Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '09 - '10 > Afterlight - Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments This thread is for the discussion of: Afterlight by Elle Jasper
Afterlight (The Dark Ink Chronicles, #1) by Elle Jasper

to begin in December.

Please note this thread will most likely contain spoilers. If you would like to post a comment or ask a question without seeing spoilers please visit the DEC BOM Roll Call Thread

message 2: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 130 comments I'm less than a hundred pages in. So far, I like the book. Not much is happening, it's a little slow right now but I think it because this is the first book in a series. It's building the world, introducing the characters and setting the scene for the story.

message 3: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I'm still waiting for my copy from the library.

message 4: by Jacki (new)

Jacki (jackirenee) Finished this book yesterday and was highly disappointed. It started off great, but I really got sick of listening to Riley's head talk about how tough she is and how rough her childhood was. We get it already. And Eli just turned out to be an Edward for grown-ups.

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 672 comments I am almost done with this book and while it is a pretty good read there is a lot about it that reminds me of Twilight.....in fact when I read the prologue and the "irrevocably in love" I almost did not continue.....so aside from that so far its pretty good

message 6: by KarenF (new)

KarenF (cleocleveland) | 51 comments I ended up liking this book despite the Twilight vibe. I was home sick from work today and it was a perfect book to read in between naps. I found it enjoyable even though Riley's voice does get repetitive at times (her past, her look, how she feels about everyone). Still, I liked the other characters, especially the vamp siblings and Nyx. And I'm curious enough about the ongoing plot that I'll probably pick up the second one when it comes out.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_anne) | 253 comments I liked this book. It felt like a lighter version of Adrian Phoenix's Maker's Song series. Not sure why... I didn't make the connection to Twilight until reading the posts above. I guess I can see that.

Personally, I am interested in finding out more about Victorian...

Leslie Bhargava | 2 comments I thought the book was ok but not memorable.

message 9: by Jacki (new)

Jacki (jackirenee) Karen wrote: "I ended up liking this book despite the Twilight vibe. I was home sick from work today and it was a perfect book to read in between naps. I found it enjoyable even though Riley's voice does get r..."

I agree. The secondary characters were far more interesting to me. I would love to know more of the back story on Josie.

message 10: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments I finished this one and while I really liked a lot of the aspects of the story, I rated it only 2 stars. The reason being that how Preacher and Estelle talked drove me nuts. I really liked them and how they took in Riley and Sam. Of course I am the same person that can't use short hand when I text because it irritates me, so I think that is the reason why that language bothered me. I get that with them being Gullah it matches, it is just my personal hang up.

message 11: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I just finished this book this morning.. it was a really quick read and while I thought it was interesting, it wasn't the best book I've ever read.

Also, did anyone else see similarities between this book and Twilight?? For some reason I couldn't get that comparison out of my head!

I will read the next book, AfterDark, to see what happens with Victorian, that sounds like an interesting plot line.

Lori {Romancing the Dark Side} (romancingthedarkside) | 58 comments I finished this one this weekend and loved it! I love a feisty heroine, a HOT vampire hero and that love-hate relationship Riley and Eli had at the beginning. I wasn't too fond of the way the vampires transformed in the book though (reminded me a little of the movie 30 Days of Night, I like my vampires to stay sexy..LOL).

I didn't really see the resemblance to Twilight besides the irrevocably in love sentence, Afterlight is a pretty original story. I look forward to reading the next in the series!

message 13: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments How's everyone else doing with this one? Any comments?

message 14: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilithesque) Huh. I am reading this right now. I like the world building and the charicters are somewhat compelling. It is flowing about average. The romance is very PNR. So far it reminds of gothic southern LA ink with monsters. Can anyone say Kat.

But anyway, the greatest strenghth is the world/magic building, at least so far.

But it is original enough to keep me reading. As a matter of fact I am off to do just that.

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Lisa O'malley (lisagrl42) | 21 comments I really liked this book, Riley did repeat herself in some instances, but overall story was good. I can't wait to see how the relationship between Riley/Eli/Victorian is going to turn out, I will definitely read book #2.

This author reminded me of a cross between Adrian Phoenix & Linda Robertson.

message 16: by Hbeebti (new)

Hbeebti (amanda0325) Overall I though that this was a great starter for the series. Most of the time I wanted to hear what Eli was thinking. I thought Riley was great! Seth was just too cute. The whole thing with Vic was disturbing tho. Does anyone know if this is a trilogy? I wish that she would have a book about Eli's brothers. I loved them. Cant wait to see where this goes in the next book. But I will be highly upset if things with Riley progress with the villain. lol I love Eli!