Tudor History Lovers discussion

Hello?!!

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 854 comments WHERE IS EVERYONE????? I miss you guys!!! :(

message 2: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 161 comments Aly wrote: "WHERE IS EVERYONE????? I miss you guys!!! :("

Lol. I just haven't been reading anything Tudor lately.

message 3: by Paula (new)

Paula | 85 comments I'm here, too, just trying to chug through past group reads and trying to wait ever so patiently for the next read to start!

message 4: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 854 comments I'm currently reading The Concubine by Norah Lofts. It's about AB. I'm not totally sold on it. In fact, I laid it aside to reread the seventh Harry Potter book LOL. It's been super quiet over here lately!! I'm ready for the next group read too!!

message 5: by Marylou (new)

Marylou (loulu) | 164 comments I also wonder where everyone is because only a few write. Is the XConcubine good? I have it but have not read it. I am reading about Henry's sisters, Margaret and Mary. It is very good.

message 6: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 854 comments It reminds me of Brief Gaudy Hour by Margaret Campbell Barnes. I didn't like that book. If this one doesn't pick up, I probably will not finish it. The writing is kind of annoying me. AB is supposed to be the main character, but I haven't really read anything much from her point of view. So, in summation, not my favorite so far. But, I've only read about a quarter of the way through so it has plenty of time to redeem itself.

message 7: by Marylou (new)

Marylou (loulu) | 164 comments Some of those fiction writers are trite, don't you think? Wish I had not ordered some of them. So maybe I won't read Concubine.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey everyone!

I havent been reading Tudor books for a while either...
But recently got a copy of The Secret Diary of Anne Boleyn
It was on sale and I thought it might be good

message 9: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Totten (katherine42) Well, I'm reading Ken Follett's Fall of Giants. It is the first of three novels that trace the activities of a group of young men throughout the 20th century. Their nationalities are: English, Russian, Welsh, American, and German. Right now, I'm about half way through, which is World War I in 1916. I should be just about finished before we decide which Tudor book to read as a group.

message 10: by Jennifer, Mod #5 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 951 comments I'm here, too... I'm reading Unicorn's Blood by Patricia Finney. It's weird but I think I like it. I'm just not really sure yet! I have no idea what's going on in it. Very odd. I'm about 70 pages and...

*LITTLE SPOILERS*
Elizabeth is a lesbian, or at least has lesbian tendancies, there's a man locked in Little Ease that has no idea who he is or why he's there, there's parts that are narrated by Mary, as in the Virgin Mary, and there's parts that take place in a whorehouse and a bunch of stuff about a witch... oh, and a Book of Unicorns that either has something to do with Mary, QoS or with Elizabeth's virginity.

Has anyone read this and does it actually start to make sense? Aside from the obvious weirdness, the writing's not bad and I'm enjoying it... for now. lol I'm also reading a few pages here and there of Cleo ;)

How is everyone? I miss you all!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I miss everyone, too. Hey, are we doing a group read. Should be for November/December, but I never saw a book posted.

As for what I am reading - a lot of non historical fiction actually. I have been on a mystery/thriller bent and just finished The Gargoyle, Truth: A Novel, and am now reading Still Missing.

Aly - I read everything Norah Lofts wrote when I was younger, but she wrote her books in the 60s and 70s, so they are quite old. She was actually one of the authors that got me into historical fiction in general, and Royalty fiction in particular. I often wonder what I would think of her books if I read them now, lol.

message 12: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Totten (katherine42) Lyn M wrote: "I miss everyone, too. Hey, are we doing a group read. Should be for November/December, but I never saw a book posted.

As for what I am reading - a lot of non historical fiction actually. I ha..."

I just read Still Missing. I usually don't like first person naratives, but the way this book is written made it quite interesting. I hope you like it as much as I did.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) So far so good.

message 14: by Marylou (last edited Nov 04, 2010 04:27PM) (new)

Marylou (loulu) | 164 comments I am still reading about the Tudors. Sometimes I wonder if I could write a history of the Tudors with all the nonfiction I have read. I too am getting tired of reading about Tudors but I always have to read what I purchased. At least I now what happened to our Tudors. They are reading other books.

