Book lovers discussion

Random > Help!

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I need to buy a birthday present for my brothers girlfriend and he said to get her a book. He said she likes Ian McEwan and Jodi Picoult so something along those lines. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

message 2: by Shelli (new)

Shelli Jo...I haven't read it...but picked it up at the library sale yesterday....Chasing Fireflies: A Novel of Discoverylooks like it got decent reviews...IDK much about it...but it kind of seemed like those kind of authors.

message 3: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Thanks, Shelli! One of the reviews compared the writing to Nicolas Sparks which i am sure i have seen on her bookshelf.

message 4: by J. (new)

J. Rubino (jrubino) A few writers whose names often appear in the "if you like Jodi Picoult" category are: Sue Miller, Rosellen Brown, Anita Shreve, Jacqueline Mitchard. Check them out on Amazon to see if they're what you're looking for.

janetility.com

message 5: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) Jo wrote: "I need to buy a birthday present for my brothers girlfriend and he said to get her a book. He said she likes Ian McEwan and Jodi Picoult so something along those lines. Does anyone have any suggest..."

On Chesil Beach

message 6: by Diane (last edited Nov 09, 2010 10:23AM) (new)

Diane  (dianedj) I would definitly buy him a book by one of those authors if you can find out one or two that he doesn't have. And if all else fails, a gift card to her favorite bookstore.

message 7: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Thanks everyone. I will check out the authors you mentioned, J.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah23l) Jo, if she likes Nicholas Sparks, he has a new book out called Safe Haven.

message 9: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I'm guessing she will have got that herself. I ended up ordering Fortune's Rocks by Anita Shreve. Hope she likes it!

message 10: by Mark (new)

Mark Slee | 1 comments Good choice Jo, I think she will love it :-))
Chesil Beach is also good and a book I have always recommended which was a surprisingly good read for me was "The Pursuit of Happiness" by Douglas Kennedy

message 11: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I'm not sure which of Ian McEwans books she already has so i steered clear of him.
Is The Pursuit of Happiness related to the movie?