Outlander Series discussion

Scottish Fun! > Quote Discussions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 126 (126 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 28, 2010 04:41PM) (new)

One of the things that I love about this series is that so much happens, good and bad, which leads to great discussions. I thought it would be nice to have a section of quotes, provided by anyone, which we could then discuss if you wish. On that note, I will out up the first quote and we can see where this will go.

--------------

"I don't want to live with you, if you came back for duty," she said. She looked at me then, her eyes soft with pain. "I've seen a marriage made from obligation - and I've seen one made for love. If I hadn't -" She stopped and swallowed, then went on, looking at Roger. "If I hadn't seen both, I could have lived with obligation. But I have seen both - and I won't."

Drums of Autumn

message 2: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 564 comments Can you add who said this to whom and from which book? Thanks.

message 3: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 330 comments That is from DOA, rather at the end, when Roger comes back from the Indians with a detour to the stone circle. And it is Bree to Roger after making the vow to accept Jemmy (then not yet named) as his son.

message 4: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 330 comments Beth wrote: "One of the things that I love about this series is that so much happens, good and bad, which leads to great discussions. I thought it would be nice to have a section of quotes, provided by anyone, ..."

I remember this quote very well. Roger had followed Brianna into the past, had found her quite quickly in NC, they had started their reunion with a quarrel, had kept sense and decided to be handfast only to end their wedding night with another to quarrel to be separated again. The length of this separation is due to Jamie's and Ian's actions instead of talking and listening - MEN! Then Roger finally decides against all odds to return to Bree and has to make this blood vow, ends up fighting with Jamie and ..... Bree is talking about obligation and duty - instead of hugging him! I liked best the ending of this scene, though: Claire's astonished "she is talking about my marriages!"

message 5: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments That's what I loved about the scene too! It was that she was talking about Claire and Frank and then about how Claire was with Jamie. I loved how she says that she never realized that something was missing in Claire's relationship with Frank until she saw the depth of love Claire and Jamie had for each other.

It was actually one of the times that I understood Bree. She wanted what she saw between Her Mom and Da. I thought she worded it beautifully.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I also loved it when Claire realized that Bree was talking about her two marriages. When I was a child I wanted the forever love that Jamie and Claire had, even though I hadn't heard of those characters then. Although not forced into marriage, my marriage was one of convenience for me, to leave my parents home. It eventually grew to love but I also wonder how many people today have that one special type of love. My guess would be not many.

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I'm just re-reading the series and have come across this one:

"Oh, Claire, ye do break my heart wi' loving you".

Dragonfly in Amber, when Jamie and Claire are in France in bed together.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

That quote gets to me every time.

message 9: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 330 comments Wendy wrote: "That's what I loved about the scene too! It was that she was talking about Claire and Frank and then about how Claire was with Jamie. I loved how she says that she never realized that something w..."

Exactly, that's what I thought/felt when reading this - you just put in better words then me!

message 10: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 330 comments ...than me were also better English - sorry!

message 11: by Pinda (new)

Pinda | 144 comments Wendy wrote: "That's what I loved about the scene too! It was that she was talking about Claire and Frank and then about how Claire was with Jamie. I loved how she says that she never realized that something w..."

That was a great and telling quote. It really showed a different connection between mother and daughter.

message 12: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments "I talk to you as I talk to my own soul," he said, turning me to face him. He reached up and cupped my cheek, fingers light on my temple. "And Sassenach," he whispered, "Your face is my heart."

Jamie To Claire - Dragonfly in Amber

message 13: by Latinlandish (new)

Latinlandish | 376 comments Oh , I love this discussion! I will post a couple that I like.
First , this one has nothing to do with love. This is when in DOA,when J&C brought the body of the slave that tried do abort the fetus and died. In town they met this guard that used to be part of the staff at Ardsmuir prison. Talking w/ Claire about war Jamie said:

"Ye'll maybe know the sort of man is decent enough on his own, but get him wi' others like him, and they might as well be wolves?" (...) There's no lack of such man in any army; that's why armies work - men will do terrible things in a mob, that they wouldna dream of on their own."

Oh so true!!

message 14: by Latinlandish (new)

Latinlandish | 376 comments In DOA, Claire is quoting a quote. Claire to Jamie:

""Whiter thou goest,I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God. Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried' " Be it Scottish hill or a southern forest."

message 15: by Latinlandish (new)

Latinlandish | 376 comments Sorry for being out of order . Before Claire quoted the quote on the post above, that's what Jamie said to her:

"Your face is my heart, Sassenach, He said softy," and love of you is my soul" (...)
"I would lay the world at your feet, Claire- and I have nothing to give to ye!"

message 16: by Wan (last edited Nov 01, 2010 06:08AM) (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 564 comments Wendy wrote: ""I talk to you as I talk to my own soul," he said, turning me to face him. He reached up and cupped my cheek, fingers light on my temple. "And Sassenach," he whispered, "Your face is my heart."

