Ling AP Lit. and Comp. 2010-11 discussion

What is Truth? > Winston and Julia - Why'd They Get Together?

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Disalvo | 21 comments In part one of 1984, we see the sexual tension between Winston and Julia and then finally, the beginning of their sexual encounters. During one encounter, Winston confesses to Julia, "The more men you've had, the more I love you... I hate purity, I hate goodness. I don't want any virtue to exist anywhere" (104). After reading this quote, I recognized the rawness of his statement and couldn't help but question, why does Winston fall for Julia in the first place? We know he has a deep sexual attraction for her, but is it something more? Does he merely want a relationship with Julia so he can rebel against the party and finally feel alive?

I obviously would say "yes" to the above question. On page 105, Julia tells Winston, referring to the current hideout, "We can come here once again. It's generally safe to use any hide-out twice." She says this as if she is talking to a business partner. I believe that in the beginning of the relationship between Winston and Julia, they use each other as a means to defy the party and achieve thrill. Not to say that they don't have true feelings for each other as time passes, but I notice the hatred of the Party that they share and their desire to act out against it.

message 2: by Catie (new)

Catie Cooper | 20 comments I have to agree with you Rachel. In the beginning the purpose of the relationship seemed to be defying the Party. There definitely was no feeling involved because up until that point Winston hated Julia and even told her so. He said, "I hated the sight of you," and he also said "I wanted to rape you and then murder you afterwards. Two weeks ago I thought seriously of smashing your head in with a cobblestone." (101). I think it is fairly safe to say that at that point, Winston had no feelings for Julia. I think she had feelings for him because in the note she gave him it did say I love you, but Winston's reason for entering into the relationship was to practice an act of civil disobedience against the Party.