The History Book Club discussion

ARCHIVE > INTRODUCTION - 50 BOOKS IN 2011

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Jan 26, 2011 06:03PM) (new)

Bentley | 44207 comments Mod
This will be a fun challenge for everyone. If you are interested in participating, I will set up a thread for you titled your name and BOOKS READ IN 2011.

You can track all of the books that you have read during 2011 and get credit for them.

I have already set up a thread for myself: BENTLEY'S 50 BOOKS READ IN 2011.

If you want to participate, then send me a PM or post your request here and I will create for you you your own thread so that you can challenge yourself. Always when you list your books only after finishing them, include the finish date, the name of the book (add book cover), the author's and author's photo link if available. Don't forget to number them consecutively so that you can keep track.

So let me know, and you can get started. You really are only competing against yourself and seeing how well you can do. Also, you can start this challenge any time at all...just send me a PM or post here and I will set up your own personal thread. Great way to keep track of your completed books.

Also, they can be in any format, hardcopy, paperback, audiobooks, kindle, nook, sony e-reader. But they cannot be listed until you finish them. And you have to include the finish date (any genre)

By the way, even if you do not think that you can make 50 books..it is still a great way to spur yourself on. Also there are those of you who I think will go beyond 50 since some of you are such avid readers.

Happy Reading,

Bentley

Sample Guide: (this is not an optional format but must be followed)

JANUARY

1. My Early Life 1874-1904 by Winston S. Churchill Winston S. Churchill Winston S. Churchill
Finish date: March 2008
Rating: A
Review or a Few Words about book: You can add text from a review you have written but no links to any review elsewhere even goodreads. And that is about it. Just make sure to number consecutively and just add the months.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Flanagan (loboz) Hi Bentley count me in

message 3: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Nov 04, 2010 02:44AM) (new)

Folks, here is a sample guide:

JANUARY

1. My Early Life 1874-1904 by Winston S. Churchill Winston S. Churchill Winston S. Churchill
Review or a Few Words about book: You can add text from a review you have written but no links to any review elsewhere even goodreads. And that is about it. Just make sure to number consecutively and just add the months.

message 4: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Nov 04, 2010 02:53AM) (new)

You can also let me know you if you would like a 2011 thread set up for yourself here.

Remember no self promotion or links to personal reviews; but you can retype extracts.

a) All mods automatically get a thread set up for them.

b) If you already requested a thread previously in 2010; then I just automatically added a thread for you in advance for 2011.

message 5: by Vicki, Assisting Moderator - Ancient Roman History (new)

Vicki Cline | 3835 comments Mod
I'm game, Bentley, sign me up.

message 6: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

History Book Club Members:

If you would like a thread set up for yourself for 2011, let me know.

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 7 comments Bentley wrote: "This will be a fun challenge for everyone. If you are interested in participating, I will set up a thread for you titled your name and BOOKS READ IN 2011.

You can track all of the books that yo..."

What a challenge! I love it. Please set me up.

message 8: by Brian (new)

Brian (till-we-read-again) | 0 comments Bentley,
Please count me in...this will be fun. Can't wait to see what other people have read.

message 9: by Richard (new)

Richard | 3 comments Well, Im new to the group but really excited about all the activity going on. Never have Joined a group and have someone respond to my post so quickly. Count me in, and thank you.

message 10: by Vincent (new)

Vincent (vpbrancato) | 1246 comments Bentley wrote: "You can also let me know you if you would like a 2011 thread set up for yourself here.

Remember no self promotion or links to personal reviews; but you can retype extracts.

a) All mods automati..."

Hi Bentley

Pls set me up for 2011

Thanks

Vince

message 11: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten I'm in. I'll be back in school, so we'll see how this goes...

message 12: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten Exactly, and given that I have a habit of accepting summer jobs in tiny towns with nothing else to do but read, I might be able to make up lost ground there.

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Hi Bentley - I'd like to join in on this as well. Thank you.

message 14: by Vincent (new)

Vincent (vpbrancato) | 1246 comments Bentley wrote: "Will do."

Hi Bentley

Did you miss setting up my page?

Happy New Year

Vince

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Bentley wrote: "Laura, your thread is set up."

Thanks, Bentley!

message 16: by Becky (new)

Becky (httpsbeckylindrooswordpresscom) | 1217 comments Could I please have a thread, Bentley? - I'll only post history and historical fiction - (I read 150 books in 2010 - I'm wondering if there were that many history and historical fiction.)

Thank you and Happy New Year!