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Roper (fig_and_thistle_books) | 4 comments I haven't even cracked open the Other Queen. Last week I finished Penman's mammoth "The Sunne in Splendour". Oh, yes, and I had a baby, a little boy named Atticus. Not much reading going on here at the moment!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Congratulations, Amanda. That is wonderful. Enjoy your time with Atticus, they grow up so fast!

message 17: by Marylou (new)

Marylou (loulu) | 164 comments Congratulations on the birth of Atticus!!
Didn't you enjoy the Sunne in Splendour! Now you will not have much time for reading.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Ya - I have The Sunne in Splendour on my next up list, but it has been there for a long time, lol. I read the first part a long time ago, so I really need to get back to it.

message 19: by Kate. (new)

Kate. | 173 comments Im here too. Im reading The Lady Elizabeth which im enjoying, i hope i can finish it this weekend. Im reading The Sunne in Splendour with Lyn in a few weeks. I started it too, read about 200pgs but it felt tedious. I hope it gets better and is worth it.
Jennifer, are you still up for it. I think we decided for the 15th November :)

message 20: by Kate. (new)

Kate. | 173 comments The next topic is on Dr.Dee.
When will the book selection and voting be up ??

message 21: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 854 comments The Sunne in Splendour was AMAZING!!!!!!! It was tedious at first, but it gets super exciting.

I kinda thought the Concubine was an older book just because some of the things that she talked about in it aren't really discussed anymore. Like the possibility of AB having a step mother.

message 22: by Darbus, Mod #2 (new)

Darbus | 93 comments I'm terribly sorry I haven't been posting. I'm watching the movie 'Elizabeth- the Golden Age,' and have been typing up a long rant on its historical inaccuracies, but I'm not quite finished yet. I have so many lovely books on my history shelf, begging me to read them, but I haven't been finding time, making me very disappointed in myself.

November is also a bad month because although I'm not doing NaNoWriMo, I'm trying to write a short story or piece of something every day, as roughly the same idea, but a slightly smaller time commitment. I really wish I could have done NaNoWriMo this year, though. For those who don't know, NaNoWriMo (site: http://www.nanowrimo.org/) is National Novel Writing Month, where people try to write a novel over the space of the month of November.

So basically I'm making silly excuses, but I hope they're okay ones. I will try to be back.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1968 comments Yeah, I believe The Concubine was first published in the mid-1970s.

I'm under a deluge of books, but none of them Tudor at the moment. Though Elizabeth and Leister is on the top of Mt. TBR (non-fiction side), taunting me.

message 24: by Marylou (new)

Marylou (loulu) | 164 comments I miss our writing. I am still reading Margaret and Mary Tudor, sisters of Henry viii. My husband gave me an Ipad for my birthday and I sm spending all my time trying to figure it out. i finally figured out my computer and now this. Any suggestions?

message 25: by Colleen, Mod #3 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 1106 comments I'm back (for now) I have been working a lot and going through some personal stuff so I haven't been on GR. Bad Mod, bad! I deserve a whipping for not at least making an attempt to keep up with this group. Sorry everyone!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) We are glad to see you back, Colleen. I have missed talking with you.

message 27: by Colleen, Mod #3 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 1106 comments I have missed talking with you and everyone else Lyn! It seems like this is about the time of the year everyone gets super busy and GR falls by the wayside. I have been spending all day trying to catch up on all my groups, one down (EC) and now on to THL :)

message 28: by annie (new)

annie (tellsnoemotion) | 147 comments i have missed being here!! life has been crazy but hopefully i'll be able to commenting more often. i've also gotten stuck in my tudor novel :( very disappointing!

message 29: by Colleen, Mod #3 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 1106 comments Missed you Annie!

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi everyone!
I miss all of you too!
I dont get on here as much as I use to, but I do try... I really miss everyone

message 31: by annie (new)

annie (tellsnoemotion) | 147 comments I missed you too, Colleen! I've missed everybody here. I kind of got out of a Tudor phase and read nothing but Harry Potter, lol. However, I just bought 4 new books so I can't wait to get back into it!

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Annie, what books did you buy?

message 33: by annie (new)

annie (tellsnoemotion) | 147 comments 'The Heretic Queen' - Michelle Moran
'The Confession of Katherine Howard' - Suzannah Dunn
'The Devil's Queen' - Jeanne Kalogridis
'The Lady in the Tower' - Alison Weir

message 34: by Colleen, Mod #3 (last edited Feb 10, 2011 08:28PM) (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 1106 comments Annie, could you give us the links in the "Recently Purchased/Borrowed/Swapped" thread?

