The Next Best Book Club discussion

Newbies Corner > And yet another!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 106 (106 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 22 comments Just thought I'd say 'Hello' to everyone out there. I'm new to GR (joined about 2 weeks ago) and to your group. I'm 39, living in GA (trying to relo back to VA...hopefully soon!), and I'm a bit of a reading junkie. :) The photo is of my dog, Scout. Guess you can tell my favorite book? Looking forward to 'chatting' with you.

message 2: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Hi Stacy,glad you found us.That's one of my faves as well.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome, Stacy.

message 4: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 22 comments Thanks for the welcome! I'm glad I found you, too! :)

message 5: by Lorena (new)

Lorena (lorenalilian) ;o)

message 6: by Stacie (new)

Stacie Welcome Stacy. Funny, I am Stacie S. too...we just spell our first names differently. Sorry...dorky connection. :)

message 7: by Mandy (new)

Mandy ^ ah, but you have an in - as George on Seinfeld would say!

Welcome and hope to see your posts around the place.

message 8: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 22 comments Stacie, I'll take that kind of connection...mostly because I like to think I'm cool, in a dorky kind of way! ;) Did I see another post from you about Field of Dreams? So, not only do we have the name/initial connection (the 'in' as Mandy says), but baseball, too? And Mandy with Seinfeld quotes...oh the blessings of GR! I've found my people!

message 9: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10123 comments Mod
Stacy, Welcome!
Really glad to have you here, and so happy to see you are already making 'connections'... hee hee...

message 10: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstyreadsandcreates) | 610 comments Welcome to the group Stacy!

message 11: by Lori (new)

Lori Aw, a Lab, a fetch toy, and water. Life just doesn't get any better. It's the simple things!

message 12: by Kataklicik (new)

Kataklicik | 87 comments Hi Stacy!

message 13: by Katie (new)

Katie (hockeygoddess) | 257 comments Welcome! Love the pic of your puppy...makes me miss my Lab, as he loved time at the beach too!

message 14: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 22 comments Lori: Amen to your sentiment! There's so much joy in simplicity. Scout reminds me of that when my life becomes too harried.

Katie: The beach is Scout's happy place (and mine, too!), but we aren't able to visit as much as we'd like. I'm so sorry to hear that you've gone through the loss of a pup. :( I lost Scout's older sister 2 years ago, and we miss her everyday. Which reminds me: I'd really like to read a great dog story where the dog doesn't die! Any recommendations? I just read a Jon Katz piece, and 2 of his labs die. Come on!!! ;)

message 15: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 1128 comments I haven't read it, but what about Marley and Me?

message 16: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 22 comments I haven't read Marley and Me because I believe Marley,,,well, you know. I don't want to find out for certain!

message 17: by Katie (new)

Katie (hockeygoddess) | 257 comments Stacy -- Thanks for your kind words. It's been a year & a half since and I still expect to get woken up by a cold snout or find him sleeping in my bed when I get home from work:( He died very suddenly, while I was out of town no less, so the loss was even harder than if he had died of old age!

I've read a bunch of doggie books and I'm having the same problem! When I stumble across a happy one, I will be sure to let you know...I have a bunch in my TBR, so we'll see how fast I can get on that for you:)

message 18: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 22 comments Katie: This makes my heart hurt. :( People who aren't animal lovers sometimes don't understand how deep the bond is between humans and their fur babies. I'm single and don't have kids, but my dog is my 'child.' I travel all the time for work, and that would be an absolute nightmare to have that scenario occur.

And I'll make the same promise: If I find a happy doggie story w/o the standard ending, I'll definitely let you know. I do think Jon Katz has a few that may fit, but I stumbled upon the wrong one first!

message 19: by Robin (new)

Robin I love all the dog comments. I have 2 fur babies myself. Little Elly is my photo!!
And I haven't finished Marley and Me; but did make it through The Art of Racing in the Rain and absolutely loved it! It is a tear jerker, but a must. I'm from Seattle and the book is set in Seattle, so it touched my heart a bit more. But the dog who is the narrator has the best sense of humor.
It is on the list and has quite a few votes, hope I have helped it get a few more!
Cheers!

message 20: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 22 comments Oh my gosh, Elly is so adorable!!!!! How old is she? What is your other fur baby? ;) I actually didn't vote for The Art of Racing just because it did seem like a tear-jerker to me. I would love to find just a great animal story where the animal doesn't die! I've had to deal with that enough already. :(

message 21: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Why are all animals novels tear jerkers??? I cant bear to read sad animal stories....

message 22: by ScottK (last edited Jul 26, 2008 08:38PM) (new)

ScottK | 535 comments God I have NO IDEA what I will do when my dog slips her mortal coil.......well I have some idea , it involves alot of curling up in a corner and crying. We lovingly refer to our Australian Shepherd/Border Collie mix as our Dogter(Daughter).

