Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Are you good with comebacks?

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Are you good with quick comebacks? My friends and I clown on each other (it's good-natured fun), and I always have a hard time with coming up with something IMMEDIATELY, but I always get them back later.

I've always wanted to be good at quick comebacks, but I gotta think about it. But I've gotten better at it, and sometimes I'm on fire, sometimes I'm just like, "Man, whatever man, shut up." AND THEN I think of a comeback like, 5 hours after the exchange happened. There's a term for that! Here's the wikipedia link to prove it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'es...

message 2: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Gus is... He wins.

I am when I write it down. FTF, I'm still obsessing over what I should've said 3 days later...

message 3: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) It's hit and miss with me -- something over which I have little control. It's something I can't plan on or rehearse, of course -- but I find that things pop into my mind and out of my mouth on occasion that surprise even me. Sometimes they are zingers, too -- but I find it hard to take credit for them. Sometimes my spontaneity depends on the person I'm responding to or interacting with.

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I usually am - somedays I just don't have the energy to verbally joust with someone.

message 5: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments This reminds me of the Seinfeld where George flies back to another city because he finally thought of a good comeback.

message 6: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Britt's plight reminds of that Seinfeld episode where George spends a week trying to invent a comeback against Reilly, a fellow employee with the NY Yankees. When he finally comes up with one - "The jerk store called...they're running out of you." - Reilly immediately replies, "What's the difference? You're their all-time best seller!"

You gotta have it in you. I can come up with a snappy comeback pretty quickly, but the trick is to just go ahead and say something, and not think about it. Even if it's borderline offensive. Okay, maybe not.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Jim wrote: "I usually am - somedays I just don't have the energy to verbally joust with someone."

Too much cheerleading?

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Nice crosspost, by the way.

message 9: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Here's a clip of that scene, by the way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA0i_I...

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "Jim wrote: "I usually am - somedays I just don't have the energy to verbally joust with someone."

Too much cheerleading?"

Something like that :-)

message 11: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments it is a talent that can be used for evil as well as good

message 12: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments GUS!!! Did you even see my post?! I totally had your back in this thread. I'll take it back! I swear I will!

message 13: by Suefly (new)

Suefly | 620 comments Hours later I can come up with a zinger, but usually I am left without much to say

message 14: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments I can come up with a MEAN comment really quick, and I can engage in clever, sort of flirtatious repartee, but what's typically thought of as comebacks, no.

message 15: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i had some good ones sunday night, but that was because i was tired and didn't monitor what was coming from my mouth. i usually think way too much to have good comebacks.

message 16: by Jan (new)

Jan | 241 comments Sometimes my comebacks flow easily; other times my mind goes blank.

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments My FB friends already heard this, but I ran into Senator Barbara Mikulski in the liquor store on Saturday. Literally, since they were having a big wine sale and the aisles were crowded. She told Zu she thought there should be traffic lights in the store. Then I got in her way, and she said "beep beep" and I got out of her way, but she just stopped and looked at me and said "I have no idea whether I should go left or right" and I got to say "go left!" which absolutely made my week.
(She did then go left, but I think I led her astray with my wittiness, since left was beer, and judging from her cart in line later, she was there for wine.)

message 18: by Ken (new)

Ken (playjerist) | 721 comments Deadly.

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) So two of my coworkers were discussing part of a project and one of them, male, said to the other of them, female, "it's harder than it looks." Before I could stop myself I said "I can only imagine how many women have heard you say THAT."

message 20: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Oh SNAP! hehehe

message 21: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Heidi, I must have been writing my comment when you posted your post. Thanks for the big ups!

message 22: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments sometimes I'm "spot on", sometimes just a complete blank ,what did you just say to me and how the heck an I going to reply? if I am passionate about the person or the situation, I can usually say something halfway witty and clever. my problem is I tend to be sarcastic if my response to the comment made to me is negative.