Atomic Fez Publishing discussion

John Llewellyn Probert
This topic is about John Llewellyn Probert
Atomic Fez Author Interviews > An interview with John Llewellyn Probert, author of Wicked Delights

Comments (showing 1-3 of 3) (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ruth, Marketing Maven (last edited Nov 29, 2010 11:31AM) (new)

Ruth Seeley (ruthseeley) | 23 comments Mod
Tea or coffee?
Coffee - vast quantities of it. In fact the shelves of the pantry at Probert Towers are stacked with the stuff. I grew up in a tea-drinking family but nowadays it’s the wonderful world of coffee that keeps me going – everything from a manly cup of hot lava-java to the more flamboyant gingerbread latte for when I’m out and about and dressed in my burgundy velvet smoking jacket.

City mouse or country mouse?
I fear neither would last long in one of my stories. As for myself I am sure everyone who knows me would agree that comparisons between myself and a mouse are entirely redundant. I grew up in the country but have spent much of my life in the city and agree with Sherlock Holmes that the countryside has the potential to be by far the more terrifying place.

Wine or beer?
My beer drinking days (i.e. university) are over. Fine wine is far more civilised and leaves me with far less of a hangover. Consequently while the pantry is stocked with coffee, the dungeons are stocked with wine. Next to all the other things you would normally find in a dungeon, of course.

Jazz or blues?
Jazz is far too undisciplined for me, and blues far too miserable. While I can understand why someone might feel the need to all but randomly assign notes to the instrument they’re playing regardless of what is written on the page (if jazz even has manuscript), I have no wish whatsoever to endure music written by individuals wallowing in self pity when they could have been using the time they spent writing the song to start sorting their lives out. And yes I do mean you, Country and Western music. 'Stand by Your Man,' sang multiple divorcee Tammy Wynette and if she never got the point then what hope for her listeners?

Cats or dogs?
I’m afraid I’m not much of a pet person. I do hear howls outside Probert Towers from time to time but that’s most likely what’s left of people who didn’t like the last book.

How do you feel about snails?
Well, they’re hermaphrodites which must be rather jolly, mustn’t it? All they have to do is find another snail and it's twice the fun. No wonder they spend the rest of their time moving around so slowly.

How old were you when you got your first library card?
My parents tended to buy me books as they thought bringing volumes home from the library might also introduce communicable diseases into the house, but I was a member of our lovely big dusty old Victorian school library from about the age of nine. In fact I may have been the only member of that library as I always remember being in there alone.

What's the first book you remember reading on your own?
Dr Who and the Daleks by David Whittaker. I must have been about six years old. It was a Saturday and I was ill and my father got it for me in town because he knew I was obsessed with the television programme. I sat covered in blankets in an armchair in the lounge and made my way through as much of it as I could.

What's the book you've reread most often (and why do you keep rereading it)?
One presumes you mean fiction here as I have read certain surgical textbooks more times than I care to remember (although fortunately for everyone else I can remember their contents). It’s very difficult for me to say but the first book that springs to mind is Michael Moorcock’s Behold the Man which I think is easily a candidate for best science fiction novel ever written. It was one of the very few times that a book has been able to stun me on several levels, and when I read it now I still can’t get over just how clever the entire endeavour is.

Who's the author/what's the book/to whom/with which you'd most like Wicked Delights to be compared?
He has been mentioned many times in relation to my work and while much of his work is understandably dated now it has to be Robert Bloch. As I say in the introduction to Wicked Delights, the most important thing for me is for fiction to be entertaining and to make it worthwhile for all the people I write for who I know lead extremely busy lives to feel that the half an hour or so they’re spent ‘with me’ hasn’t been wasted. Plus I think he had an awful lot of fun writing his stories and I definitely do.

What's the one thing you'd like to say to say to someone reading Wicked Delights]?
Please let me know if you enjoyed it. And if you didn’t I’d be very happy to go through it with you in more detail in the dungeon.

Why do you write?
Because there isn’t always someone within earshot for me to just tell the story to. Wicked Delights by John Llewellyn Probert

message 2: by Ian, Tiny Proprietor (new)

Ian (AtomicFez) | 12 comments Mod
John Llewellyn Probert is easily one of the most entertaining authors around these days. As is evidenced by his answers.

message 3: by Ruth, Marketing Maven (new)

Ruth Seeley (ruthseeley) | 23 comments Mod
I'm actually a fan of Tammy Wynette, but having tried to listen to her the day I got the news my father died, I certainly understand JLP's aversion. ;)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Wicked Delights (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

John Llewellyn Probert (other topics)