Babblers Who Read discussion

What are you currently reading?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:32PM) (new)

Heather | 30 comments Mod
I'm about halfway through Middlesex right now, and am enjoying it. I really like the author's way of narrating the story. It's in first person, and the narrator, Cal, is telling us about his grandmother's life. I normally hate reading books in first person, but I like this specifically because of the "voice" that comes through. I also like how the narrator admits that he is narrating and might not be telling things quite to real life.

Example: "They are in the Packard, passing the amusement grounds of Electric Park. It's foggy out, and late- just past 3am. To be honest, the amusement grounds should be closed at this hour, but, for my own purposes, tonight Electric Park is open all night, and the fog suddenly lifts, all so that my grandfather can look out the window and see a roller coaster streaking down the track. A moment of cheap symbolism only, and then I have to bow to the strict rules of realism, which is to say: they can't see a thing. Spring fog foams over the ramparts of the newly opened Belle Isle Bridge. The yellow globes of streetlamps glow, aureoled in the mist."

The story itself is fascinating: a man who is genetically a man, but due to some close family relations has female genitals and male secondary sex characteristics. Like I said, I'm only about halfway through, so am actually just getting into his story of meeting and liking a girl he has met.

I definitely recommend this book!

PS- If you type [*book:name of your book*] it will make it clickable for us to check it out. Just take out the astericks for it to work.

message 2: by LizSark (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

LizSark | 10 comments I'm about a third of the way through The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. Described by many as a 'literary thriller',it is a very enjoyable, easy read if a little long-winded in parts. It has a slight leaning towards Victorian melodrama but seems more like a gothic romance to me.

The main character, Daniel Sempere, is led to the The Cemetery of Forgotten Books by his father when he is only ten. The 'Cemetery' is in fact a massive maze-like library of books which have been lost or forgotten by the public. Daniel's father tells him that "according to tradition, the first time someone visits this place, he must choose a book, whichever he wants, and adopt it, making sure that it will never disappear, that it will always stay alive." Daniel chooses -- or perhaps is chosen by -- "The Shadow of the Wind," by Julian Carax.
Daniel then goes on to discover the true life story of Carax and his life in Barcelona and France.

It so far appears to be a great book but I do feel that what takes part in the 600-odd pages could probably have been told in only 400!

message 3: by Yoink (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Yoink | 7 comments I'm currently reading a Star Wars novel because I am a Star Wars geek. Not much more to say about that, the writing is nothing to write home about and it is all quite clichéd and derivative, but I enjoy it on a peripheral level.

I'm also reading Earthly Powers by Anthony Burgess as I have had it for some time and felt that it was about time that I gave it a go despite its daunting size (672 pages). Not far into it yet as I just haven't the time and haven't actually read any of it for a few weeks but it is mildly interesting so far. The plot involves an eminent, homosexual old author who is asked to find evidence of a miracle he apparently witnessed earlier in life which was attributed to a man who has now reached the position of pope. I don't know what to expect for the rest of the book really. I have read good and bad, some think it is genius - his masterpiece, some think it is long winded and boring. I'll make my own opinion of it but I have to admit that it hasn't exactly grabbed me and I have dipped into easier reading material for the time being.

This doesn't mention the several books I have started and not finished over the last few years which could still be considered current reading - there aren't many but occasionally something (Ulysses by James Joyce, Don Quixote by Cervantes, some others) becomes too difficult to continue with and (in the case of Ulysses) may never be returned to. Others I hope to tackle at a later date, a lot depends upon state of mind and time available.

What are others' thoughts about reading more than one book at once? I never did it until last year when I took a break halfway through Moby Dick and read some lighter material and then came back to it. I don't think it harmed the reading experience of the book, and I was able to go back to it with a fresh enthusiasm. Interested to hear others' views.

message 4: by Heather (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Heather | 30 comments Mod
Yoink, starting a new separate thread for your last question!

message 5: by Lbd (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:50PM) (new)

Lbd | 13 comments Currently reading, "The Collectors", but David Baldacci. The reviews I've read were mixed, either they loved it or hated it. So far I'm loving it. It does get a bit convoluted with the split plots, but it's a good read. I'll post more after I've finished it.

message 6: by Pam (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:51PM) (new)

Pam Fradkin | 2 comments I am reading [The Nine:The Nine] and am loving it.

message 7: by MaryGeorge (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:51PM) (new)

MaryGeorge Whitney | 2 comments I am reading "Kitty goes to Washington", by Carrie Vaughn. It is the second in her Kitty series and is a good light read. Kitty is a werewolf who originally lived in Denver and started her own late night radio talk show about the supernatural. She is in Washington to appear before senate hearings on the subject. It is quite realistic in tone and a believable story. I like it because I can take it one the bus to read when I commute to school/work.

message 8: by Mymuseisme (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:01PM) (new)

Mymuseisme | 2 comments Just finished "Girl in Hyacinth Blue" and am reading non-fiction "The Lives of the Muses: Nine Women and the Artists They Inspired" along with finishing "Siddhartha."