Romance, Historical or Otherwise discussion

Archive > Need Recommendations, Please!

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Merrill (new)

Merrill (merrillc) Hi all! I'm hoping you can help me! For next year's book club, I'm responsible for suggesting 2 romance titles for the group to consider. This is not a genre I'm all that familiar with, except for Nora Roberts and some chick lit authors.

I'm trying to find something more substantial than the stereotypical bodice ripper, more plotline with romance as the thread that ties it together. Any suggestions for a bunch of readers not familiar with this genre? Thanks!!

message 2: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (last edited Nov 04, 2010 08:03AM) (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 1520 comments Mod
YUP.... LOL... Here We go!!!

Whitney, My Love (Westmoreland, #2) by Judith McNaught Almost Heaven by Judith McNaught Once and Always by Judith McNaught
Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon The Bronze Horseman (Tatiana and Alexander, #1) by Paullina Simons
The Tea Rose (The Tea Rose, #1) by Jennifer Donnelly

The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie  by Jennifer Ashley for a smaller, typical romance.. But an AWESOME story.. different and heart breaking...

April & Oliver A Novel by Tess Callahan
Mistress of Rome by Kate Quinn
Any Historical Romance by Julia Quinn..Julia Quinn especially When He Was Wicked (Bridgertons, #6) by Julia Quinn

Oh my.. There are TONS... let me know if you would like more suggestions.
The Wildest Heart by Rosemary Rogers The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley The Exile of Sara Stevenson by Darci Hannah On a Highland Shore by Kathleen Givens Through a Glass Darkly by Karleen Koen

message 3: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (last edited Nov 04, 2010 07:59AM) (new)

Oh and... Sorry forgot some genres... ;)

If you wanna try Paranormal..

Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward (Not one of my fave's, but they are immensely popular among these parts...) and Dead Until Dark  by Charlaine Harris (True Blood/HBO is based off of these books.. AMAZING)

I am not a huge paranormal fan, myself.. but there are plenty members who are, and I am sure they can recommend more.

message 4: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) FWIW, I was not a big fan of Dark Lover at all, but ended up loving the series. I think I initially gave DL 1 star and just upped it to two stars. But I ended up loving the series. But I wouldn't recommend it for a book club ... I think Outlander is a great book for a book club (if they can handle the lengh)!!

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 160 comments Great choices Shell!!! You absolutely can't go wrong with Judith McNaught!!! Or J.R Ward, and I LOVE Charlaine Harris too!!!

message 6: by Merrill (new)

Merrill (merrillc) Awesome, thank you so much! These are great choices and take me way beyond the limited knowledge I had before, i.e. Nora Roberts. I'm personally a fan of the paranormal so I'll check that out for myself. BTW, most of the group has already read the entire Outlander series, or that would have been FIRST on my list! LOL

message 7: by Leea (new)

Leea Shell wrote: "YUP.... LOL... Here We go!!!

Whitney, My Love (Westmoreland, #2) by Judith McNaughtAlmost Heaven by Judith McNaughtOnce and Always by Judith McNaught
Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon[bookcover:The Bronze Horseman|6323104..."

LOVE LOVE LOVE your picks!! Some i need to read!

message 8: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Merrill wrote: "Awesome, thank you so much! These are great choices and take me way beyond the limited knowledge I had before, i.e. Nora Roberts. I'm personally a fan of the paranormal so I'll check that out for m..."

Merril... If they have read Outlander... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Check out The Bronze Horseman (Tatiana and Alexander, #1) by Paullina Simons .. It truly is amazing.

message 9: by Merrill (new)

Merrill (merrillc) Well, at 832 pages, they just might kill me for suggesting it, but what the heck... it's my genre! Thanks Shell!

message 10: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (last edited Nov 04, 2010 08:25PM) (new)

Anytime Merrill... :)

message 11: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 144 comments Merrill They will be thanking you. TBH is the best epic love story!