a Certain Age after two seasons on the air.

Starring Ray Romano, Andre Braugher, and Scott Bakula, Men of a Certain Age follows the lives of three..."

What?? ? ? I am sooooo bummed about this. ERRRRR. I just can't believe this. It is (was) such a good show.

message 36: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) | 215 comments Holli wrote: "Cable channel TNT has decided to cancel Men of a Certain Age after two seasons on the air.

Starring Ray Romano, Andre Braugher, and Scott Bakula, Men of a Certain Age follows the lives of three..."

I'll miss that show. I guess that's the way it goes. I hope TNT puts a solid show in that time slot.

message 37: by Scott (new)

Scott Cherney (scherney) Splitting the second season into two six episodes blocks was idiotic. That's something the broadcast networks do, not cable. Boneheads. Hey, maybe they'll put on another cop show!

message 38: by Angie (new)

Angie I wish they would've finished the show and not left us up in the air. Just watched the last one.

message 39: by Angie (new)

Angie Scott wrote: "Splitting the second season into two six episodes blocks was idiotic. That's something the broadcast networks do, not cable. Boneheads. Hey, maybe they'll put on another cop show!"

Always another cop show.

message 40: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) | 215 comments i know this was like the only middle-aged-man show i've ever seen on tv, it was kind of like a choppier "aged" Brothers McCollum made into a tv-series.

message 41: by Jerry (new)

Jerry (sanddawgg) | 2 comments Frustrating to see this one go.. if AMC cancels Breaking Bad and Mad Men there won't be much left worth watching.. hey I know, they could replace this with a reality show!