Green Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
The Green Group Community > I NEED YOUR HELP

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marieke (new)

Marieke Hi everyone--my sincere apologies that you are stuck for the time being with a clueless moderator. I cannot run the number of simultaneous book clubs within this group that Michelle did, so I'd like to hear from you guys how you'd like to do things here. I would love for the group to be more active, first and foremost, but how can we accomplish that? I have two ideas so far, and maybe some of you have ideas, too. Or maybe you think one or the other of my ideas is good, or maybe both of my ideas are terrible. In any case, please tell me what you think.

Okay.
My ideas:
1) we keep the simultaneous clubs but have a separate moderator to run each individual
club.
2) we rotate the clubs/topics each month. So, for example, in the next week or so we decide (collectively or I can spin around blindfolded and pick one of the topics at random) what the topic will be, and then we can start making suggestions for books to read. In the last week of November I'll set up a poll to choose our December book.

So now I need feedback! Thanks in advance, everyone!

message 2: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Crimmel (jeffreyrcrimmelcom) | 9 comments I think you must do what you think best with the input you get. For instance if you choose a book for followers to read, I may or may not read it depending upon how I am using time in my life. You are putting the time into this site so I pass my vote onto you to do what you think is best.

Jeff

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy Lou Jenkins (amyloujenkins) | 4 comments Hi Marieke. I must admit I'm new and have been too confused by the happinings here to understand how things work. Amy Lou Jenkins

message 4: by Charles (new)

Charles Vrooman (greenpower) | 48 comments I know it takes both time and effort to set up the “Talk with Authors”, but I feel it was very successful. So I hope you’ll consider keeping this going. I’ll be glad to participate when my new novel, “The True Virus”, is accepted for publication. I’ve learned a lot after my first environmental thriller novel, “Green Power” ( http://vrooman.webs.com/ ), was published. Maybe Michelle can advise you as to how to set this up.

message 5: by Marieke (new)

Marieke Charles wrote: "I know it takes both time and effort to set up the “Talk with Authors”, but I feel it was very successful. So I hope you’ll consider keeping this going. I’ll be glad to participate when my new nove..."

Hi Charles, yes, absolutely. and Michelle is definitely giving me pointers on certain things and this is an excellent example on where i need her advice. i also have enjoyed the few "talk with authors" i've been able to participate in--but i did not do any organizing for those. :D

message 6: by Marieke (new)

Marieke thank you everyone so far for your feedback, please keep it coming. my main concern is that the group remain active and also become even more so. however we end up arranging things, i want to do it with that in mind--both of the suggestions i gave above are things i am comfortable doing with my schedule. and i'm pretty sure we'll be adding another moderator shortly.

do most people enjoy monthly group reads?

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy Lou Jenkins (amyloujenkins) | 4 comments Personally, I write, teach, review and love books. I read several a month and probably wouldn't be able to add more than one book to my month. But then I don't have to be a part of all that goes on here. I'd also be available to participate in a Talk with the Authors, re Every Natural Fact. Best ALJ

message 8: by Ingy (new)

Ingy (ngnoah) Hi Marieke..
I prefer the second choice.. to rotate topics.
I find various topics with various book clubs difficult to follow anyway since I'm interested in all of them!

But I must say that most of these books I can't find in my local bookstores, and so I rarely participate in discussions -except by reading them!- so the choice is finally yours.

message 9: by Marieke (new)

Marieke Ng wrote: "Hi Marieke..
I prefer the second choice.. to rotate topics.
I find various topics with various book clubs difficult to follow anyway since I'm interested in all of them!"

i think i'm partial to rotating topics myself...because i know i will want to read everything and i have other groups that i moderate/participate in plus that thing called "life" lol. :D

but i think i have another moderator joining me who has a strong background in environmental science and she should be a tremendous help with picking books/focusing discussions/adding interesting material. and of course michelle is still a member and will certainly have lots of recommendations for us!

i'm here to learn first and foremost; i can't claim to have any kind of strong knowledge about environmental issues. and the books michelle has included are all terrific and remind me how underexposed i have been to topics related to the environment.

anyway, i'm very chatty and i'd love others to join me in that! :D

message 10: by Niledaughter (new)

Niledaughter Hello Marieke & everyone :

I am not very much involved in the group , but I want to , I only read what concern my specialty directly & felt lost checking the multiple threads ! :o

I think the second option may work fine with me .
Making a poll among certain book ; evolving specific topic helps me concentrate , take my decision & organize my efforts & time ..

message 11: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten | 282 comments What topics would people be most interested in seeing? Policy, climate change, extinction, sea levels, oceans in general, economic impacts, other??

message 12: by Niledaughter (last edited Nov 10, 2010 10:12PM) (new)

Niledaughter I am very much interested in (Sustainability) , on all scales, I am not very much informed (in my beginning) , I am more involved with : Sustainable architecture , bio- architecture & green architecture –personally I can not tell the differences !
So any activity in that area will be more than interesting for me :D

message 13: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten | 282 comments The school I went to was also very interested in sustainability, so even if the group doesn't cover it right away, I'm sure I can come up with some book suggestions for you :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.