..."

LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! The connection's just unbelievable!!! They're true soul-mates.

message 17: by Latinlandish (new)

Latinlandish | 376 comments If men knew how we women go soft when we hear love words like that, they would use them much more often!!

message 18: by Pinda (new)

Pinda | 144 comments Latinlandish wrote: "In DOA, Claire is quoting a quote. Claire to Jamie:

""Whiter thou goest,I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God. Where thou diest, will I..."

When was that one. I love it! I would have thought I would remember it.

message 19: by Latinlandish (new)

Latinlandish | 376 comments Remember when they are Jocasta's dinner, and Jamie knows that his aunt is thinking about offering him to take care of the plantation. Late at night they go out on a little boat. They have a little bit of an argument. He says to her those words about "I have nothing to give ye"! and that's when she says that quote to him. This was just before they found the body of the slave that tried to have an abortion. It was dark and they were visiting the mill, which during the day had been the stage of an accident.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

"Your knowledge of the future is a tool, given to you as a shipwrecked castaway might find himself in possession of a knife or a fishing line. It is not immoral to use it, so long as you do so in accordance with the dictates of God's law, to the best of your ability."

He paused, drew a deep breath, and blew it out in an explosive sigh that ruffled his silky mustache. He smiled.

"And that, ma chere madame, is all I can tell you - no more than I can tell any troubled soul who comes to me for advice: put your trust in God, and pray for guidance."

He shoved the fresh pastry toward me.

"But whatever you are to do, you will require strength for it. So take one last bit of advice: when in doubt, eat."

Outlander page 714

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I love this quote. Father Anselm was one of my favorite supporting characters.

message 22: by Pinda (new)

Pinda | 144 comments Beth wrote: "I love this quote. Father Anselm was one of my favorite supporting characters."

I love that quote too. She actually requoted (don't think that is a word) it in Drums of Autumn.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

"I do not wish to . . . that is . . . I do not mean to imply . . ." He looked up suddenly and smiled, with a helpless gesture. "I dinna want to insult you by sounding as though I think you've a vast experience of men, is all. But is would be foolish to pretend that ye don't know more than I do about such matters. What I meant to ask is, is this . . . usual? What is is between us, when I touch you, when you . . . lie with me? Is it always so between a man and a woman?"

In spite of his difficulties, I knew exactly what he meant. His gaze was direct, holding my eyes as he waited my anser. I wanted to look away, but couldn't.

"There's often something like it," I said, and had to stop and clear my throat. "But no. No, it isn't -- usual. I have no idea why but no. This is . . . different." Page 286 - Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

message 24: by Latinlandish (new)

Latinlandish | 376 comments Oh, this is why we all got so caught up with Outlander.
This quote describes the first feeling that this person is your real love, that you love that person beyond anything that you have known so far in your life.
Who hasn't gone through that first moment of awareness of your love, and isn't that the sweetest feeling, Yes , I love this person. OMG, this is it!

DG describes it so well.

message 25: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments Oh my god, I love that quote. Every time I read it I can feel my heart quicken and I just want to get a sappy smile on my face.

Jamie is so amazing. I wish he were real so I could make him mine. Haha.

message 26: by Latinlandish (new)

Latinlandish | 376 comments Oh me too!!

message 27: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 564 comments Ditto.

message 28: by Pinda (new)

Pinda | 144 comments Get in line ladies;) I think if all us Jamie lovers lined up elbow to elbow we would circle the globe. MMmmmph maybe twice.

message 29: by Latinlandish (new)

Latinlandish | 376 comments This is another quote that I love. From Drums, when Claire is still in doubt about staying in River Run (and slavery disgusted her ) or go to the mountains. I just love how in this paragraph we can get into Claire's mind so clearly.

"Oh, River Run was a garden of earthy delight, all right... but I called a black man friend, and left my daughter in his care.
Thinking of Joe Abernathy, and Brianna, gave me a strange sense of dislocated double vision, of existing in two places at once. I could see their faces in my mind, hear their voices in my inner ear. And yet reality was the man beside me, kilt swinging with his stride, head bent in anxious thought.
And that was my temptation: Jamie. Not the inconsequentials of soft beds or gracious rooms. , silk gowns or social deference. Jamie."

