Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > What was/is your class registration experience?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Okay, so today, sophomores registered for Spring classes today, and I've been working on my schedule since 12 this afternoon, and I'm probably going to be working on it until classes start in January. It is giving me a huge headache.

Okay, here is how our system works, well, the new system anyway. Different classes are able to register on different days, like seniors started registering last week, juniors started registering on friday, and now here we are, and the poor little freshman get whatever is left on Wednesday. So you are assigned a day, and then RANDOMLY you get a time. Times start at 8:15AM and go all the way to like, 4PM. When your registration time comes, you are able to enroll/drop/swap in classes until the drop/add deadline which is like, February something, I think. Classes start in early January.

Last year, registering for spring semester classes as a first semester freshman, I had a 3:30PM registration time. Yes, that sucked ass. This year, my time was at 11:30, but I was in a class where I don't use my laptop, so I had to wait until noon to register. Which I didn't mind anyway 'cause the classes I really wanted are gone anyway.

So right now I'm stuck with a class I don't need and 4 literature classes that I do need. That class I don't need, I could swap it out for a intermediate level history class which I do need, butttttt I've already seen the syllabus for that, and shit ain't going down like that.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24359 comments Mod
It's been awhile...can't remember the specifics. I don't recall not getting into a class I wanted to be in. The main problem was that I had too many classes and too much work and an overwhelming desire to nap.

message 3: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments what a sucky system.

message 4: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments When I was in college 400 years ago I went to a big gym and stood in line to register at different departments. They let people in based on their standing, e.g. seniors first, kind of like you say, Britt. Then we went to phones on a similar system. I think they do it by computer now.

The University where I work now is advisor-heavy in a good way. We meet with students every semester to make sure they're taking the right classes, etc., and very rarely are their problems of that nature. I'm proud of that.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments There were different days for seniors, juniors, etc., in that order. It started at 9 am, first come first serve. This resulted in those of us who were afraid we wouldn't get our classes camping out for half the night, like waiting for awesome concert tickets but way less reward on the other end.
By the time my youngest sister went to university it was all on computer. I envied the way she could casually register and drop classes. She could even switch majors online in order to get into a major-only class, then switch again once she was in the class.

message 6: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I recall waiting in line, like RA mentioned, leafing through a big book to see what classes where available. And since they did registrations by last name, having the last name "Sanchez" meant sometimes the pickings could be slim.

I suppose you can do your registration online these days. You kids are so damned lucky.