Harry Potter discussion

Movies > Deathly Hallows Part 1

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa (goodreadsannalisa) Now that the movie is out...
Who has seen it? What did you think? What were your favorite parts? What got left out that you wish had been included? How did the movie rate to the other ones in your opinion?

Movie spoilers in this thread!

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura | 14 comments i went to see it at 00:01 last night :D it was epic and when i went to school this mmorning i had massive puffy eyes from crying :(

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (jedisakora) | 2 comments I saw it last night. I have to admit i was a bit disappointed. They left out soooo many important things. No mention of Ariana, Regulas an after thought, no mention of Dumbledors shady past, where was the invisibility cloak, where was Dean, tonks mother and father, ect.....

I did love love love Dobby. Him and his sneakers. *squee*. Mad they kinda of screwed up his burial. Dan Radcliff was also brilliant. He's such a good comedy actor.

So in a way i'm half and half. I keep reminding myself that it's only half of the book. I love many parts of it, but some of it dragged.

message 4: by Alexander (new)

Alexander Draganov (darthsparhawk) Very well made and beautiful movie, but very dark and a bit too long. Hope for more adventurous feel in the final one.

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 48 comments I thought Part 1 was just stunning! The opening sequence, editing between the three leads, was wonderful, the "Seven Potters" scene was both funny and thrilling, Ron/Hermione was ALL OVER THE PLACE!! :), and Dobby set the tears flowing. I did miss some bits, but I enjoyed what was there and I feel like Part 2 may include more--the Dumbledore stuff, for example. And what amazing production values! Can't we get Part 2 NOW, please?

message 6: by Annalisa (last edited Nov 19, 2010 06:36PM) (new)

Annalisa (goodreadsannalisa) Rachel, I agree. This is the first movie that lived up to the book in my opinion, and it certainly made me anxious for the next one, which the movies have never done before. I'm glad we don't have to wait over a year like we have on the other ones, but I will be sad when it's all over.

I thought they made excellent choices on what to cut and what to keep. The movie is INTENSE and to keep that pace they have to skim all the slow-developing stuff. They made excellent choices on subtle plot changes that stayed true to the integrity of the story but got there faster. There are several things I would have been confused about if I hadn't read the book (Harry reading the Maurader's map, Sirius' broken mirror), but overall I think they did a fantastic job skimming over what needed to be there and what could be cut.

The only thing I wished they would have developed more was Dumbledore's shady past, as Melissa mentioned. I think they wanted audiences not to trust Dumbledore at this point (at least that's what I've taken away from interviews), but without going into his relationship with the dark wizard Grindelwald, it just looked like Rita Skeeter being viscous. I don't think they needed to go into everything with Ariana, but a little more than they did to show Harry feeling alone and without purpose.

My favorite scenes:
The 7 Potters (and the chase) were fantastic. I love that they had Hedwig trying to protect Harry and how Daniel Radcliffe played everyone playing him. It was better than anything I'd imagined from the book.

The Ministry of Magic scene was so well cast and played. I especially loved Harry's character trying to figure out how his character would walk. The association with WWII propaganda was excellent too, better even that the book.

Godric's Hollow was exactly as I had pictured it and the sense of foreboding was perfect. I was a little sad not to see the memorial to Harry (that made me a little teary-eyed in the book) and I thought the snake and Voldemort coming was more intense in the book, but overall an excellent scene.

Ron saving Harry and killing the horcrux was awesome. I could have done without the nude kissing (it was awkward and unnecessary) but I thought Rupert Grint played Ron especially well in this one (loved the Ron/Hermione tension). All the acting was fantastic: Lucius Malfoy scared and beaten, Fred & George's few lines, Emma Watson as always, all of it. Daniel Radcliffe has finally grown into the role these last two films (the liquid luck scene in Half-Blood Prince is may favorite of his, but the 7 Potters is a close second).

They did an excellent job making you feel connected to Dobby in the few scenes he's in so the death is touching. I think they picked the perfect spot to end the film.

The only scene was a little disappointed by was Bellatrix torturing Hermione. Helen-Boham Carter has always played her so well and I wanted to see her really go crazy torturing Hermione, scared about her vault being broken into, and Ron freaking out in the cellar, but that was a little to fast and there was no "crucio" in there.

