The Sword and Laser discussion

Help the hosts Pronunciation thread

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mathew (new)

Mathew Reverman (reverman) | 28 comments Based on a comment from Veronica on Sword and laser #47 post in this thread how you want your username pronounced, and if you want state if you are male or female so they get the he/she thing right. I'll start:

Rev (as in rev your engine)- er (like at the end of river) - man (pronounced like "min" and I have no idea why it is not pronounced "man")

so you have:

Rev-er-min

and I'm a dude.

message 2: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6393 comments Btw, Ursula K. LeGuin = 'LeGwin' :)

message 3: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments My name isn't pronounced "shon". It's "throat-warbler mangrove."

message 4: by Noel (new)

Noel Baker | 364 comments I say old chap, are you one of the Surrey Throat-Warbler Mangroves? Pater's cousin was engaged to one once.

message 5: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Noel wrote: "I say old chap, are you one of the Surrey Throat-Warbler Mangroves? Pater's cousin was engaged to one once."

No, the Cholmondeley Throat-Warbler Mangroves, though we moved to Featherstonehaugh several years back.

message 6: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1723 comments Mod
You have no idea how delighted I am that there's a Wikipedia page called "List of names in English with counterintuitive pronunciations."

message 7: by Armen (new)

Armen Chakmakjian Armen ( the letter "R", then Men)

Chakmakjian
Chak (like "Chock full of Nuts")
mak (like "don't mock me"
ji (like "Gee that's weird)
an (like "high on life")

People see the "kj" and think hmmm...this must be an s or an r or somthing. no, just two distinct consonants butt up against each other

message 8: by Philip (new)

Philip (heard03) | 383 comments Okay, the "Ph" at the beginning of my name actually makes an "f" sound- um, never mind......

message 9: by Noel (new)

Noel Baker | 364 comments Sean wrote: "Noel wrote: "I say old chap, are you one of the Surrey Throat-Warbler Mangroves? Pater's cousin was engaged to one once."

No, the Cholmondeley Throat-Warbler Mangroves, though we moved to Feathe..."

Hehe.......moved next to the St. John Mainwarings no doubt.

message 10: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6393 comments Let's all convert to Esperanto.

message 11: by Al (last edited Nov 28, 2010 03:55PM) (new)

Al | 159 comments Al is pronounced like it's spelled.

message 12: by Skip (new)

Skip | 517 comments Al wrote: "Al is pronounced like it's spelled."

Ay-Ell? ;)

message 13: by Tom (new)

Tom Gehrke (tomgehrke) Tom Gehrke. Tom pronounced as Tom. Gehrke with a hard "g" (as in "go") and rhyming with "turkey".

You have no idea how difficult it was when I was younger and Thanksgiving rolled around. I still cringe when I hear children singing, "Hello, Tom Turkey." *shiver*

I also get "Tom Jerky" a lot. I am unsure as to whether that reflects an attempt at pronouncing my last name or some sort of assessment on my personality.

Regardless. If it comes up...

Tom Grrr-key

message 14: by Al (new)

Al | 159 comments Skip wrote: "Al wrote: "Al is pronounced like it's spelled."

Ay-Ell? ;)"

No, no, that would be spelled like it's spelled...often a simpler task.

message 15: by Remy (new)

Remy | 24 comments I created the account with 'Remy' because I'm sick of my full name Jeremy being pronounced Jermey (germ-y). BTW, I may have a cold but am not full of germs.