Movies We've Just Watched discussion

LISTS, LISTS, AND MORE LISTS > That movie you've always wanted to see, but can't...

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) What movie is on the top of your list of things you know you must see (or have been told by everyone and their mother is the BEST. THING. EVER.), but you've never actually been able to? Not because you never got to the theater, but because it was never released in your country, or in a format you have the equipment to handle, or whatever?

For me, it's Memories of Underdevelopment. Everyone talks about it, but as long as I've been looking for it, I'm not convinced it actually exists.

message 2: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (Webalina) | 583 comments The vast majority of films everybody and their mother has told me was the BEST.THING.EVER. turned out to be crap.

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) Cindy wrote: "The vast majority of films everybody and their mother has told me was the BEST.THING.EVER. turned out to be crap."

Given my political views, I assume that will be the case with Memories of Underdevelopment. But it usually gets mentioned in the same breath as The Man with a Movie Camera, which I adore, so...

message 4: by Steve (last edited Nov 23, 2010 05:17AM) (new)

Steve | 957 comments MEMORIES OF UNDERDEVELOPMENT is available on DVD from Mr. Bongo Films. It's for sale on Amazon.

http://amzn.to/hTug9Y

message 5: by Steve (new)

Steve | 957 comments How about Robert Bresson's FOUR NIGHTS OF A DREAMER. Unavailable on VHS or DVD, I think because Bresson's wife won't allow it. (Or something, I don't know the details offhand.)

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) Damn, it's PAL...

message 7: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 141 comments It's easiest enough to get region free DVD players. But if I need to see a PAL movie, I just watch it on my laptop using VLC or stream it to my TV if others want to watch.

I also compare the movie length on PAL vs NTSC (or region 1 vs regions 2,4), since some movies are cut, presumably to spare American sensibilities.

message 8: by Baxter (new)

Baxter (julietrocksmysocks) | 589 comments An Italian zombie movie called Zeder. I hear it is absolutely brilliant and one of the best zombie movies out there, but I just can't find it. They have some copies on Amazon, but most are (apparently) censored pretty heavily.

Also, though I haven't searched too hard for it yet, a silent Japanese film called A Page of Madness caught my eye yesterday and looks extremely great, but it isn't on Netflix, and a quick look through Amazon didn't turn up anything.

message 9: by Phillip (last edited Nov 24, 2010 11:07AM) (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments japanese cinema seems to have its challenges making it to america. there are lots of things that have made it over, but there are also a lot of mizoguchi films (among other great directors) that i'd like to see, but have never been released in america - even on VHS.

i also really really wish criterion would release los olvidados, and/or the criminal life of archibaldo de la cruz (both bunuel films) on dvd.

message 10: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments has anyone heard of THE ROOM?

i just read this piece on it in harper's, sort of heralding it as a classic cult film. i hadn't heard about it until now, and it's playing in my general neighborhood. it came out in 2003, that's about all i know on it.

message 11: by Baxter (new)

Baxter (julietrocksmysocks) | 589 comments Phillip wrote: "has anyone heard of THE ROOM?

i just read this piece on it in harper's, sort of heralding it as a classic cult film. i hadn't heard about it until now, and it's playing in my general neighborhood...."

I've heard of it, but never got around to seeing it. I know the whole cult following is because it is apparently absolutely hilariously awful, but outside of that, I've got nothing.

message 12: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) Baxter wrote: "An Italian zombie movie called Zeder."

Ha-- just picked this up a couple of days ago! I shall report back on whether it's painfully censored or not by the end of the weekend.

message 13: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (Webalina) | 583 comments Phillip wrote: "has anyone heard of THE ROOM?

i just read this piece on it in harper's, sort of heralding it as a classic cult film. i hadn't heard about it until now, and it's playing in my general neighborhood...."

I read about THE ROOM in Empire (U.K. film mag). It's supposed to be so bad that it makes PLAN NINE FROM OUTER SPACE look like BLADE RUNNER. I told an online friend of mine about it, he bought it, and loves it so much he screens it for everybody that visits his home. He says it's every bit as bad as its reputation. I'm dying to see it myself.

message 14: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5484 comments I've been hearing about THE ROOM for quite a while now, but haven't had the chance to see it. It seems to be the 21st Century PLAN NINE.

Is it available on DVD?

message 15: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (Webalina) | 583 comments Tom wrote: "I've been hearing about THE ROOM for quite a while now, but haven't had the chance to see it. It seems to be the 21st Century PLAN NINE.

Is it available on DVD?"

As far as I know. I believe my friend ordered it from Amazon, although I wouldn't swear to it.

message 16: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5484 comments Thanks, Cindy. THE ROOM is now #1 on my Netflix queue.

message 17: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments yeah, i've got to check this out.

message 18: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (Webalina) | 583 comments Supposedly the guy who made THE ROOM -- can't recall his name at the moment -- at first took the film completely seriously and thought he was doing something important. He has since said in interviews that it's all a big joke. I kinda think he's just trying to cover up that he can't direct (or act...he stars too) his way out of a paper bag.

You're welcome, guys. Always glad to help my fellow cinephiles. :)

message 19: by Phillip (last edited Nov 29, 2010 11:41AM) (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments the article i read stated that he paid for a billboard to advertise the film on sunset blvd for nearly three years .... clearly he was invested in the project. (those billboards cost about $5000 a month)

message 20: by Tom (new)

message 21: by Steve (new)

Steve | 957 comments Sounds incredible. Netflixing it now.

message 22: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta I have always wanted to see "Leningrad Cowboys Meet Moses" but cannot find a copy. For that matter, I would love to re-watch (or own) "Leningrad Cowboys Go America". I saw it once on VHS, but it was never released on US format DVD.

message 23: by Esther (new)

Esther Greenleaf | 65 comments From a list I made of movies not on Netflix (S means they're in the Saved section of my queue). I'm aware that some of these were available on DVD and went out of print, but I haven't looked for copies to buy.

