Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Adaptations, etc.

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by vicki_girl (last edited Jan 11, 2011 05:33AM) (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments I have some questions regarding abridgements and adaptations. I reviewed the manual and performed a search of the group, but I'm still not clear on what the policies actually are regarding combining these.

To clarify, the Librarians Manual states the following:

do combine:
Different publications of the same book.
Different formats of the book (hardcover, paperback, audio).
Editions/translations of the book in other languages. Even though many translations differ significantly, we've made the decision to combine them all, and have people note the differences in their reviews.

don't combine:
2-in-1 books or boxed sets that include the given book.
Cliff notes or other works about the given book.

It is my understanding the abridgements are combined. For the purposes of this discussion I would define an abridgment as a work that contains the author's original text, just shortened.

I am less clear on adaptations. I define an adaptation as a work that tells the same story but with comepletely new text (little to none of the author's orginal words). I think in general the rule has been to NOT combine adaptations. However, I am not sure this is true for all adaptations. Some are much closer to the orginal story than others. For example...

1) Graphic novels generally follow the original story very closley. However, the text is generally much less than the original, due to the addition of graphics to tell the story.
2) "Young readers" adaptations which generally tell the entire story in simpler language, generally with some illustrations. Example here.
3) Picture Book Adaptations, with minimal text and a generally broad overview of the plot, generally less than 75 pages. Example

I'm pretty sure 1 and 3 do NOT get combined with the original work. I would assume (since the other are not combined) that 2 would also NOT be combined with the original work.

Can someone please confirm the policy on this?

Once we have established a policy, can we add it to the librarians manual?

Thank you.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45058 comments Mod
To the degree that we have policy on this, I think none of those 3 would be combined. However, determining that a given books is of type #2 (rather than an abridgment) is not always easy to do.

message 3: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments Agreed. I would just make the best judgement I can based on Worldcat, Google, etc.

However, I have thought of some additional adaptations.

4) Plays adapted from the original work are NOT combined. Correct?
5) Radio Dramatization - this where a radio play was scripted (i.e., rewritten) from the original work, then performed by actors. I have been told in the past to combine these, but if 4 above is kept separate, I'm not sure why radio plays wouldn't be.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I would not combine either 4 or 5 (again, if I knew that's what they were).

message 5: by vicki_girl (last edited Dec 03, 2010 10:07AM) (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments Can we add something to the Librarians Manual on this? I would be happy to draft it up.

I'm asking because I have spent some time separating these out and would hate to have that work undone. I beleive this (i.e. re-combining) has happen at least twice with Black Beauty in the recent past.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I'm behind on updating the manual, but yes, please do start a thread in that folder.

message 7: by Nenangs (last edited Jan 10, 2011 12:03AM) (new)

Nenangs | 469 comments as more and more novel graphic adaptation of novels are coming out, it would be great if these additional rules of "do-not-combine" can be added in the combine page.

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Nenangs wrote: "as more and more novel graphic adaptation of novels are coming out, it would be great if these additional rules of "do-not-combine" can be added in the combine page."

Done.

message 9: by Nenangs (new)

Nenangs | 469 comments great! thanks rivka. :)