Becky

message 17: by Steven (new)

Steven Harbin (stevenharbin) | 105 comments Happy New Year Bentley! (and everyone else:)
Please sign me up!
Thanks,
Steve Harbin

message 18: by Becky (new)

Becky (httpsbeckylindrooswordpresscom) | 1217 comments I'd really like to do this. Could I please join?
Thanks,
Becky

message 19: by John (new)

John | 3 comments Hi Bentley,

Would you please set up a list for me.
Thank you,

John Fischer

message 20: by Elizabeth S (new)

Elizabeth S (esorenson) | 2011 comments Wow! Lot's of people taking the challenge this year. It'll be fun!

message 21: by John (new)

John E | 105 comments Please set up a thread for me. I've followed other peoples over the past year and have enjoyed the variety and smarts exhibited. Keep smiling.

message 22: by John (new)

John E | 105 comments Bentley wrote: "John, I have set your thread up but you and John Fischer have to be careful. Your thread is titled just John and his is titled John Fischer."

Thanks for setting my thread up. Yes, there are a lot of Johns in the world -- as my wife says, "Every house needs one."

message 23: by Mary (new)

Mary Kristine | 142 comments Bently,
I would love to partipate in 50 in 2011. Could you please set me up.
Thank you,
Mary

message 24: by Ivonne (new)

Ivonne (ivonnewrites) | 17 comments I'd love to be in the challenge!!! Can I join?

message 25: by John (new)

John E | 105 comments Just a suggestion. I think it would be nice if we could indicate what type of book we have just read. Was it history, historical fiction, politics, science-fiction, mainstream fiction, a memoir, or whatever category you wish to use. I'll try to do this with my listings.

message 26: by Elizabeth S (new)

Elizabeth S (esorenson) | 2011 comments That is a good idea, John. I think I'll add that as well. Sometimes books fit into several genres, or don't really fit any of them, but that can be indicated also.

message 27: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Hello Folks,

Just a reminder. We have given everybody who has asked for a thread one and we are happy to have you participate in this fun activity. However, having said that, please make sure to follow the format and the guidelines for these threads.

We have done our first monthly pass to make sure that the guidelines and format are followed and most are doing terrific.

If at any time a moderator asks you in a helpful way to fix something that is not following our format, you should take their assistance to heart and just fix the problem whatever that might be even if it is ever so small or something you think is not needed.

We have the format established so that everyone can find anything on anybody's list easily and quickly instead of hunting something down or being confused because someone used a different format and the links are not there, or the author's photo when available or the author's name in linkable text. We have used the words Finish date and a colon afterwards and the word Rating with a colon afterward (in that order also for formatting reasons) even though some of you don't want to be bothered about guidelines etc.

However, if you ignore our friendly attempts to assist you and ignore any of the moderator's requests, then unfortunately if you continue to do so or we know you are ignoring our requests, your thread will be deleted. All of the moderators are volunteers just doing an unpaid job for the love of the group and History. Please help them by fixing up what they ask you to fix up without any harangues. They will help you if need be; but you need to ask for help and at least try to make an attempt to follow our guidelines and format.

Remember the order of the format as follows:

Month at the top of any list of books completed for that month. You only have to list it at the beginning of the first book for any particular month.

Number the books; don't forget to do that.

Then the bookcover which is available 98% of the time; if the bookcover is not available, then add the book link which is the book's title in linkable text and then in parentheses put the words (no cover available). Then add the author's photo (we like to see what they look like - it looks cool and is fun). But sometimes the author's photo is not available and that is fine if that is the case. If you sometimes forget to add this and are reminded; you must go back and edit your book and add it right away. Then finally the author's name in linkable text; for the most part - this segment is always in goodreads.

Then on the next line the words Finish Date: and the date you finished the book.

Then on the next line the word Rating: and the rating you gave the book.

Then follow the above with a review of the book itself (no matter how short or long a review you want to add)

No self promotion and no links to blogs, urls, other websites, other posted book reviews, etc.

And then you are done with your entry. Once you learn the format it is really a snap after that. This is good practice for learning how to do citations in any other part of our site. If you are having problems with the citations here, then you are having problems all over the site and are not following the group's guidelines. Look to a thread called the Mechanics of the Board in the Help Desk folder for hints and assistance or you can ask one of the moderators. We are always here for help; you need only ask. What we do frown upon are folks who just do not want to bother following guidelines because they personally do not think it is necessary.

Here is the sample guide once again. This is not an optional format:

JANUARY

message 28: by Veronika (new)

Veronika  Sprague (veronikasprague) Bentley, could you set me up for one as well, please? I'm actually hoping to hit a hundred, but this is a great way to keep track of myself. :) Thanks!

message 29: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (sirenicangel) | 12 comments I'm a couple months behind lol but I would love to sign up for this. I'll be moving in a month and will only have access to the internet for awhile by stopping at cafe's with wifi lol, so if it seems like I've been for a bit don't give up on me lol. Hopefully I'll be able to be at a cafe at least once or twice a week.

message 30: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Williams | 51 comments Okay, I'm new here but am definitely up for the challenge. Count me in.