Allonsanfan [It 74, Taviani bros]
S - Antonio das Mortes [Brazil 69]
S - The Apu Trilogy (Pather Panchali, Aparajito, The World of Apu)
Asterix cartoons from the 60s and 70s (Asterix the Gaul, Asterix and Cleopatra, The 12 tasks of Asterix, etc)
The Barber of Siberia [Russia 89]
Before the Revolution [It 64]
Bhowani Junction [58]
The Birch Interval [76]
S - The Bitter Tea of General Yen [33]
S - The Boat is Full [Switz 81]
S - Brighton Rock [UK 47]
The Canterville Ghost [44]
Carnival in Flanders [Fr 36]
Carry on Cleo [UK 64]
Carry on up the Khyber [UK 68]
S - Cavalcade [33]
Chimes at Midnight [Fr 65]
Civilization [1916]
A Day in the Death of Joe Egg [UK 72]
The Dead [Ireland 87]
Death watch [Fr 80]
Dr. Ehrlich's magic bullet [40]
Don’t Cry, it’s Only Thunder [82]
Down to the Sea in Ships [49]
Emma’s shadow [Den 88]
Europa '51 [Italy 52]
Extraordinary Adventures of Mr. West in the Land of the Bolsheviks [USSR 24]
Flåklypa Grand Prix [Norway 2000]
S - The Four Feathers [UK 39]
Giordano Bruno [Italy 73]
Good morning, Babylon [Italy 87]
Hellzapoppin [41]
S - Hitler, a film from Gemany [Ger 77]
I heard the owl call my name [73]
Idiot's Delight [39]
The Idiots [Den 00]
In the King of Prussia [82]
Intruder in the dust [49]
S - Investigation of a Citizen above Suspicion [Italy70]
Jerusalem [Swe 96]
Jour de fete [Fr 49]
Journey for Margaret [42]
La Marsaillaise [Fr 38]
S - Lagaan - Once upon a time in India [India 01]
Leningrad Cowboys go America [Finland 89]
Leon Morin, pretre [Fr 61]
S - Macario [Mex 60]
MacArthur’s Children [Japan 85]
S - Madame Rosa [Fr 77]
Marie [85]
S - The Master and Margarita [Russia 05]
S - The Match Factory Girl [Finland 90]
A Midwinter’s Tale [aka In the Bleak Midwinter] GB 95, Branagh
S - Mifune [Den 00]
Milestones [75]
S - Miracle in Milan [Italy 51]
Mister Johnson [GB 91]
S - Morocco [30]
Movie Movie [79]
My 20th Century [Hung 89]
The mysterious stranger [TV 82]
Outcast of the Islands [UK 52]
The Overcoat (Shinel) [USSR 59]
S - Perceval [Fr 78]
S - Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies [95]
The Piano Tuner of Earthquakes [UK 05]
S - The Prize [63]
S - Promise me this [Serbia 07, Kusturica]
Ramparts of clay [Alg? 70]
S - Remember the Night [40]
Roads to the South [Fr 78]
S - A Room and a Half [Russia 09]
S - School for Scoundrels [UK 60]
The Shameless Old Lady [Fr 65]
S - Shoeshine [Italy 47]
Sitting Pretty [48]
The Song of Roland [Fr 78]
The Spider's Stratagem [Italy 70]
Star Spangled to Death [04]
S - The Stranger [Italy/Fr 67]
Stromboli [Italy 50]
Sunrise at Campobello [60]
S - A Taste of Honey [UK 61]
S - They Might be Giants [71]
Titicut Follies [67]
S - A Tree grows in Brooklyn [45]
Ubu et la Grande Guidouille [Fr 80]
S - Viva Zapata! [52]
West and Soda [Italy 65]
Where the River Runs Black [86]
The White Cliffs of Dover [44]
S - Who is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe? [78]
S - The Wind will Carry us [Iran 99]
The Window [1949]
S - Yol [Turkey 82]
Zero Kelvin [Norway 95]

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

That's a pretty awesome list... there's a film of The Master and Margarita?

message 25: by Esther (new)

Esther Greenleaf | 65 comments kate wrote: "That's a pretty awesome list... there's a film of The Master and Margarita?"

Actually there are two, a feature-length 1972 Italian version which is available on Netflix, and a Russian miniseries from 2005 which is in my Saved queue. (The latter used to be listed as available but was perpetually out, then got taken off altogether.)

message 26: by Esther (new)

Esther Greenleaf | 65 comments Let me add that the 1945 Blithe Spirit, which I'd never seen, was on my list but suddenly turned up in Instant Watch. Same is true of my favorite Danny Kaye movie, Knock on Wood (1954).

message 27: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5484 comments I was watching BLITHE SPIRIT on Instant Watch last night, and the picture went from being very smooth and natural to being very stiff and fractured. I fast forwarded through the movie, and found that a very specific section of the movie was affected, and it seemed to go back to normal at a later point, it was very strange. I"ve never seen anything quite like it.

A shame, as the movie is generally good fun, especially when the sublime Margaret Rutherford is onscreen as Madam Arcati -- she's a joy to watch.

message 28: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (Webalina) | 583 comments Some of those films I'm surprised aren't on Netflix yet -- APU TRILOGY, MOROCCO and THE DEAD are the most obvious to me. I've lucked out in that I've seen several of those films on TCM.

message 29: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 465 comments Asterix cartoons from the 60s and 70s.

I thought I had seen them in Polish TV, when I was in primary school and it was long time ago.