The Sword and Laser discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > What Else Are You Reading - November 2010 Edition

Comments Showing 1-50 of 84 (84 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2898 comments New month, new discussion.

I just finished Ms. Hempel Chronicles at lunch today, and am reading The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains, which is SO good (same author who wrote the "Has Google Made Us Stupid" article). Over the weekend I finished Super Sad True Love Story, which was a sweet dystopian love story. I loved it!

Next I'm going to focus on the National Book Award finalists, but I'm mad that some of them aren't even available yet. That should be against the rules!

message 2: by Philip (new)

Philip (heard03) | 383 comments Slowly plodding through The Sword in the Stone. Pumped up about starting a re-read of The Hobbit while following along with The Tolkien Professor podcast (http://deimos3.apple.com/WebObjects/C...) tomorrow.

message 3: by Tashfeen (new)

Tashfeen (tbhimdi) | 28 comments I'm still on Peter F. Hamilton's Reality Dysfunction, very good Laser, but there are huge chunks of... Amish. I mean, it's the future and everybody is in space, I don't care about farming or an old Victorian age planet with horse and buggies!

message 4: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments I'm reading Saturn's Children by Charles Stross. It seems like old-fashioned science fiction and I'm enjoying it alot.

I'm also starting on Blackout by Connie Willis. I've had it for a while, but I held off on reading it because I heard that it and All Clear were supposed to be one novel, but the publisher broke it into two volumes. I got the second book a couple of weeks ago, so it's time to start on them.

In audio, I'm listening to Catching Fire, the second book of the Hunger Games trilogy. I had intended to read it, but I realized I'd never get to it with all the other print books I have to read.

message 6: by Scott (new)

Scott B Sawler (scottsawler) | 3 comments I've actually moved away from a Sword or Laser book with Chuck Hogan's Prince of Thieves. (I've my eye on a couple more S&L books on my 'to read' list once I finish this...).

Scott

message 7: by alschriver (new)

alschriver I have just completed Interface by Neal Stephenson and just before that the Void series by Peter F. Hamilton. I have been looking around, however, for a non fantasy followup book that is relative recent that is a one off and am having kind of a hard time. Most books I have come up with that have good recommendations all seem to be the start a series of some sort. Am I missing something or are there no one off books being written these days in the science fiction area?

message 8: by Skip (last edited Nov 03, 2010 10:03AM) (new)

Skip | 517 comments I got and read Side Jobs: Stories From the Dresden Files, I had already read most of the previously published short stories, but the new novella is around 80 pages and worth it if you are a completist. I'm now onto the Jordan-sized Towers of Midnight, it is very exciting to see a series I've been reading since 1992 get to its penultimate book.

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy Pilkington | 104 comments Since it's NaNoWriMo and my word count will suffer if I read something new and awesome that distracts me, I'm sticking to non-fiction for the most part this month. My main project is Autobiography of Mark Twain, Vol. 1 and to break it up, I'm also reading a few of the shorter non-fiction that's been piling up in my To-Read folder: Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers, Einstein's Refrigerator and Other Stories from Flip Side Of and a few writing books are on the docket.

For the odd time I feel like fiction, I'm still slowly working my way through Infinite Jest and Pillars of the Earth (which I don't hate, but find a bit of a slog and so it's not my #1 reading priority anymore.)

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) Amy wrote: "Since it's NaNoWriMo and my word count will suffer if I read something new and awesome that distracts me, I'm sticking to non-fiction for the most part this month. My main project is [book:Autobiog..."

Good luck with NaNoWrimo. Let us know how you get on. Keep writing.

message 11: by Curt (new)

Curt Taylor (meegeek) | 107 comments Just finished American Assassin and now back to A Clash of Kings. Great book so far, but I keep wondering when Martin will ever stop introducing new characters. I am guessing not, but that is ok, love a story told from so many different views.

message 12: by Joe (new)

Joe Deisler | 51 comments Not as much reading occurred on the honeymoon as I had anticipated, but I finished Noise a week or so after I got back. I enjoyed it a lot and fit nicely into my obsession with end of the world type books. And, now I just finished Role Models, which was quite entertaining as long as you like John Waters. As for what's next....I'm not exactly sure...

message 13: by Don (new)

Don McDonald (dmmacs) | 114 comments Just started reading Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions.

Still trying to make progress through The Reluctant Mage, haven't been able to get motivated to read it.

message 14: by Leighann (new)

Leighann (zhelenstilo) I'm slowing down my reading for NaNoWriMo, but I still have a bunch of books I want to get through. I'm about a third of the way through The Well of Ascension at the moment, and enjoying every moment of it. (Really not the best choice of a book to start at the beginning of November when I'm supposed to be focusing on my own writing, but oh well...)

