Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > What needs to make a comeback?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 116 (116 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lesley-...

Anything you want to add to this list?
Anything on the list that you think should stay gone?

message 2: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Hang on...

Bring back handwritten thank-you notes? Did these go away? Because we've never stopped writing them here, and my seven year-old knows they are required when anyone sends him a gift.

message 3: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Fountain pens can stay gone. Ever seen what one can do in the hands of anyone under 20?

message 4: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Additions:

Big hair
Rockabilly
Pre-shootout professional hockey
Vinyl record albums and singles

message 5: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments See, here's where we seriously part ways. Except for that final one, I think the things on your list should remain dead and buried for eternity.

message 6: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Feh... European-style, dump-and-chase hockey is as dull as watching a car rust. Shootouts are just desperate gimmicks.

I guess what I'm trying to say is give me the Hansons putting on the foil over the left-wing lock any day.

Big hair? I've no defense. I just like it.

message 7: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments I wholeheartedly agree with #3-manners and #4-discreet voices (my children have never learned the art of whisper). #10-red lipstick, I don't agree with this because some people should never ever wear red lipstick...it looks garish and ridiculous on them. Some of the things that were mentioned I still have/do. Like picnics, crudite platters (not that I knew the correct name for them...we always have them for the holidays), and pocket watches...I only have one and it doesn't run anymore, but I love it.
And I'd really like a world tour honeymoon, that would be amazing!

message 8: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments I like everything on the list. I was going to say "manners" myself, but they got it. And I'd add suits on men, as long as we're bringing back the hats.

message 9: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments I'm not a fan of suits, or any other type of uniform dress, but I would like to ban sweatpants and ripped up shorts from airplanes.

Dress to impress, people. If you look good, you'll feel good.

message 10: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments GASP! Phil! You can not take away my sweatpants...NEVER! Me and my tiny mouth will exact revenge!

message 11: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments even though i'm not under 20 you better not hand me a fountain pen.

message 12: by Michael (new)

Michael I wear a hat all the time (don't have a fedora though) so I'll second that one. I'll also second 'manners' and 'libraries'. To the list, I'll add:

1. People dressing in actual clothes instead of t-shirts/torn jeans/sandals.
2. Bell Bottoms.
3. Letter writing.

message 13: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments janine wrote: "even though i'm not under 20 you better not hand me a fountain pen."

What would you do if I did? :-)

::cautiously extends fountain pen out to janine::

message 14: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments All dress is a uniform of some kind, Phil!

message 15: by Jonathan (last edited Nov 08, 2010 10:00AM) (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments For some reason, I had to learn how to write with a fountain pen when I was in the fifth grade. This was around 1978; even then fountain pens were a thing of the past. I can't see why they would make a comeback.

Hats, especially trilbies, have become a fad--probably a passing one--with hipsters (not me) in New York.

message 16: by Michael (new)

Michael Jonathan wrote: "Hats, especially trilbies, have become a fad--probably a passing one--with hipsters (not me) in New York."

Don't see too many of those here in Minneapolis. Ivy caps are pretty popular though in the winter.

message 17: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments You see those here too.

I generally get by with the give-away baseball cap that they send when you donate to public television.

message 18: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments There was still one Horn & Hardart left in New York--somewhere in the east 40s, I think--when I was a kid. It was a blast. Not sure when it closed, but it was a long time ago.

What happened Irish Setters?

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I think Irish Setters were popular because of the Kjelgaard books, and became less popular when people realized their brains were full of cotton candy. Beautiful dogs, though.

message 20: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments There's one in my neighborhood. She's a little high-strung and barks at squirrels but generally a nice dog. That's the only one I know, though, so I guess you must be right about the decline in popularity. There are also a couple of Gordon Setters around. They're somewhat mellower.

message 21: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Jim wrote: "janine wrote: "even though i'm not under 20 you better not hand me a fountain pen."

What would you do if I did? :-)

::cautiously extends fountain pen out to janine::"

*takes fountain pen, draws on a piece of paper, wipes fingers on jim's pants*

message 22: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments That's what I get for asking a stupid question.

message 23: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments legit funk music. i'm talking Ohio Players funk.

message 24: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "I think Irish Setters were popular because of the Kjelgaard books, and became less popular when people realized their brains were full of cotton candy. Beautiful dogs, though."

i had a great irish setter a few years ago named cochise. he was a bird hunting dog. that meant he was smaller and had shorter hair than the show bred dogs. very smart and very ambitious to hunt. irish setters along with other dogs became mostly bred for looks and they prized tall bodies, long flowing hair and thin long faces. along with those thin long faces went a small head. guess what was inside that small head? nothing. they sucked the life right out of these beautiful dogs.

