Aussie Readers discussion

Individual Book Discussions > Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (last edited Nov 05, 2010 12:20AM) (new)

Emily | 83 comments For my HSC area of study: belonging, I've chosen to use this book.
If anyone has any opinions or quotes that you think could help me it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!

message 2: by Amber (new)

Amber (ambermay_5) | 48 comments Ninteen minutes is one of my favourite Jodi Picoult books, I think this entry from Page 241 sums up trying to belong.

Ask a random kid today if she wants to be popular and she'll tell you no, even if the truth is that if she was in a desert dying of thirst and had the choice between a glass of water and instant popularity, she'd probably choose the latter. See, you can't admit to wanting it, because that makes you less cool. To be truly popular, it has to look like it's something you are, when in reality, it's what you make yourself.

I wonder if any works harder at anything than kids do at being popular. I mean, even air-traffic controllers and the president of the United States take vacations, but look at your average high school student and you'll see someone who's putting in time twenty-four hours a day, for the entire length of the school year.

So how do you crack the inner sanctum? Well, here's the catch: it's not up to you. What's important is what everyone else thinks of how you dress, what you eat for lunch, what shows you TiVo, what music is on your iPod.

I've always sort of wondered though: If everyone else's opinion is what matters, then do you ever really have one of your own?

Hope this helps you Emily.

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily | 83 comments Thats a good quote. Thank you very much.

message 4: by Amber (new)

Amber (ambermay_5) | 48 comments Carmel wrote: "Amber, now I know why I want to read this book again! This and "The Pact", "My Sister's Keeper" & "Salem Falls" were all brilliant!
Cheers"

Carmel, I have enjoyed all of her books but I think the one's you've listed are my favourites. :)

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura Rittenhouse | 200 comments Emily, I hope you are given plenty of words to cover the topic "belonging" when it comes to this book.

It is definitely about being popular and belonging to the right (or wrong) group of peers. But it's also about belonging to family. There is some pretty heavy stuff in this book about the 2 main characters, Peter and Josie, and their relationships in their family.

To me this book is truly about belonging: how we can become a member of a desirable group, what we face if we're denied entry, how we can help (or hinder) others in their struggle for belonging. There are so many ways to deal with this dynamic, and many are highlighted in this book.

Enjoy the read and good luck with your project.

message 6: by Emily (new)

Emily | 83 comments Thanks for all the help. I will have to re-read it over the holidays and start a list.
I'm thinking I will have too much to talk about now...

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Having too much to talk about can only be a good thing. Good luck with it Emily.

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily | 83 comments Yea. Its for next year. But I'm sure it will be next week soon enough. I'm glad I picked it because I don't think I will ever get sick of reading it.

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily | 83 comments Aww. Thank you so much.

message 10: by Tango (last edited Nov 07, 2010 11:40AM) (new)

Tango | 290 comments My advice would be to find something more literary (maybe The Catcher in the Rye - remember who your audience is). I have read this book and agree that the notion of belonging is explored to a reasonable extent, however I found it pretty predictable.

message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily | 83 comments We were advised to not do texts that have been done to death, you could say. The Catcher in the Rye and To Kill a Mockingbird are done by so many students that the markers get bored. Or so we are told.
Plus I didn't want something that would become hard to re-read and I love Jodi Picoult. It has enough about belonging in it, I think anyway. I need 2 texts so it doesn't have to have that many ideas, just a few.

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura Rittenhouse | 200 comments Well you've certainly got a few ideas with 19 Mins! I think you've made a great choice - lot of relevant concepts and a good read.

message 13: by Sass (new)

Sass | 14 comments I did the HSC a couple of years ago, and I agree you should stick with 19 Mins. My teacher wass a HSC marker for a while and she told us how bored the markers got when the same texts were done over and over. As long as you can make your arguement and back it up with evidence and quotes, you should be fine.
19 Mins also talks about what a person will put up with/do in order to continue belonging eg Josie's relationship.

