Audiobooks discussion

Archives > Netlibrary books

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3724 comments I've gone through most of the ones my library owns, so there are a only a couple left that I really want to read. However, I've noticed that since they put in their own download manager, the resulting file(s) situation has been a mess!
I tried a book in pieces, and only a couple of those ended up tagged, so I had to re-do the entire book, which was a pain! Moreover, even when downloading a book as a single file the "regular" way, the tagging isn't right. Also, the cover image didn't come through either way; I had to drag and drop one myself into the Windows Media Player playlist before sync'ing.

message 2: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 243 comments If NetLibrary is going to break files up in pieces, I wish they'd break them up into pieces SMALLER than 1 hour! What's the point? I still don't have bookmarks on my Zune, so I have to fast forward/reverse a TON if I switch between books (which I frequently do).

But yes, the tagging is totally ridiculous. I download the book, then fix all the tagging using a program called mp3tag, which I love and use VERY frequently. http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

The cover images come through for me into the Zune software, but the NL covers are unbelievably ugly sometimes, so I usually overwrite them anyway.

message 3: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3724 comments I couldn't manage without bookmarks these days, my Cowon D2 has an option to add them by a simple icon click, as well as being able to tap on the progress bar to jump to anywhere in the story. I was just amazed at what a mess the download manager result left. I have a thing about covers not filling the space on the player, so I resize them to a square shape that fits using Paint.
I'm considering getting a cheap Sansa Clip+ which has a resume feature that works even if you leave the file (similar to Audible books), as well as the books not expiring on the device (sadly, they do expire on the D2).

message 4: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 243 comments Glad I'm not the only one still using paint! ;)

message 5: by Scott (new)

Scott | 6 comments I am not sure how well the Sansa Clip+ works but if it is anything like the Fuze you should be OK. I do both NetLibrary and Overdrive and really have not had any problems with the Fuze. Not true bookmarks but the resume function really hasn't messed me up at all.

message 6: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3724 comments Unlike the Fuze, the Clip is supposed to actually allow the listener to switch between files on the device, and resume in each one at the point of departure.

message 7: by Scott (new)

Scott | 6 comments I seem to be able to do that also. Usually I listen to a daily NYT's podcast in the morning driving to work and then listen to an audio book on the way home. The resume function works when I got from the podcast file to the audio book file. It seems to mark the spot in each file.

message 8: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3724 comments I understand that the key with Sansa is that the bookmarks disappear whenever the database is "updated" - in other words, if you're listening to a book, and add other items (such as a podcast), the book goes back to the beginning again when the system recognizes the (new) podcast?

message 9: by Scott (new)

Scott | 6 comments John, just an FYI. I downloaded the podcast this morning. The Fuze said it was refreshing the system when I disconnected it from the computer. I listened to part of the podcast, then went to an overdrive file and it went back to the place I previously ended. I then opened an audible file and it also resumed where I had previously stopped.

message 10: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3724 comments Audible files are a different case, with their self-bookmarking ability. However, since my last post I'd read something that confirmed your report that refreshing the system no longer deletes bookmarks - thanks!

message 11: by Scott (new)

Scott | 6 comments Yeah, I kind of thought Audible was different but I figured I would give it a try. I had a difficult time finding the "right" player for audio books. The Fuze came closest to true bookmarking.

message 12: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (betsybb3) John wrote: "I understand that the key with Sansa is that the bookmarks disappear whenever the database is "updated" -"

I have a Sansa Clip that's always full of podcasts I haven't listened to yet. When I add new podcasts and the database refreshes itself, my bookmarks don't go away.

I have a short commute, so I only use it for podcasts, but I've probably got close to 2GB of podcasts on it. I download them from iTunes & they mysteriously migrate to my Windows Media Player (I must have set something in the beginning to make it do that), and then sync them with the Clip from there.

message 13: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3724 comments WMP updates itself with all the new stuff you've downloaded, unless you tell it otherwise.