Did anyone else notice Voldemort's nose in his opening scene? I could see the edge of the mold on his upper lip. Greyback also didn't look as creepy/hairy. The Burrow didn't look anything like the Burrow of past movies (but does it ever look the same from one movie to the next?) The scenery was awesome, all the places they camped, and as I said, Godric's Hollow.

I have to go see it again to process it all. I thought it was amazing though. My favorite yet. I hope Part 2 is as good.

message 7: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa (goodreadsannalisa) Isaac, I thought it was fantastic too. As soon as I hit post on my last comment I realized I hadn't mentioned it, but my comment was already really long so I didn't go back and add it. I loved the graphic novel feel to it and that it makes you side with Hermione that it's only a story instead of visualizing real people.

message 8: by Alexander (new)

Alexander Draganov (darthsparhawk) Yes, the Three Brothers scene was amazing, maybe my favorite in the movie.

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 20, 2010 07:24AM) (new)

Why wasn't it in 3d.
I was really looking foward to that and it really pissed me off.

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 48 comments Annalisa wrote: "Rachel, I agree. This is the first movie that lived up to the book in my opinion, and it certainly made me anxious for the next one, which the movies have never done before. I'm glad we don't have ..."

You are so right, Annalisa, about what was kept and what was cut. I think there are little bits from the book that we all hope to see but even if they aren't there, if you judge the whole film as an adaptation and as a cinematic experience, you can't help but be satisfied. I have a feeling Part 2 is going to ASTOUND us.

Isaac wrote: "I LOVE THIS MOVIE! It was the first movie that exceeded my expectation. I was worried for the first twenty minutes where they seemed to jump from place to place but I was happy to see it stopped th..."

YES! I almost forgot the "Three Brothers" sequence--AMAZING animation! I thought that was a truly creative and special way to present that important story.

David wrote: "Why wasn't it in 3d.
I was really looking foward to that and it really pissed me off."

Well, they would have had to push back the release date to convert the film to 3D--would you WANT to wait longer to see it? I sure don't. Plus, I'm sure Part 2 will be 3D.

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 20, 2010 07:43AM) (new)

Well you don't have to be so rude about it.

message 12: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa (goodreadsannalisa) David,
Why do your comments always have to be so antagonistic? Please follow the rules and be polite. I do not want to have to delete yet another bickering comment thread you started.

message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 20, 2010 08:30PM) (new)

I loved it, but missed some things they left out. When Hermione is attacking Ron, she barely did anything, ruining one of my favorite parts. I loved when Hary danced with Hermione. :)

message 14: by Alexander (new)

Alexander Draganov (darthsparhawk) I loved when Hary danced with Hermione. :)"

Very touching, beautiful scene!

message 15: by Eden (new)

Eden (tsalagi_writer) I went to the midnight showing at my local movie theater. And the movie was amazing. Can't wait for part 2.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah25ahmed) | 75 comments i LOVED it. i also could have done without the harry-hermione-horcrux kissing scene, but the movie was all in all epic. my favorite graphics were the 3 brothers story, that was in great detail and really nice presentation. i don't remember if peter pettigrew died--did he? and i also didn't quite understand why the movie makers were so interested on creating tension between hermione, harry and ron, and the dancing scene especially confused me. why did harry do that? still, the movie was great and i found myself immediately wanting to see the next movie once it had ended. i liked how it ended on a scary note, with voldimort having gotten the invincible elder wand. i personally think that dobby dying was presented much sadder than when dumbledore died in the 6th and when sirius died in the 5th movie, but perhaps that's only because dobby is just so darn cute. i think they stuck pretty well to the books, but i would have liked it if they showed harry more by himself, because in the book half the time he is alone and thinking. i feel like the movies need to get more inside his head, even though that it very hard to do and is left up to daniel radcliffe's interpretative acting. the movie also didn't have as much action as i was hoping, they kind of rushed alot of the fighting scenes, most of the movie was dark and depressing. but then again, the book is like that too. i wihs they would have gone onto the breakin at gringotts, because that is a major scene and is a good place to end it since it's the biggest scene before the battle at hogwarts. if they did this, though, the second part would be far too stretched (it would be all in a matter of one day). overall, a really good movie. MUST see!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh my oh my. Can I even explain... HOW MUCH I LOVED IT!!!!! The whole time I was on the edge of my seat, waiting for what was going to happen. Almost EXACTLY like the book, and LOTS of humor. 10 STARS!!!!!

message 18: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (last edited Nov 21, 2010 04:02PM) (new)

Pandy | 1575 comments Mod
I finally saw the film! I love it, but it won't beat HBP, PoA, or OotP for me.

