ALISS Book Discussion Group discussion

Never Let Me Go

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jared (new)

Jared Harmon | 5 comments Mod
It's been a crazy couple of months, and I really hate to miss another meeting. However, I have once again failed to finish the book in time (I may just go the audio book route next time). So I probably will not be there tonight. I will try my hardest to be at the next one because I do enjoy the meetings.
I'm about halfway through Never Let Me Go, and it is pretty interesting. I like the sort of warped perspective it has on what it means to live by having the main characters be synthetic humans created solely for organ donations (at least that's what seems to be happening so far). The tone is really odd because the person telling the story (for some reason I can't remember her name...that always happens to me in real life and in fiction) only has a very limited view on what it means to be human.

message 2: by Ben (new)

Ben Franz (benfranz) | 12 comments The narrator is Kathy. I suspect Ishigurosan wanted her view of what it is to be human to be specifically as limited as her upbringing at Hailsham would make it. After all, the school for all intensive purposes is kind of like a juvenile prison, where they ensure the donors are kept safe and secure through adolescence. It is a hauntingly fantastic book, and the movie is an equally impressive labor of love on the part of the filmmakers.

I too feel rotten for missing the last few meetings. I would have been at The Eyre Affair, had it not been for a last minute dinner party that my mother instructed me I had to attend. This one just was not possible as it was a Friday night, and with exception to the summer time my body is expected at home. With a little luck, I will make the next one myself.

message 3: by Carri (new)

Carri | 10 comments Has the movie been shown here in Indianapolis Ben? None of us had seen it and Andrea did not think it had come here yet.

We have missed both of you! Especially when we tried to correctly pronounce Kazuo Ishiguro. :)

message 4: by Ben (new)

Ben Franz (benfranz) | 12 comments Why yes Carri, It played for a short run between the end of September and beginning of October at the Landmark Keystone Art. Having said that, I do recall that the theater often sells DVD copies of the films they screened in the recent past for 20 bucks a DVD. Might be worth looking into. That or if it gets enough Oscar nods, it might earn a second screening in December-January.

Alternatively, one could see if it's still playing in Chicago, where they actually care enough about the Art house movies to keep them in the theater.

message 5: by Ben (new)

Ben Franz (benfranz) | 12 comments I hear that, I did spend a lot of time watching the works of Japanese filmmakers, and thus have learned the proper pronunciation of Japanese, amongst other languages...