Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > NOT A BOOK problem

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Can anyone get the combine/separate pages to load for NOT A BOOK and snip off the rated books from this monstrosity of mis-combined NAB items? It can't be good to have them all lumped in like that, especially since the top one probably shouldn't even be NAB (it's the "instruction" record for those Walmart Classics).

message 2: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 874 comments I got it to load, but the separate request returned the 502 bad gateway message (twice).

Maybe there's a system down at home base.

message 3: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 874 comments I temporarily changed the author to "Walmart Special Case" so it would not disappear into the NAB system.

I don't know what anyone else would want to call it; this was just a temporary idea.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44985 comments Mod
I wish I knew which librarian(s) keep doing huge combines with the NAB items like that. It REALLY messes with the database, especially when one is not really a NAB item, like this. The database really does not like works with thousands of editions -- that why you're getting 502s.

It will have to be fixed from the back end. I already asked for help with that.

message 5: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 874 comments I was thinking--if I edited a few (lot) to "NAB" to reduce the set, would it then work? I have a little time today and could do it.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Separating might help. Changing the author would not, and would in fact probably be counter-productive.

message 7: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 874 comments OK. Seemed like it might be worth a try. "NAB" could then be returned to "Not a Book" after this was straightened out.

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Sure. But the author is not the issue. The fact that so many editions have been combined is.

message 9: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 874 comments I see. Nevermind.

message 10: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 874 comments But I do have a question--other than the Walmart thing, what does it really matter if they are combined?

Just curious really, waiting for the plumber is not very interesting.

message 11: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

If one needs to be separated, or deleted, it won't work properly with so many records combined. I think it creates some other database issues as well, but I don't speak programmer, so I don't really understand that part.

message 12: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 874 comments Me neither (speak programmer). Thanks for the info.

message 13: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Michael separated off the Walmart book, and is working on the monstrosity.

message 14: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 874 comments THANK YOU MICHAEL