After that, I have nine other books due back at the library before the end of the month. Still trying to figure out how to work that and keep up my word count.

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) I am reading Philippa Ballantine Geist

message 17: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments Joe wrote: "Not as much reading occurred on the honeymoon as I had anticipated..."

I would have never expected that. :)

I finished listening to Catching Fire (Hunger Games, #2) and went straight on to Mockingjay (Hunger Games, #3). I've only got a couple of hours left, so I'll listen to either Side Jobs: Stories From the Dresden Files or Revolution.

message 18: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6393 comments I'm all over the place. See my profile.

message 19: by Kris (new)

Kris (kvolk) Reading Ian Banks New book, Glen Cook's new Garrett Files, and some history books as well.

message 20: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4211 comments I finished up The Once and Future King and have moved onto Towers of Midnight from Audible. Once my friend returns my hardback copy, I'll probably read it both places.

On the Kindle, I'm reading The Mezzanine. It's kind of a weird book, and I'm only reading it in small chunks (mostly while getting iced down at physical therapy). It reminds me a bit of a David Foster Wallace book.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2898 comments terpkristin wrote: "On the Kindle, I'm reading The Mezzanine. It's kind of a weird book, and I'm only reading it in small chunks (mostly while getting iced down at physical therapy). It reminds me a bit of a David Foster Wallace book. "

That's the one that takes place on an escalator ride, right? That Baker. :)

message 22: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4211 comments Jenny wrote: "That's the one that takes place on an escalator ride, right?"

That's the one. It's good, but oh so random.

message 23: by Tamahome (last edited Nov 07, 2010 06:45AM) (new)

Tamahome | 6393 comments How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe took some inspiration from that. I've heard an interview on agony column or functional nerds.

message 24: by Feargal (new)

Feargal | 12 comments Just finished the third book of the Ender series and I really regret reading it. I found it to be one of those books that spoils the original in retrospect. Ender's Game was a great read and the sequel wasn't bad either but Xenocide was, for me, rubbish.

message 25: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (last edited Nov 08, 2010 09:24AM) (new)

Jlawrence | 964 comments Mod
Reading the James Tiptree (aka Alice Sheldon) collection of sf short stories Her Smoke Rose Up Forever - some really fantastic stuff in there. Then I'll be reading the biography of that author - James Tiptree, Jr.: The Double Life of Alice B. Sheldon.

Also reading The Making of Star Wars: The Definitive Story Behind the Original Film in spurts - it relates some fascinating stuff that distracts me from my ire against Lucas for prequels.

message 26: by Markt5660 (new)

Markt5660 | 39 comments still on a non-fiction kick; reading Cochrane: The Real Master And Commander.

message 27: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimherdt) | 71 comments Medium Raw by Anthony Bourdain. The content is really inside baseball, but very enjoyable. Bourdain's honest and frank observations are a refreshing demonstration of common sense when it comes to food, chefs, food service workers, and the industry.

Regards, Jim

message 28: by Eric (new)

Eric Morgan (morgchop) | 7 comments Halting State by Charles Stross. A near future detective story about a theft in a massively multiplayer online game that turns into a spy thriller. Very entertaining and quite interesting so far...

message 29: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments I just finished Saturn's Children by Charles Stross and am reading Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey. I finished listening to Mockingjay (Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins and am almost done listening to Side Jobs: Stories From the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. This is the first time I've listened to a Dresden Files book rather than reading it.

message 30: by Trent (new)

Trent (ezelek) Just finished reading Towers of Midnight, and trying to get through Perdido Street Station, but I'm finding the language incredibly grating.

message 31: by Richard (new)

Richard Guion (giantsizegeek) | 158 comments Just started reading The Half-Made World and the first few chapters are really enjoyable steampunk. Before that, I took a break from genre as well for some quick reads: The Art of Racing in the Rain and How to Be Good.

message 32: by Joe (new)

Joe Deisler | 51 comments I just started Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void, and also jumped back into White Noise and am trying to finally finish it.

message 33: by Taueret (new)

Taueret | 58 comments I was just going to post to say 'thanks'- I get more tbr suggestions from this thread every month than anywhere else! Then i realised that I could share too:
I just started listening to "Currency" book 7/8 of the Baroque Cycle on Audible. Just wonderful. i will be sad when its over.

Readingwise I just finished 'the moonstone' via Dailylit. Not sure what to choose next.

message 34: by Larry (new)

Larry Zieminski | 11 comments I've already read the non-fiction books Renegade: The Making of a President and In the Land of White Death: An Epic Story of Survival in the Siberian Arctic (both were great, especially In the Land of White Death). I've also read Stephen King's The Regulators and James Patterson's Alex Cross's Trial.