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4...

message 35: by Karen (new)

Karen Harper | 1 comments Hi to all the Tudormaniacs. Author Karen Harper here. I adore the Tudors and have written plenty of Tudor-era books to prove it. I don't quite know where to land here in Goodreads Tudor land. Can anyone suggest the best "strain" for me to get into? I've been on other Goodreads chats, but finally found this one. From my early book THE LAST BOLEYN years ago to my THE IRISH PRINCESS (Tudor era) out this month, I've researched and loved writing about 12 Tudor novels. It's fun to see what everyone is reading. Best wishes!

message 36: by Marissa (new)

Marissa (smackmyskittles) | 12 comments Stacie wrote: "Darbus wrote: "I'm terribly sorry I haven't been posting. I'm watching the movie 'Elizabeth- the Golden Age,' and have been typing up a long rant on its historical inaccuracies, but I'm not quite ..."

Where is your rant!?! Because I was also enraged by how ridiculously inaccurate it was and I found many bloggers who felt the same. Even the decor was soooo off; the film doesn't capture the environment even (I'm willing to allow some artistic discretion so long as the flavor of the time, so to speak, is captured accurately)

message 37: by Marissa (new)

Marissa (smackmyskittles) | 12 comments p.s. I'm new to this group and I feel like I have sooo much to catch up on!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1968 comments Give me the rant! I love a good rant.

message 39: by Alex (new)

Alex | 43 comments Karen wrote: "Hi to all the Tudormaniacs. Author Karen Harper here. I adore the Tudors and have written plenty of Tudor-era books to prove it. I don't quite know where to land here in Goodreads Tudor land. C..."

Hi Karen, welcome! I have read several of your books and loved them.

message 40: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Hoffman | 5 comments hello - has anyone read any good non-fiction about Katherine Parr and her daughter Mary Seymour. I am trying to trace the Parr line and cannot find anything about Mary and her decendents [if there are any].

I would appreciate any input.
Thanks

message 41: by Marissa (new)

Marissa (smackmyskittles) | 12 comments I guess there is mention of Mary's fate in Catherine Parr: Henry VIII's Last Love. This author as well as the historian Antonia Fraser believe Mary Seymour died young. I know that Mary Seymour went to live with Catherine Willoughby after the death of her parents so perhaps there is something about her in My Lady Suffolk, a portrait of Catherine Willoughby, duchess of Suffolk.

I think there is very little evidence to the many claims about what happened to her but I've read a few different accounts, one of which says that she eventually moved to live with an Irish protestant family named the Harts. There are some extant letters that refer to an adopted daughter to John de Vere, called Mary de Vere, who contemporaries suggested was actually Mary Seymour. Some authors have suggested that she lived old enough to marry a member of the Danish court under Queen Anne (the wife of James Stuart (VI of Scotland and I of England). Some of the theories are summarized here with citations:

http://www.suite101.com/content/mary-...

Good luck!

message 42: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Hoffman | 5 comments thanks so much Marissa!

message 43: by Darbus, Mod #2 (last edited Feb 24, 2011 03:46PM) (new)

Darbus | 93 comments I've posted my rant/list of snarky questions over in the Elizabeth: The Golden Age thread. Hope you enjoy.

message 44: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 34 comments Lots of lurking occurring over here, but no posting, sorry... I have an 18 month old and I'm pregnant with the next one, so no time for reading (it's horrible, but at least I have an excuse)... can I count children's books as reading?? LOL... I hope that I can start reading again soon, even just one book would make me happy :) glad to see everyone, and I'll try to not be such a stranger!
Brittany

message 45: by Lee (new)

Lee (kiwifirst) Hi everyone, new here and just starting to get into the whole Tudor era.
I have just finished the Sansom Shardlake series which I really enjoyed. I have not read any 'murder mystery' style for a long time as I have been absorbing myself in other genres, what brought me back was the historical fiction side of it.
So I am kind of looking for some recommendations, I liked Unquiet bones by Melvin Starr, but not sure I want to follow it up with the rest of the series straight away, Anyway, I know this is kind of subjective, but looking for some tips.