The Evergreen State College discussion

Favorite Class Reading?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zach (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:32PM) (new)

Zach Gore | 1 comments I'm wondering what everybody's favorite assigned book from Evergreen was? It could be most impactful, important, or just fun to read...

I think mine was probably '1984.' I'd read it before, but when I did so again for Larry Mosqueda's class, "Power in American Society," I got so much more out of the book. Equally in personal reflection, seminar, and smaller group discussions, I found ways of applying it's lessons to my life. So, I guess, impactful, important, and interesting.

I'd love to hear about other people's favorites.

message 2: by Gea (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:32PM) (new)

Gea | 4 comments Mod
Allen Olson's class: How People Learn. I got the most good books out of this class than any of the others...Deschooling Scoeity (Illich), Caring (Noddings), Education and Experience (Dewey). Granted, I am into these because I am into research on learning and education vs. schooling - and social systems.

message 3: by puck (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:41PM) (new)

puck | 1 comments my first program was performing gender, and we read my gender workbook, which i had always wanted to read. kate bornstein is still one of my favorite authors.

message 4: by Brimate (new)

Brimate | 2 comments The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin, the first book I read in my first Evergreen program, which was Alternatives to Capitalist Globalization.

I also enjoyed some books I read for a contract on anarcha-feminism.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh my gosh...
Topophilia by Yifu Tuan
The Earth's Blanket by Nancy Turner
A Language Older than Words by Jensen
The Systems View of the World by Laszlo
Spell of the Sensuous

...some profs really know how to assign good readings.

message 6: by P_Racemosa (new)

P_Racemosa (Tzu-Jan) | 3 comments So many..Plants of the pacific native northwest sticks out...

message 7: by Alissa (new)

Alissa (yipiyuk) I read Your Inner Fish in Biology and Ecology of Fishes and it is awesome. It talks about how fishes became land animals and the importance of things like Jaws and hip bones, and in the mean time draws connections between early anatomy and how it became our own. Really interesting stuff written in an accessible way, I highly recommend it.