message 23: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 22 comments Isabella: No comment about loving your dog would freak me out! :) There is no such thing as 'just a dog/cat/etc.' when they are a beloved member of the family. I'm with your grandmother: Anyone who would mistreat a child, animal, or elderly person is a sociopath! I volunteer with a local retriever rescue, and have fostered several dogs here at home. And, I had wanted to go into social work when I was younger, and (up until recently) was a volunteer for Meals-on-Wheels: You can probably tell I have a 'bit' of an advocacy/rescue issue! ;)

Scott: I don't even want to think about that pain that will come to you. When my older lab died (and I had to make that dreadful decision), I just came home, numb. Thankfully, I had Scout and her 4 paws came clicking on the hardwood floors to greet me. (But I had been used to those 8 clicking paws, so it was still tough.) I took a sleeping bag out to the backyard, spread it on my hammock, and Scout and I laid there for almost 2 hours. I don't think I've ever cried so much in my life! Ugh...

I LOVE that there are so many animal lovers on this site!!!! Maybe we should all pull together some funny short-stories about our pets and publish them. No sad stories aloud! I know my dog is a constant source of amusement!

My absolute favorite description of a pet is from Anne Lamott: She referred to her dog as 'Jesus in a fur coat.' You just can't find that kind of unconditional love in a human form!

message 24: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Oh my,these posts are so sad.Today,we had to call the vet and had to have the talk about putting our Basset hound down.She's 13 years old,a pretty good age for a basset.Last year we were told that chances were very high that she wouldn't last through the following summer and sure enough she has deteriorated in the last couple of months.We've been trying to hold out but we came to the realization that it just can't be done anymore.So there has been many,many tears today.I can't imagine how it will be for her to be gone.

message 25: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 22 comments Oh, Sherry...I'm so sad to hear this news. I will pray that you will have the wisdom to make the right choice for your girl, and the strength and peace that will be needed, too. Oh, this breaks my heart! They just don't last long enough. Too much love in those little furry bodies...

message 26: by Katie (new)

Katie (hockeygoddess) | 257 comments Sherry -- I'm so sorry! That is such a hard decision to make and one thankfully I haven't had to do myself (more poor parents have not been so lucky!) But losing a dog is never easy no matter if it's from old age or other circumstances. I wish you & your family happy thoughts of your beloved friend through these tough days. It's the good memories of my baby that get me through the dark days.

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 103 comments I totally agree Stacy we just got our 6th family member thats 4 dogs now people think my wife and myself are crazy!No we just love animals and the puppy was so adorable how could i resist!

message 28: by Sherry (new)

Sherry It is such a HARD decision.I was supposed to make this call all month long.Every day I would say yes,I'll make the call but I never would.Today ,my hubbie said this can't go on and he made the call.

She really is the sweetest dog,and so very good natured although very stubborn as well.

I once watched her allow my cat Boogie to take a piece of biscuit right out of her mouth.She didn't so much as growl at him.

message 29: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstyreadsandcreates) | 610 comments Sherry I'm so sorry. My grandparents had to have one of their dogs (they had 2) put down in May this year. He was a collie/spaniel cross, and was 17 (which I guess is a very good age). I was only 5 years old when they got him and I went with them to choose him from the shelter. Although they are my grandparents dogs, I love them like they were my own. I was so heartbroken when they had to make the decision.

I don't know what I'll do when the other one dies, she's a smooth border collie, so they have a good life expectancy, but she has an enlarged heart.She's now 13, but 2 and a half years ago they gave her 18 months to live, but she's still here. She's on tablets for it and I think they caught it in time. It doesn't stop her doing anything, she still runs and bounces around like she thinks she's a puppy. She's getting arthritis now though too, so thats slowing her down.

message 30: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9 comments Sherry I am so sorry to hear about your Bassett. We had an old stray Bassett walk in to our life one day about 2 years ago. Even though we had another dog, we kept him for 10 months. He had cancer (final stages) and we provided the best home that we could for him until he died. I was mad at first that no one claimed him, the Vet figured they knew he was sick and couldn't deal with it. Then one day I realized, he was put into our lives because we could help take care of him and love him and give him what he needed, even if for a short time. He opened our hearts, he was my company when everyone else was watching movies and I was wrapped up in a book. I didn't think we'd get another dog, just keeping Brodie, the orignal one, but as I type I have a 9 month old Bassett sleeping next to me. In October I will be getting him a brother (2 months old) from the same parents. My husband says that he can't limit my books, but he can limit the dogs. LOL!

message 31: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 22 comments You know, I thought I was just signing up for a site that would allow me to track the books I've read and want to read. Maybe that I would receive recommendations from others. Never did I think that I would find such compassionate people.

