Building a SciFi/Fantasy Library discussion

discussions > Robert Jordan

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carl (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

Carl | 38 comments I was writing this earlier, but my office-mate deleted it, so here goes again.
I just heard that Robert Jordan died:
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gB...
I'm pretty saddened by this, however bloated his books were getting in the Wheel of Time series. I'd stopped reading maybe 8 years ago to wait til they were finished so I could read them all at one go (however long that would take!), and to have it left unfinished (as well as hearing that an author I grew up on has died) is tragic. I know he's gotten some flack for how unwieldy the series was getting, but I still see him as a bit of an innovator-- as far as I know, he got the whole "enormous books in an enormous series" trend going, much like Tolkien made the trilogy a canonical form in the field (but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)-- and I thought he created an interesting and original world, however much he borrowed from the likes of Herbert, Tolkien, etc. I'd like to hear what others think, or whether anyone knows if the series could possibly be concluded from his notes or something like that.

message 2: by Lorena (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Lorena (lsneal) | 6 comments I was seriously bummed out by this, too. According the wikipedia article on Jordan, anyway (citing to his blog, which seems to be down for the moment), the 12th and supposedly last book (tentatively titled "A Memory Of Light") was in process, projected by Jordan to be a 1500-page monster to tie up all the loose ends, and he shared the significant plot details with his family shortly before his death. I know he's always said in all his interviews that he had the end planned out from the beginning, so given all of that, I'm sure they'll have someone knock out a version of it at some point. But how long that will be, and how they will deal with all of the (yes, bloated) storylines at this point...who knows.