Anglicans discussion

Non Anglican Authors > My Name is Asher Lev

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cindy (last edited Nov 25, 2010 08:07AM) (new)

Cindy Erlandson | 2 comments My Name Is Asher Lev and The Gift of Asher Lev

I believe that any Christian or Jewish person who is interested in art of any kind, would be engrossed by these novels. Asher is a child prodigy who begins practicing his gift of drawing at a very young age. He is also a member of an orthodox Jewish group which, by his own account, does not have art anywhere on its radar screen. His father's life is traveling for the Rebbe (rabbi), and he is very offended and perplexed that his son appears to be interested only in art, which seems to him to be at best a waste of time. He studies art with a famous artist who is a non-religious Jewish man. He begins to become famous himself, to his family's confusion. Eventually he knows he must find a way to portray the intense suffering that his mother has endured, and can find that way only in Christian art. In his first art show, the sensations of the show are two paintings of his mother done in the style of crucifixions. The rest of the story portrays the dramatic changes in Asher's life as a result of his community's reaction to these paintings.

message 2: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. Hi Cindy,

Boy, they both seem really interesting. I am going to order "My name is Asher Lev," from my local library. I've been wanting to read this.

I remember Skylar in our group, posting about reading this and enjoying it. Her review of the book made me want to read it as does what you have written here Cindy.

message 3: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. I just ordered My name is Asher Lev, based on so many of the good reviews. This will be a nice Christmas holiday read.

message 4: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Erlandson | 2 comments Karen L. wrote: "I just ordered My name is Asher Lev, based on so many of the good reviews. This will be a nice Christmas holiday read."

Great! I'll really look forward to finding out what you think about it, and whether it had the same sort of effect on you as it did on me! Merry Christmas!

message 5: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. I thought I ordered My Name is Asher Lev, but when I picked up my library order, it was, The Gift of Asher Lev.

Could I read that one first, or will it not be as good without the background of the earlier book?

message 6: by Skylar (new)

Skylar Burris (skylarburris) | 134 comments I liked My Name is Asher Lev quite a bit. I have yet to get around to the second, but this reminds me I want to read it.

message 7: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. The Asher Lev books are a part of my New Year resolution of reading. I have been busy, but things are slowing down. I will finish my George MacDonald book and then jump into My Name is Asher Lev. Today is a snowed in day, so I am hoping that after dinner I can go hide in my room under warm blankets and read, read, read!