Tim, Kirsty, Laura, Sherry: Thanks for sharing your babies' stories. Two years ago, I was living with 2 dogs and 2 cats. Now it is just me and Scout. I can relate to each of you.

Sherry: We're all with you during this awful time. There aren't any words to make it better, but just know we're standing with you. So, so sad....

I've said that I'd like to read a book about pets that isn't a tear-jerker, but that pain is what connects us all. Makes us realize we aren't alone in our sadness. :(

message 32: by Lorena (new)

Lorena (lorenalilian) Sherry, ***Hugs***

We lost our Oliver two years ago, my husband (then boyfriend) adopted him from his brother who couldn't take the whinning of the little puppy at night. So he was with us before we got married or had kids, we too had to make the hard call your husband made, due to sickness; most people told us to wait until we got another dog, but seeing our oldest so sad it was impossible. We addopted a lhapsa-apso mixed with poodle two weeks after, he is the sweetest and we love him very much. He won't replace Oliver but has found a place in our hearts!

message 33: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Thank you all for the support.It's sad to know that the support comes from a place of having experienced loss of your lovies as well,but I appreciate the stories shared here.

Stacy,you're so right about this being more than a site for books.Thanks guys.

message 34: by ScottK (last edited Jul 27, 2008 12:04PM) (new)

ScottK | 535 comments I don't know if you guys have ever read this but go to http://www.rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm, for a very uplifting yet tear jerking poem about the bond between human and their dogs.Not so much a poem as much as it is a great story,which, I pray just happens to be true!!

message 35: by Siobian (new)

Siobian Oh Sherry, I'm so sorry. I'll be thinking about you and your family.

message 36: by ScottK (new)

ScottK | 535 comments I decided to share the Joy and changed my Avi to the 2nd most important thing in my world. Her name is Lola (not a show girl) 8 year old Australian Shepherd/Border Collie mix. We keep her fur short living in Maui, however when we move back to Portland we will let her return to all of her fluffy glory.

message 37: by Bluedaizy (new)

Bluedaizy | 135 comments She's a cutie, Scott! :)

message 38: by ScottK (last edited Jul 27, 2008 12:57PM) (new)

ScottK | 535 comments Yeah she takes after me in that dept. :) Her brattiness,however, comes from her other daddy. I should write a book Lola has 2 Daddies

message 39: by Siobian (new)

Siobian Awww, Scott! Lola is adorable!

message 40: by ScottK (new)

ScottK | 535 comments thanks!

message 41: by Mary (new)

Mary Powell  | 15 comments How wonderful is this group!? First I find out that people do actually still read and not just buy books to "look good" on some random book shelf and now I find that I am not the only person who has a true love for their dog(s). I have 2 Jack Russells and a Ridgeback. The Jacks prefer mysteries and thrillers, but my Ridgeback is more of a classics kind of girl. ( Austen is her fav ) :-)

PS Sherry, my thoughts and prayers are with you. HUGS

message 42: by Susan (new)

Susan Strobel | 1 comments hey Im Susan , my friend Ann pointing at her brain asked me to join and this book club ROCKS!!!!!

message 43: by Ann from S.C. (new)

Ann from S.C. | 1395 comments Welcome My Friend Susan!!! I am so glad you are now on THE BEST BOOK CLUB EVER!!!

message 44: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Its funny how many people have thier dogs as thier avatars... (Even Scott had to get in on the action!)

message 45: by ScottK (last edited Jul 27, 2008 06:35PM) (new)

ScottK | 535 comments :) Yes I am one of those DOG PEOPLE !!!! Can't help it . No matter how long my day is , it always helps to know that when I get home I will be greeted by a jumpng wagging bundle of excited energy ....and then there'e the dog too. :)

message 46: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

That was cute Scott!

message 47: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 453 comments I am not surprised that book lovers are animal lovers! We are kind, caring, and gentle people! My Pug, Spencer, really loves fantasy and young adult novels :)

I agree about the "watch out for people who don't like dogs or children" thing.

I once broke up with a boy because Spencer didn't seem to like him! He would bark everytime he came over.

message 48: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 453 comments ****HUGS****** SHERRY!!

We had to put my sweet yellow tabby cat to sleep 2 Christmases ago and Christmas has NEVER been the same.

message 49: by Mandy (new)

Mandy I have a 5 year old lab and I just couldn't imagine life without her, this thread is now bringing to my attention that one day she won't be there. Oh, it's just so sad for everyone who are pet lovers, they're more than just pets, they're our babies. Honestly, Karri, my lab, is just like a human to me, she understands English I swear.

My thoughts are with everyone who has lost and with you, Sherry, I know no words to help here xx

message 50: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 453 comments of course they understand english!!

« previous 1 3