I completely agree with you, Annalisa, about the acting. It's wonderful (especially Rupert and Emma). Dan's also great in the Seven Potters scene. The older actors are, of course, great in the screen time they have. I love seeing Jason Isaacs, Helena Bonham Carter, Ralph Fiennes, and especially Alan Rickman and Imelda Staunton again. Bill Nighy, just seems a little off to me, though. The reading of the will sounds odd and forced, in my opinion and it doesn't really help that the scene drags. I do know some people who thought Nighy is perfect, so it might just be that he doesn't fit my idea of Scrimgeour.

The Ministry infiltration is my favorite scene. There's so much humor, but it doesn't take away from the seriousness of the situation or the horror of the Dementors, in my opinion. I also love the Godric's Hollow scene. The moment where Hermione realizes that they're being watched in the graveyard is chilling. The conversation in Parseltongue and Hermione finding the blood in the cabinet where Bathilda seems to have been killed really adds to the frightening atmosphere.

I know that some people were worried about the Harry/Hermione dance before the film. I can't say that I really like it, but I think that's it's pretty obvious that Hermione loves Ron. I love how the bit from the book where it looks like they fell asleep with their hands together at Grimmauld place is included. The moment they share at the piano is also very sweet. Going back to the dance itself - I understand that Harry wants to cheer Hermione up, but it bothers me a bit that he almost looks like he could be interested in her at first (before they actually start dancing I mean).

Despite loving it, I don't think that this film captures the feeling of the book (the first half, anyway) as well as HBP, PoA, or OotP. I'm not sure if its just because it doesn't have an arc of its own, due to the fact that Harry doesn't have time to obsess over the Hallows or decide not to go after the Elder Wand or if it's because Harry isn't really seen struggling with his trust of Dumbledore. There’s a sense of emptiness, that doesn’t have anything to do with the trio’s isolation or despair. Ron's departure is an emotional moment in the film, and his return starts of as a powerful scene, but it seems to fall flat when the only thing he says before they go back to Hermione is (I’m paraphrasing) "only three more to go." The destruction of Harry’s wand doesn’t seem to have as much of an impact either. Also, as you mentioned Annalisa, Ron screaming in the cellar would have made the Malfoy Manor scene so much more intense. Dobby’s death, however, I think, is very well done. (I agree that he’s adorable, Sarah!) Harry’s “Help me” is heartbreaking.

I don’t think this film can stand on its own as a part of the series without Part II, so I don’t think I should really judge it yet. This is all very disjointed, but I want to add a few more things that I like, since I don’t want to sound negative about the film (I really do like it). The café attack and The Tale of The Three Brothers are great. I love it when Harry tells Ron to keep talking about the light near his heart to bring Hermione around and when Luna calls Dobby sir. :) Draco’s hesitation at Malfoy Manor is also right on. I can’t wait for Part II!

Edit: I forgot to say that I think Peter Mullan and Nick Moran are perfect as Yaxley and Scabior respectively.

Also, Wormtail doesn't die in the film. It's possible that he might die in Part II. Steve Kloves was asked about this possibility at the New York premiere but he didn't want to talk about it.

message 19: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 48 comments Pandy wrote: "I finally saw the film! I love it, but it won't beat HBP, PoA, or OotP for me.

I completely agree with you, Annalisa, about the acting. It's wonderful (especially Rupert and Emma). Dan's also g..."

I understand some of your dislikes about the film, Pandy--particularly about Harry's dealing with Dumbledore's past and the Hallows vs. Horcruxes issue--but I also love that you pointed out the great touches in the film. More Ron/Hermione details were included than I expected--especially the Grimmauld Place sleeping-with-hands-almost-touching moment! What I like, though, is that if they leave out a bit, they replace it with something. Ron and Hermione don't dance at the wedding, but we get that longing look of his at her. Hermione doesn't get her "I haven't ruled it out" line after Ron's return, but it's replaced by Harry's cute "light in your heart" line. Ron doesn't bang the walls down in Malfoy Manor, but when Bellatrix threatens to kill Hermione, Ron says something like, "Like bloody hell" and charges in to rescue her.

