Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > What are your favorite "unknown" authors/books?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Martina the Book Fairy (book_fairy) | 442 comments I own a B&N Nook (e-reader) and every now and then I like to surf the B&N.com site for the paranormal romance and urban fantasy books that are either free or very inexpensive. I've noticed lately a lot of new, small-time (self-published?) authors, which got me wondering in turn if any of them are any good.

This got me wondering if any of you out there have ready anything good from an "unknown" author writing PNR or UF. If so, please share! :-)

message 2: by Brenna (new)

Brenna Lyons (BrennaLyons) | 177 comments I know a lot of indie published authors that are on my autobuy list, and to a NY conglomerate only reader, they would be "unknown." For some really good indie authors, I would try...

Danielle Ackley-McPhail
Elaine Corvidae
Michelle Levigne
Murdoch Hughes (not usually a romance writer, but paranormal and mystery)
Charlotte Boyett-Compo
Bridget Midway (usually erotic)
Zena Wynn (usually erotic)
Margaret Carter
Darell Bain (usually not romance, but sometimes are)
Sheri L. McGathy (not usually romance, but sometimes are)
Phoebe Matthews (especially the Mudglat series)

Brenna

namericanwordcat | 231 comments Which book would you most recommend by Elaine Corvidae?
\\\

message 4: by Brenna (new)

Brenna Lyons (BrennaLyons) | 177 comments I adore her Lord of Wind and Fire series, but anything by her is really good.

B

namericanwordcat | 231 comments Cool. I am reading one of the Mudflats, the first one, pretty fun.

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (thebooknympho) Eternal Seduction by Jennifer Turner

message 7: by Brenna (new)

Brenna Lyons (BrennaLyons) | 177 comments LOVE Mudflats! Doesn't she have a great sense of humor?

B

message 8: by Scarlet (last edited Dec 18, 2010 05:04AM) (new)

Scarlet (extraordinarygirl86) | 81 comments Crimson Moon by J.A. Saare is my favorite werewolf book. She has two other books planned for Crimson Moon that I'm really looking forward to reading. She also has another series called Dead, Undead, or Somewhere in Between that has mostly positive reviews. I haven't it read but it's absolutely on my reading list and I'm plan on reading it soon.

message 9: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 451 comments I "discovered" a new author earlier this month. L.J. McDonald had two books out this year, and both got good reviews. The Battle Sylph was excellent. I just bought The Shattered Sylph and haven't read it yet.

message 10: by Jesslynn (new)

Jesslynn | 164 comments kendra leigh castle.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Mary Hughes doesn't seem to be very well known, but I love her. Bite My Fire (Biting Love, #1) by Mary Hughes Biting Nixie (Biting Love, #2) by Mary Hughes Biting Me Softly (Biting Love, #3) by Mary Hughes The Bite of Silence by Mary Hughes . Sexy AND funny!

Martina the Book Fairy (book_fairy) | 442 comments Thanks so much for the recommendations! I've added a bunch of them to my wishlist (just in time for christmas, too). :-)

message 13: by Megan (new)

Megan (meganannaz) | 21 comments I hate telling you this- but my favorite self publish author has now been picked up by a publisher and all her books are no longer available. BUT the publisher is re-releasing them. These are some of the best books I have read so I have to recommend them. On January 11th, Colleen Houck is releasing Tiger's Curse. The first 4 chapter are on the following site : http://www.tigerscursebook.com/news-a...

Angel Mochulla  (bluexeyedxangel) | 16 comments J.R WARD!!! all the way annnndddd....Sherrilyn Kenyon .... and yeah those two are definitely two of my favorites!!!

Angel Mochulla  (bluexeyedxangel) | 16 comments basically both are paranormal romance authors. jr wrote the black dagger brotherhood which is my all time favorite series!!! with guys you wish were real and romance you long for. perfect! and same with sherrilyn she wrote dark hunter series and basically the same concept but totally different stories and changlings and omg sooo good! any girl would love love love these books so honest try if you can!!! guys im not so sure... actually maybe because the chapters go from the female perspective to the male perspective too so i think it would be fine.

message 16: by Keri (new)

Keri | 158 comments For those interested, the polls for January's Author of the Month and Book of the Month have been posted. Click the polls link on the group homepage to get there or click/paste the link below for more info.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4...

The polls will be up until Dec 26th.

message 17: by Keri (new)

Keri | 158 comments Angel wrote: "basically both are paranormal romance authors. jr wrote the black dagger brotherhood which is my all time favorite series!!! with guys you wish were real and romance you long for. perfect! and same..."

JR Ward is a good author. Earlier this year so many people on GR kept raving about the Blackdagger Brotherhood series I decided to read them and find out what the fuss is about. OMG! I love the series. Lol, made me a fan.

message 18: by namericanwordcat (new)

namericanwordcat | 231 comments Brenna wrote: "LOVE Mudflats! Doesn't she have a great sense of humor?

B"

She does!