Thanks.

Jeff

message 31: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (queenravenclaw) | 329 comments I just joined today and my name is Queenravenclaw could you set one up for me I wasn't sure how to pm you so im posting here. I've got 6 books on hold at my library atm so lets see how well I can do. I don't think I've read anything historical since Jan. So I'm starting now.

message 32: by Alisa (new)

Alisa (mstaz) Jeffrey and Krystal, glad you are interested. Our lead moderator, Bentley, will set up individual threads for each of you. He will leave a note as soon as he does with the guidelines for how to post your progress. All books count in the challenge - it does not have to be history related - but it is fun to chart your progress. He's been attending to a few things but am sure he will be out here soon to get you set up. Good luck, and have fun with it!

message 33: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (queenravenclaw) | 329 comments kk thank you. I have yet to figure out private messaging on here. As soon as i get a book I will post it here when my thread gets put up. I will need the link once i have my own theard because coming on the group i was confused i had to look at all the discussions to find one that i had an interest in.

message 34: by Alisa (new)

Alisa (mstaz) Yes, we will set up your own thread and will send it to you. Hold your post until then, it will be soon.

To PM one of the moderators, if you click on the link to The History Book Club it should have a list of all of us on the right hand side. If you click on the link that takes you to our individual profile you should see a send message link near the top. You can type in and send your PM that way. I have sent a note to Bentley for both of you so as soona she is able to respond we'll get you squared away.

All the moderators are volunteers and we are scattered around the globe but we all stay on top of it as much as possible so chances are any one of us can get to you relatively soon.

message 35: by Alisa (new)

Alisa (mstaz) Jeffrey and Krystal, you now both have individual threads set up for each of you. You must follow the format that is listed as an example in the first post. If you have any questions or trouble let me know. Once you get started I will delete the first post. Good luck, and happy reading!

message 36: by Veronika (new)

Veronika  Sprague (veronikasprague) Thanks, Bentley!

message 37: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (wilssearch) I would like to do this next year if you are going to do it again.

~Jackie

message 38: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Buchholz | 8 comments This seems like it was a good idea. I hope you start it again for this coming year!

message 39: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  | 180 comments I love this idea. Since I wasn't a member last year when this was started, I am really excited about being able to participate this time around. Please also include me in the challenge.

message 40: by John (new)

John Petroshius (johnnychicago) | 13 comments ...same here Bentley, sounds cool...I have at least fifty books sitting on my desk right now that I'm trying (very slowly) to get through...

message 41: by Autumn (new)

Autumn | 276 comments If you wouldn't mind, please sign me up for 2012! I would appreciate it! I love looking at book ideas on everyone's lists, plus I want to shoot for 50 books next year!

message 42: by Autumn (new)

Autumn | 276 comments No rush. Just excited so I put in my order very early :)). Thanks for your time and all you do to make this club what it is.

message 43: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (queenravenclaw) | 329 comments Can I try again for 2012? I only got half the list done this year and there are 100's of books on my to-read list. I also started a little late and some books were long so i'd like to try again if I may.

message 44: by Michael (new)

Michael Flanagan (loboz) Its a great way to see what other members are reading and their thoughts on those books.

message 45: by Mary (new)

Mary Kristine | 142 comments We are going to this next year, aren't we?

message 46: by Alisa (new)

Alisa (mstaz) Mary, yes we will do this again. See Bentley's post in 107 above, he'll be getting to it later in the month.

message 47: by Marata (new)

Marata | 3 comments I would like to be included in this list.

message 48: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Will include you Tamara. Thanks for your interest.

message 49: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Jennifer wrote: "Bentley wrote: "This will be a fun challenge for everyone. If you are interested in participating, I will set up a thread for you titled your name and BOOKS READ IN 2011.

You can track all of t..."

UPDATE: @ JENNIFER: So sorry this slipped my mind; however, you are now set up on the 50 Books for 2012 thread.

message 50: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Dec 10, 2011 06:33AM) (new)

UPDATE TO TIM FROM PLYMOUTH: You are set up in 2012 thread

UPDATE TO BRIAN WITH THE BLACK DOG AVATAR - You are set up in 2012 thread

UPDATE TO RICHARD FROM HOUSTON: You are set up in the 2012 thread and sorry you got lost on the long thread.

UPDATE TO JOHN E AND JOHN FISCHER - BOTH OF YOU are set up in the 2012 thread.

UPDATE TO JENNIFER FROM BLAINE - You are set up in the 2012 thread.

UPDATES TO JACKIE FROM EVANSTON, BENJAMIN BUCHHOLZ, KATHY F FROM TOCCUA, JOHN PETROSHIUS, AUTUMN BRADY, KRYSTAL - Your 2012 threads are up.

« previous 1