So, overall, I'm good. I said in an earlier post that I think some of the Dumbledore stuff will be present in Part 2 and as for the Harry and Hermione dance moment, I think it was clear his intentions were actually friendly (after all he kissed Ginny earlier) but I would have preferred one shot of him looking at Ginny on the Map just to be on the safe side. I also think the Horcrux-Kiss bit looked the way it should.

I also think you're absolutely right--we need to see Part 2 for a full idea of how the book is adapted. I loved Part 1, and if Part 2 is similarly faithful and well-directed and performed, then my fave book of the series will also have resulted in my fave films of the series. :)

message 20: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa (goodreadsannalisa) Rachel wrote: "What I like, though, is that if they leave out a bit, they replace it with something."

I loved that too. I loved the light in your heart line. Harry did look at the map, but it was so quick, I didn't even get what he was looking at until the camera panned away. I didn't catch Ginny's name on the map, but maybe it was there and too fast.

Pandy wrote: I don't think that this film captures the feeling of the book (the first half, anyway) as well as HBP, PoA, or OotP.

For me, the emotion of this one (minus the distrust of Dumbledore) was pretty close. OofTP I think was right on untilt his anger after Sirius died. I didn't feel the same compassion for him. And in HBP, Dumbledore's death is so powerful in the book and it falls short in the movie (I blame it all on Michael Gambon, of course). The rest of the book was good, but the ending was a let down for me. Not so with this one. As you mentioned his "Help Me" is so heartbreaking. In the book, Dobby doesn't appear until the cellar and you don't have a chance to connect him first, but here it's stronger. It ended strong, which is always good. I can't wait for part II. I hope it's as good.

I loved the Grimmuald Place hands too. And the Ministry. It was perfect, wasn't it? So right on. And the death eaters in the cafe was great too. Scrimgeour didn't bother me. He wasn't anything like how I'd imagined him, but then again, Slughorn isn't either and I like the movie Slughorn more.

Overall, I liked this movie the best.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Me too! It was so touching!

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I cried through some parts... And I'm not a crier, either.

message 23: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 170 comments Alright, let me get down to my in depth review.

Characters:
Harry- this is def Dan's best acting job since....... Prisoner of Azkaban (which used to be my favorite of the Potter movies). Dan really started to annoy me around Order of the Pheonix. But he has redeemed himself.
Hermione- I have always loved Emma Watson as Hermione and she is at her brightest here. Five stars.
Ron- I couldn't ask for a better departure and return from Rupert. Now if only they could kiss like they did in AVPM.
Dobby- I think it was quite obvious it wasn't the same voice, but that was a small issue with me. His tennis shoes and speach were adorable!
Scrimgeour- I SWEAR HE NEVER BLINKS! I liked his portrayal of being a paranoid git.
Voldemort- There was an aura of controlled rage around him and he has always been a good one.
Bellatrix- Quite nice on the insanity level. I loved when she pushed up Hermione against the wall and screams "GIRL TO GIRL"
Scenery- The shots of the forest were beautiful and the whole thing had a nice amount of darkness to it.
scenes- I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVED the 7 Potters ( life made by Daniel Radcliffe in a bra) Emma is a wonderful actress in her torture scene. Hermione and Harry dancing=most awkward thing ever. The horcrux kissing thing annoyed me a little bit, but that was small.
Age leevel- I'm 12 and I was fine with it. I only had to cover my eyes when Ron got splinched.

Overall- The best Potter movie since Number 3

message 24: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla VdL (dunnopris) The movie was nice... but can't be compared to the book; it doesn't have much of the complexity that the book has, but that's how some movies are supposed to be in the end i suppose; not too complex, so watchers can try and understand.. of Course to those who read and love the books find the movie a bit simple, but i think it had some nice scenes...

I wanted to see more of Bill and Fleur's wedding, and Kreacher's story!... But i did like the movie..of course, was sad when it ended cause i wanted to see the rest of the scenes they managed ;]

message 25: by Taneka (new)

Taneka (ninatravis) I agree Priscilla. I have the movies, but when I really want to be entertained, I listen to the audio books. Jim Dale does an excellent job. I haven't listened to the entire series read by Stephen Frye, but Dale does just fine.

message 26: by Claire (new)

Claire | 15 comments this movie has been my favorite one so far and i love the part when harry and hermione start dancing

message 27: by Aegine (new)

Aegine | 359 comments Has anyone seen the parody of the Part1/2 trailer? It's hilarious!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MahTKZ...
Check it out!