Barnes & Noble Nook discussion

Nook - The Technical Side > NOOK 1.5 Software Update is Here! Enjoy New Features!

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lori {Romancing the Dark Side} (romancingthedarkside) The new update is here!

Check it out here:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/co...

message 2: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) I've done the update and am loving it!

I didn't think the shelves were coming to My Documents, but it did and it's so amazingly easy to make shelves and add books to them.

I haven't tested out the page turning yet, I'm just too excited about the shelves.

Lori {Romancing the Dark Side} (romancingthedarkside) I'm still loading my update, had to do it manually with my computer, it wasn't working with Wi-Fi :( Can't wait to see the new features!

message 4: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) WiFi worked for me... quickly too. This is the first update I've had to do and I was very surprised at the speed and ease of loading it.

message 5: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) Can anybody tell me, if you have a series, but one book is in your My Docs and another is in your B&N Library, do they show up next to each other on that Shelf if you put them both there? Does that make sense?

message 6: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) Sadly it only shows up in the folders for each library - so you won't see My Document books in your B&N Library folders.

You don't have to remake folders for both libraries though, they appear in both.

message 7: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) Thanks! I think I might stick with my rooted nook and see if NookDevs comes out with an update.

message 8: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) Wow, I didn't even hear it was out yet. Heading over to download...

message 9: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Sloan (crystal_sloan) I keep getting an error message when I try it over my WIFI. Trying the manual download instead...

::crosses fingers::

message 10: by Jane (new)

Jane (daggerjane) I got the update before B&N even sent out the emails about it (either because I was in the store when I got it or because B&N was a little late with the emails lol) and I love it.

I was reading a book just before it started, so the page-turn speed was pretty fresh on my mind and I did feel like it was faster after the update. I'm really excited about the shelves. I read somewhere that they weren't going to give us the option for the "My Documents" section, so when I saw it there, I was so excited I said "Yessss!" right in the middle of the little Starbucks cafe thing. So awesome :]

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Crystal wrote: "I keep getting an error message when I try it over my WIFI. Trying the manual download instead...

::crosses fingers::"

I also had a problem downloading through the WiFi. The manual update worked fine and added a few bookshelves already! :)

message 12: by Bekah (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 25 comments Carrie (Care) wrote: "Thanks! I think I might stick with my rooted nook and see if NookDevs comes out with an update."

I'm sorry, what is NookDevs?

message 13: by Bekah (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 25 comments I love the shelves feature as well. I only wish I could do it in Nook for PC as well. I use that a lot of the time just to see what I have - it would be nice to have the shelves there and then have it sync with my nook.

I do LOVE that I can password protect my nook now. That's completely exciting to me.

I haven't look into it yet, but maybe one of you know - is it possible to use nook pc or nook books etc on a windows phone?

message 14: by Raggedyann (new)

Raggedyann | 62 comments Go to B&N website and look for their applications. I think they have an app for Windows phones. If so, that's where you can find it.

message 15: by Bekah (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 25 comments thanks!

message 16: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) Bekah wrote: "Carrie (Care) wrote: "Thanks! I think I might stick with my rooted nook and see if NookDevs comes out with an update."

I'm sorry, what is NookDevs?"

They are the ones that came out with the soft rooting software for the Nook. Basically they are hackers. I didn't like the way the Nook ran so I installed their software. I have always had collections on my Nook, all of my books (including side loaded) are in one spot, and I can see the cover flow for all books. It can void your warranty though, so it is only for people that know what they are doing.

message 17: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) Has anyone noticed the fonts being weird while reading a book? The text is seems darker and a bit smaller. I use Small Light Classic... but... it's different than before now. When I first turn on my nook (from sleeping) the font is like what it was before the update, but as soon as I change a page it gets smaller and darker - it;s like the text is bold now.

message 18: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) The font is supposed to be darker and easier to read. Some people are saying it might be as good as the pearl screens.

message 19: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) I thought it was plenty dark before... it's not so much that the font is dark, it's that it's bold - so the letters are a bit wider.

message 20: by Bekah (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 25 comments Carrie (Care) wrote: "Bekah wrote: "Carrie (Care) wrote: "Thanks! I think I might stick with my rooted nook and see if NookDevs comes out with an update."

I'm sorry, what is NookDevs?"

They are the ones that came out ..."

