The Prince of Prose: A Pat Conroy Appreciation Group discussion

My Reading Life = Total Disappointment

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura | 11 comments Mod
I found My Reading Life at the bookstore the other day, and started examining it. Sadly, I realized that, rather than being a memoir, this book is just a collection of essays about reading--some of which have been published previously! For instance, the chapter about Gone with the Wind is just the introduction he wrote for the anniversary edition of GWTW. There is a chapter entitled "Southerner in Paris," which is a chapter from his cook book. I was so annoyed and appalled when I noticed this that I did not even buy the book--and I have been looking forward to it for months.

This is the first time Pat Conroy has let me down. I guess it had to happen sometime, but damn!

I will probably buy the book anyway to read the other essays, but I am annoyed with him for spoiling what seemed to be an excellent idea. I suppose this time, the idea does not sound good on paper!

message 2: by Bree (new)

Bree | 1 comments Lara, that is disappointing news! I have yet to buy the book myself, but I was anxious for the opportunity to hit the bookstore for it. Like you, I'll probably still buy it (I have issues with complete collections), but I can't help but feel a little cheated already.

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura | 11 comments Mod
Well, I believe I have to eat my own words about this book. I bought a couple of weeks ago and am very glad I made the investment now. It's basically a collection of Pat's essays and articles dealing with writers, novels, reading, etc. One thing that really put a smile on my face is the James Dickey chapter was really a speech he made at USC for the Dickey conference, and I was there and heard it! It's great to have the speech in hard copy so I can relive the moment.

One strange thing, though, is the back of the book lists where the articles were originally published, but does not list GWTW and "A Southerner in Paris"--both of which were previously published. I really have no idea why that is, but okay....

All in all, I recommend Conroy fans purchasing this book. It's a great collection of his shorter writing and worth a read.

The Prince of Prose: A Pat Conroy Appreciation...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

My Reading Life (other topics)