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: i had a great irish setter a few years ago named cochise. he was a bird hunting dog. that meant he was smaller and had shorter hair than the show bred dogs. very smart and very ambitious to hunt. irish setters along with other dogs became mostly bred for looks and they prized tall bodies, long flowing hair and thin long faces. along with those thin long faces went a small head. guess what was inside that small head? nothing. they sucked the life right out of these beautiful dogs. "

That was what I was trying to say, but you said it better.

message 26: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "legit funk music. i'm talking Ohio Players funk."

Cameo - "Word Up"

Wild Cherry - "Play That Funky Music" (probably not legit, but I love that grunt (or does the guy say "Heeeeeyyyy..." like he's in pain?) about 10 seconds in.

message 27: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (bonfiggi) Homecooked food, families together at the table.

message 28: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments you got it clark. funk. war. bootsy collins. highly skilled musicians with a groove. no autotune no drum tracks no loops. a groove

message 29: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Phil wrote: "Hang on...

Bring back handwritten thank-you notes? Did these go away? Because we've never stopped writing them here, and my seven year-old knows they are required when anyone sends him a gift."

I think this depends on the situation and can be overdone. But some people are way into them, sure. But I don't have a problem with people saying "Thanks" when I give them something, and I sure don't get mad if they don't send a thank you note.

I think staying quiet in public more often should make a comeback, rather than shrill jackasses on cellular phones.

message 30: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24362 comments Mod
Phil wrote: "I'm not a fan of suits, or any other type of uniform dress, but I would like to ban sweatpants and ripped up shorts from airplanes.
"

I'd like to ban them from public areas in general.

message 31: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Koeeoaddi wrote: "Floaty dresses, civilized air travel, fondue, Horn & Hardart’s Automat, rapidograph pens, Irish Setters

ETA: love fountain pens, too old to be a hipster :)"

RAPIDOGRAPHS!!! YES !!!!!!

I wrote with one all through high school and most of college.

message 32: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Sarah Pi wrote: "I think Irish Setters were popular because of the Kjelgaard books, and became less popular when people realized their brains were full of cotton candy. Beautiful dogs, though."

I haven't seen one in years. Odd.

message 33: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Hats on men can stay gone. I never understood that dressy hat trend. Um, also don't see the point of bringing back telegrams....I think that lady is just watching a lot of Mad Men or something.

message 34: by Jan (new)

Jan | 241 comments Hip huggers. I thought they were so cool. They died out too quickly.

message 35: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Aren't all pants kind of hiphuggers now? It's impossible to find pants that cover your rear when you bend or squat.

message 36: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart That huffpo list is kinda elitist.

message 37: by Jan (new)

Jan | 241 comments >>Aren't all pants kind of hiphuggers now?<<

I guess you could say that. But the particular hiphugger look was a well-fitted pair of jeans. The kind kids wear now are simply too big for them and are specifically meant to show off their underwear. Yuck.

message 38: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Like these?

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Those blue ones look really nice.

message 40: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I like the blithe, can-do attitude those ladies are expressing. They also look like they have morals. No butt cracks or muffin tops here!

message 41: by Jan (new)

Jan | 241 comments LG, that's exactly the look I was talking about.

message 42: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments The one in blue needs a few good meals. Too scrawny.

message 43: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateharper) | 206 comments I love fountain pens. I own several. Finding one that works for you is like finding a pair of shoes that fits perfectly. Writing with a good fountain pen can be a really sensual experience. When I need to do something creative, I often start by sketching it or writing a description with my pen. It pulls me back to a state of mindfulness.

message 44: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments The original Alice Cooper band, with either Steve Hunter and/or Dick Wagner filling in for the late Glen Buxton.

message 45: by Jan (new)

Jan | 241 comments Sunday family dinners. It seems like everyone is so busy doing their own thing that this traditional mealtime is now a hit or miss affair.

message 46: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
Clark wrote: "Additions:

Big hair
Rockabilly
Pre-shootout professional hockey
Vinyl record albums and singles"

Should come back? Or stay away?

message 47: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Sally wrote: "Clark wrote: "Additions:

Big hair
Rockabilly