Oh, ok! Thanks...sounds interesting....

message 21: by Shanna (new)

Shanna (snowie) | 8 comments I love this update, does anyone know if they are planning to combine my documents and the BN library at some point?

message 22: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (darwindog96) My Nook just crashed when I went to do the update. Don't think it necessarily had to do with the update because I don't notice anyone else having the same problem (freezing when restarting). Check battery and tried hard reset and no luck. After going through everything with their customer service, B&N is replacing unit even thought it's nearly a year old and no warranty.

B&N customer service has been great both on the phone and online. I am however, without my Nook until after Thanksgiving!! (will have to use the iphone app ;)

message 23: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) Without a Nook? That's horrible! D=

Glad to hear B&N really wanted to take care of you with this and is sending you a new device. That's great of them. I still need to call about my charger... hopefully I'll get the same great customer service everyone else seems to be getting.

message 24: by Susan (new)

Susan | 7 comments I have a couple questions. I am not electronically savvy. I am hoping someone can explain. Have you heard that the software update was already on my nook. I thought you had to do it yourself. I don't know if my son is being lazy... Second, a few have been talking about the book shelves. What are the shelves for?? What is the big deal about them.

I am a book blogger, and I just recieved a ebook. I downloaded it on my computer. I have tried to figure out how to get the book on my nook. I thought I had did the digital download that is supported by the nook. I can't figure out what is wrong can someone help? Thanks so much.

message 25: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) Susan, your Nook can update to 1.5 if you search for new B&N content on your Nook. You will know if you have 1.5 if when you go to your Nooks settings it shows 1.5 listed as the software version.

People like the bookshelves because it helps them organize their Nook. You can make shelves for series, genres, read/unread, etc...

As for the ebook, what format is it, epub, pdf, or something else? I use Calibre to load my ebooks, it is a free program that can convert non DRM ebooks (which you might or might not need), then you just hit the Send To Device button and it sends it to your Nook (when you have your Nook connected to your computer). You can also use Adobe Digital Editions to load it on your Nook as long as it is epub or pdf.

message 26: by Annie (new)

Annie | 1 comments I have a question about the software update -- I wonder if anyone here can help me! It's been a couple of weeks since I last used my Nook and I just saw that it had a software update waiting. I decided to do it manually since the automatic download never seems to work.

So, I downloaded and transferred it to Nook main folder in My Comp. and then safely removed the Nook from my computer... but after it was disconnected, the Nook didn't register the update. Did I do something wrong or miss a step? I even checked for new B&N content in My Library.

The only other time my Nook has had an update, I was in the B&N store and so it was automatic. I'm not sure what I've missed!

message 27: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (darwindog96) Synching - did I read wrong or is there supposed to be a sync if you read off your Nook and then, say, an iphone? I've not noticed it but maybe synch isn't there?

message 28: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) Annie wrote: "I have a question about the software update -- I wonder if anyone here can help me! It's been a couple of weeks since I last used my Nook and I just saw that it had a software update waiting. I dec..."

Annie, sounds to me like you did it correctly. You transferred it directly to the main Nook directory, right? Not into a folder?

Have you tried turning your Nook off and on again? It that doesn't work, I'd take it into the store and see if they can help. Good luck.

message 29: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) Shannon wrote: "Synching - did I read wrong or is there supposed to be a sync if you read off your Nook and then, say, an iphone? I've not noticed it but maybe synch isn't there?"

I think they're having a bit of trouble with the synching. I have an Android phone app and when I read from the Nook it updates my phone app, but if I read on my phone app it doesn't update my Nook.

message 30: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 12 comments My computer Nook synchs w/my Nook, but my Nook doesn't synch w/my computer.

Jean Valjean (OG 2010) (courfeyrack) Ellen, try shutting it off and then turning it back on. Wait for it to boot, plug it into your computer and then drag at drop the update into the nook folder that pops up. Don't put it into any of the subfolders like My Documents or anything like that. Just put it in there. When it's done transferring, then unplug it and it should take.

message 32: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 12 comments I'll try that. Thanks!

message 33: by willaful, dedicated nookworm (new)

willaful | 414 comments Mod
JK wrote: "I thought it was plenty dark before... it's not so much that the font is dark, it's that it's bold - so the letters are a bit wider."

I didn't see anyone answer this, but I'm guessing your font got reset. My nook has two font choices.