Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Sorting in the combine editions page

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Seth (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

Seth | 12 comments Here is a request to put way down deep on the to-do list....

It would be great if books on the "merge editions" page sorted without respect to beginning articles.

With authors who have largish book lists (I've been working on Niven and Pratchett, for example), remembering to combine all the combinations like "Mote in God's Eye" with "The Mote in God's Eye" is made a lot harder by the scrolling up and down in takes to check every "the" title against its "non-the" counterpart. I haven't looked yet to see if "a" and "an" are as problematic.

It would also be nice if leading articles always won in picking the deafault name; I'm sure that wouldn't be right 100% of the time, but it would probably be a win over majority-wins based on my small sampling.

message 2: by Seth (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

Seth | 12 comments Oh, yeah: It would also be nice if a button to save changes appeared every N items down in the list. Scrolling from the middle of Pratchett to save changes over and over tires out my scroll-wheel finger, and I also use that for expressing my opinion of other drivers and certain people from Sales & Marketing. I need it rested!

But that's another dogwash, I'm sure.

message 3: by Seth (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

Seth | 12 comments And while I'm on the subject or sorting on that page, is the sort currently case-sensitive?

The Raymond M. Smullyan list had the sort order:
1 "The Chess Mysteries of Sherlock Holmes"
2 "The Chess Mysteries of the Arabian Knights"
3 "The chess mysteries of sherlock holmes"

I almost missed it.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

rivka | 32941 comments Mod
Try using the "filter works by keyword" search box. In my experience, it helps immeasurably with the sorts of problems you are talking about, especially since they spiffed up the search function.

Makes the list to get to the bottom of much shorter as well.

message 5: by Otis, Chief Architect (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:35PM) (new)

Otis Chandler | 315 comments Mod
Good feedback Seth - thanks! We'll see what we can do.