Now I'm reading Stephen King's The Dead Zone.

message 35: by Adrian (new)

Adrian | 7 comments I'm planning on reading all the Dune books in chronological order, I'm almost finished with the Butlerian Jihad

message 36: by Mathew (new)

Mathew Reverman (reverman) | 28 comments Just finished the audio read of The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. Really enjoyed it. It's the start of a multi-book series. It does take a couple chapters to understand the rules of the world he created since you do get sort of dumped in but once your locked in it has a nice epic feel. Only complaint I have is the plot line with the female character I felt wasn't very good. None of the people in that plot line were likable. I will say a nice touch in the audio book is both voice actors were great. The chapters dealing with the female characters plot line were read by the female reader.

message 37: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments I finished listening to Side Jobs: Stories From the Dresden Files and really liked it. A word of warning: DO NOT READ THIS BOOK IF YOU HAVEN'T READ CHANGES. Most of the stories take place between various Dresden files novels and don't have much to do with the content of the novels, but the last story completely spoils Changes.

I started listening to Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor. I don't know if it's a sword or a laser. They have computers and aliens, but there's also magic or something that seems like it. It reminds me a lot of one of my favorite novels, Wild Seed by Octavia Butler.

In print, I finished Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey. It didn't turn out to be the kind of novel I expected it to be. I thought it was about a genetically enhanced girl turning into a superhero, but it was about a genetically enhanced girl becoming a boxer.

Next up is Slaughterhouse-Five, a modern classic that I have somehow missed reading.

message 38: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (masupert) | 215 comments After finishing up a few short stories and the The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin I am now working on Brood of the Witch-Queen which I saw as a recommended reading somewhere. Normally it isn't my style, or at least I thought but the whole Egyptian black magic thing taking place in the early 20th century totally caught me.

message 39: by John (new)

John | 43 comments Just finished The Princess Bride and the un-sword&lasery The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag. Both great fun. I'm just finished with Fool Moon. Having a great time with that one as well. Dresden sure goes through hell. Now I'm looking for a good high flying laser adventure.

message 40: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments John wrote: "Just finished The Princess Bride and the un-sword&lasery The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag. Both great fun. I'm just finished with Fool Moon. Having ..."

I love the Flavia de Luce books.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2898 comments I'm reading Ship Breaker by our old pal Pablo Bacigalupi. It is funny because just like in Windup Girl, the story really gets going around page 100.

I also have Solar by Ian McEwan to slog through. I'm not feeling depressed right now, so that will help.

message 42: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (halfadd3r) Thank You Sandi for the warning about

Side Jobs: Stories From the Dresden Files! I was just about to start it.

message 43: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments Patrick wrote: "Thank You Sandi for the warning about

Side Jobs: Stories From the Dresden Files! I was just about to start it."

You're welcome. The whole last story is a spoiler. If you can limit yourself to all but that last one, you'll be fine. I know I wouldn't have that much willpower.

For the record, don't read the blurb for the next Dresden Files novel either. The very first sentence tells you what happens at the end of Changes.

message 44: by Barry (new)

Barry Morris (bigshotprof) While raking through the sci-fi section of iBooks to try reading on an iPad, I came across this book called The Inheritors written by Ford Madox Ford and Joseph Conrad. I'm not sure why it's in Sci-Fi. Has anyone here ever read it?

message 45: by Luis (new)

Luis L (monkeyluis) | 24 comments I finished reading The Weight of Blood (The Half-Orcs, #1) by David Dalglish Now I'm reading Flaming Dove by Daniel Arenson . Both very good books.

message 46: by Philip (new)

Philip (heard03) | 383 comments Adrian wrote: "I'm planning on reading all the Dune books in chronological order, I'm almost finished with the Butlerian Jihad"

That's been on my to-do list for a while. I really enjoyed the 3 "House" prequels, my favorite of the B Herbert/KJ Anderson collaborations.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading The Drawing of the Three right now, and liking the series even though it's been eons since I've read a King. Then next up is Kushiel's Dart.

message 48: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan | 2 comments I'm plowing through Stephen Baxter's "Flood" series. I highly recommend for those who were turned off by the rapid destruction of the planet in 2012.

message 49: by Andre (new)

Andre (andreb) | 34 comments Finally bringing myself to start A Game of Thrones. So far I'm loving it. The density of the house structure and families reminds me a bit of Dune, another one of my favorites.

message 50: by Eric (new)

Eric Gardner | 113 comments Just read Dragons of the Hourglass Mage part of the Lost Chronicles which fill in the holes in the original Dragonlance story. Wasn't in love with Raistlin's lack of confidence in this one but it was still interesting to find out where he was and what he was doing for some of the poorly explained events in the original sets of books.

« previous 1