Good luck with the HSC :)

message 14: by Emily (new)

Emily | 83 comments Oh wow. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks! Thats a great point.

message 15: by Sass (new)

Sass | 14 comments You're welcome, although I should be grumpy with you, cause it made me want to reread the book, but as I was searching my bookshelves for it I came across all these other books that I haven't read for a while, so I'm going to be lost for the rest of the night, lol.

message 16: by Emily (new)

Emily | 83 comments Your welcome??

message 17: by Tracey (new)

Tracey Alley (traceya) | 485 comments I'd already read quite a few of Jodi Picoult's work before I read 19 Minutes but it absolutely blew me away. She has a talent for getting inside people's heads and developing characters that is truly remarkable. Now that we're talking about it I think I'll grab my copy and give it a re-read.

message 18: by Bec (new)

Bec (specky2009) | 7 comments Yeah I'm doing this text for my HSC belonging text as well. It's such an amazing book!

message 19: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Bec wrote: "Yeah I'm doing this text for my HSC belonging text as well. It's such an amazing book!"

I love that you guys (Emily and Bec) can use this site to help you with your studies. If you ever have other books that you'd like to start a discussion about to get some ideas don't hesitate to use us!!

message 20: by Bec (new)

Bec (specky2009) | 7 comments Mandy wrote: "Bec wrote: "Yeah I'm doing this text for my HSC belonging text as well. It's such an amazing book!"

I love that you guys (Emily and Bec) can use this site to help you with your studies. If you e..."

Thankyou very much! I have no doubt that I will. I'm at this very moment writing a response to Peter's sense of belonging throughout the book for an essay tomorrow. :S

message 21: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Bec wrote: "Mandy wrote: "Bec wrote: "Yeah I'm doing this text for my HSC belonging text as well. It's such an amazing book!"
I love that you guys (Emily and Bec) can use this site to help you with your studi..."

I thought you guys were about finished school for the year! Just in case it's not too late there's a Jodi Picoult reading group on Goodreads as well: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1...

message 22: by Bec (new)

Bec (specky2009) | 7 comments I finish next week but my first english assignment is tomorrow and wednesday. Thankyou for the link! And yes it's my favourite Jodi Picoult book as well Carmel. XD

message 23: by Emily (new)

Emily | 83 comments I still have another 2 weeks! It's painful. But only 2 more assignments and they are both due next monday! Then I'm (relatively) freeee!!!

message 24: by Bec (new)

Bec (specky2009) | 7 comments Emily wrote: "I still have another 2 weeks! It's painful. But only 2 more assignments and they are both due next monday! Then I'm (relatively) freeee!!!"

lols I know exactly how you feel! I have a few to do in the holidays still (which I'm guessing you probably do as well) but I can't wait to have some off my back.

message 25: by Emily (new)

Emily | 83 comments Oh yea. Ancient History essay and all of my subject summaries. But like an idiot (as I always do) I'll start them a week before school goes back.

message 26: by Bec (new)

Bec (specky2009) | 7 comments I have an ancient one as well! And I have to start my history extension one. Sames, the summaries are the most annoying part!

message 27: by Emily (new)

Emily | 83 comments What subjects do you do??

message 28: by Bec (new)

Bec (specky2009) | 7 comments English Ad, English Extension, Ancient, History Extension, Music 2, Mathematics, Studies of Religion 1.
You?

message 29: by Emily (new)

Emily | 83 comments Haha. Thanks Carmel. I try to start early but other things have to be done first. I'll work harder next year.
I do Adv Maths, Adv English, Biology, Chemistry, Food Technology and Ancient History.

message 30: by Emily (new)

Emily | 83 comments Yep. Finish 2011. Only 3 terms next year then our HSC exams. SCARY!!

message 31: by Tracey (new)

Tracey Alley (traceya) | 485 comments I DO NOT miss H/S but loved, loved, loved Uni - going back next year for my Masters. Already have two BA's, just love to learn but I didn't enjoy the way H/S was organized - all I ever learned in H/S was how to beat the system :)
Good luck girls

message 32: by Bec (new)

Bec (specky2009) | 7 comments I just wanted to say thanks for the help guys :) I got full marks for my english assignment. I hope you all had a great christmas and have an awesome new year!

message 33: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 3071 comments well done Bec!

message 34: by Laura (new)

Laura Rittenhouse | 200 comments That is great Bec. Enjoy your summer.