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, how beautiful. I forgot that one. I just love her descriptions of peoples actions, especially Jamie.

message 31: by Latinlandish (new)

Latinlandish | 376 comments I know, that was just beautiful. It seems like a beautiful piece to be read aloud. Like poetry.

message 32: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra (mamacass79) | 26 comments "I will find you," he whispered in my ear. "I promise. If I must endure two hundred years of purgatory, two hundred years of without you-then that is my punishment, which I have earned for my crimes. For I have lied, and killed, and stolen; betrayed and broken trust. But there is the one thing that shall lie in the balance. When I shall stand before God, I shall have one thing to say, to weigh against the rest... Lord, ye gave me a rare woman, and God! I loved her well."
(Dragonfly in Amber)

I want someone to love me like that!

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay, now my tears are misting up. What a fabulous quote and don't we all want someone to feel that way about us.

message 34: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I LOVE that quote!!!

message 35: by Pinda (new)

Pinda | 144 comments That was the BEST! God he is perfect isn't he.

message 36: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 564 comments Yes, he is.

message 37: by Latinlandish (new)

Latinlandish | 376 comments Oh gosh, he can be stinky, but he knows how to love a woman. LOL

message 38: by Pinda (new)

Pinda | 144 comments See, we aren't asking for perfection;)

message 39: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 564 comments E-X-A-C-T-L-Y!!!

message 40: by Latinlandish (new)

Latinlandish | 376 comments Men of the world, listen to this, we are not looking for perfection, we just want you to be able to express your love as Jamie did...

Better get a chair and sit down to wait...
It might take a long time!

message 41: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra (mamacass79) | 26 comments "Aye, well, he'll be wed a long time," he said callously. "Do him no harm to keep his breeches on for one night. And they do say that abstinence makes the heart grow firmer, no?"
"Absence," I said, dodging the spoon for a moment. "AND fonder. If anything's growing firmer from abstinence, it wouldn't be his heart."
(Voyager)

message 42: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) All of the quotes from Outlander got me to googling Outlander quotes. I don't know if anyone has seen this website before but I found it helpful to remind me of all the Jamie goodness in the series.

http://www.lallybroch.com/LOL/jamieou...

message 43: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Hanna-Tarantino (ctara) | 309 comments Cassandra wrote: ""Aye, well, he'll be wed a long time," he said callously. "Do him no harm to keep his breeches on for one night. And they do say that abstinence makes the heart grow firmer, no?"
"Absence," I said,..."

I love the humor in Diana's writing!It makes her storylines much more robust compared to other authors

message 44: by Latinlandish (new)

Latinlandish | 376 comments You are so right . The humor is what makes her books different and so enjoyable.

message 45: by Meme (new)

Meme T | 4 comments Cassandra wrote: ""I will find you," he whispered in my ear. "I promise. If I must endure two hundred years of purgatory, two hundred years of without you-then that is my punishment, which I have earned for my crime..."

At the beach this summer, my girlfriends couldn't understand why I was so wrapped up in my book. I read this quote to them and they said, "Oh...is there more???" Only a woman writer could have written such perfect man:)

message 46: by Sharonh (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments In Voyager when Claire has just met Mr. Willoughby

"Brandy seems to be your downfall" I observed. "I'm sorry I haven't anything to give you for your head; I don't have any medications with me at the moment".
"Oh not worry", he assured me. "I having healthy balls". "How nice for you" I said..trying to decide whether he was gearing up for another attempt at my feet or merely still too drunk to distinguish basic anatomy".

I crack up every time I read this passage!

message 47: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 34 comments Two of my favorite quotes..both from "The Fiery Cross" and both said from Jamie to Claire.

"To see the years touch ye gives my joy, Sassenach," he whispered, -"for it means that ye live."
"When the day shall come, that we do part," he said softly, and turned to look at me, "if my last words are not 'I love you'--- ye'll ken it was because I didna have time."

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay, now I am getting teary. Those quotes always seem to do that to me. So moving and tender.

message 49: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 39 comments You have got to hand it to Diana - sometimes (ok...truth be told - often )I have to remind myself that all these beautiful sentiments, wisdom and witt all pour out of this amazing womans head. No wonder it takes her so long to write a book. She would have to do a lot of soul searching and drawing on her and other peoples life experiences wouldn't she. Ok that's getting a bit too deep, I think I should just relax and enjoy the Outlander ride eh!

message 50: by Latinlandish (new)

Latinlandish | 376 comments These are beautiful. These quotes are the reason we love Jamie so much, when he says that, Claire can forgive him everything.

« previous 1 3