Space Opera Fans discussion

Self-Promotion > Agents of ISIS, a new space opera series

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Goldin (stephengoldin) | 114 comments Long-time space opera buffs may recall a series I wrote in the 1970s-80s called "The Family d'Alembert Series." That series was based on a novella called "Imperial Stars" by E.E. Smith; I expanded the novella to book-length and wrote 9 more books in the series.

Well, that series is long out of print. Worse yet, it's thoroughly outdated. But I had put a lot of effort into it, and I didn't want it to disappear into the maw of oblivion.

So what I did was write an entirely new first book called Tsar Wars: Agents of ISIS, Book 1. I threw out everything Smith had created and started from scratch. New universe, new characters, new story. Then I took the remaining 9 books and reimagined/redesigned/rewrote them to be consistent with the new first book.

The result is the Agents of ISIS decalogy. IMHO it's even better than the original, though I'm willing to let other people be the judge of that. I hope you'll give them a try and see. (And if you never read the first series, I think you're in for a lot of fun.)

They're available in both paperback and ebook formats. You can get them through GoodReads, of course, though if you go through my online bookstore, Parsina Press, you can get coupons for several dollars off the list price of each title.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Goldin (stephengoldin) | 114 comments For a limited time only, Tsar Wars (Book 1 of the Agents of ISIS series) is now free in its ebook edition. If you enjoy space opera adventure, this is the perfect chance to sample the first great space opera dacalogy of the twenty-first century and find out what it's all about.

I've also taken this opportunity to change the covers on the ebook editions. I think the new ones are way cooler than the last set.

More exciting news coming up in the next few weeks. Stay tuned.

message 3: by Joe (last edited Dec 12, 2010 02:01PM) (new)

Joe Chiappetta (joeychips) Thanks for sharing this Stephen. I will go and get it right now! Space Opera--gotta love it. Wait, I just checked your link and I can't figure out how to get a free ebook that I can read on Kindle. Is this available? Wait again--I figured it out. It's through your Smashwords page. Thanks.

message 4: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Goldin (stephengoldin) | 114 comments Joe wrote: "Thanks for sharing this Stephen. I will go and get it right now! Space Opera--gotta love it. Wait, I just checked your link and I can't figure out how to get a free ebook that I can read on Kindle...."

I'm glad you worked it out. Enjoy!

message 5: by Stephen (last edited Feb 18, 2011 07:34PM) (new)

Stephen Goldin (stephengoldin) | 114 comments Tsar Wars (Agents of ISIS,#1) by Stephen Goldin Book 1 of my Agents of ISIS space opera decalogy, is currently being featured on Holly Hooks's Bargain eBooks blog. The blog includes a rave review from a Smashwords reader (and no, I didn't write it myself).

For a limited time only, Tsar Wars is available as a free ebook download in multiple ebook formats from Smashwords to introduce readers to the series. Because Kindle Digital Publishing doesn't have the "free" option, you have to pay $.99 if you want to buy the Kindle version from Amazon--but it's still well worth the price. It's an inexpensive way to learn about this exciting new series of science fiction adventure books.

(The books are also available in paperback format from Parsina Press if you don't want to read them electronically. There's a $2.00-off coupon if you buy the books through this site.)

message 6: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Goldin (stephengoldin) | 114 comments The ebook editions of the Agents of ISIS books have now been permanently reduced in price by $2.00 apiece (except for Book #1, Tsar Wars, which is already at a special promotional price). The new lower prices are currently in place at Smashwords; it may take anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of weeks for the lower prices to take effect at other retailers. Now is a great time to catch up on the excitement of this space opera series.

Prices of the paperback editions will remain the same.

message 7: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Goldin (stephengoldin) | 114 comments I've started a new program at my Parsina Press online bookstore called the ROGO Program. The acronym ROGO stands for Review One, Get One. The basic idea is simple: Read one of my books. Write a review of it. Post that review on at least 3 book-related sites. Let me know where the review appears. I'll give you a coupon for a free ebook of your choice from my list of participating titles. Repeat as necessary until you've read all of my books you can stand.

Complete details are on the ROGO Program page of my Parsina Press site. Have fun, and pleasant reading!

message 8: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (RHopkins) | 4 comments Stephen, I like the sound of your Tsar Wars book and will plan on reading it soon. Hopefully the kindle edition stays at $0.99. I also like the ROGO promotion going and plan to take advantage of it if I thoroughly enjoy the first book. My best guess will be I can start it in about 1-2 weeks.

message 9: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Goldin (stephengoldin) | 114 comments The $0.99 price will be in effect through the end of May; after that, I expect it to rise. The ROGO promotion will probably continue for some time to come.

For further incentive, please check out the nice review Tsar Wars received on Amazon recently.

message 10: by Ryan (last edited May 25, 2011 06:56PM) (new)

Ryan (RHopkins) | 4 comments Alright, I'll get it now and get around to it asap. Might start it to see if it's worth setting my other book down for the moment.

Edit: First chapter read, little tough to get into as it is kind of confusing out of the gate but interesting nonetheless. Going to press on and see how it goes.

message 11: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (RHopkins) | 4 comments Question for you Stephen if you don't mind, roughly how far into the future does this series take place as you wrote it? I'm just curious because I didn't see anything hinting at a timeline.

message 12: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Goldin (stephengoldin) | 114 comments I've left it deliberately vague, but the action begins in Imperial Year 463--ie, 463 years after the founding of the Empire, which is probably a couple hundred years from now. (Giving time for stardrive to be invented and Mankind to start expanding to other solar systems.)

message 13: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (RHopkins) | 4 comments Just finished Tsar Wars, review can be found here.

message 14: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Goldin (stephengoldin) | 114 comments I've posted an essay explaining the Family d'Alembert series vs. the Agents of ISIS series at The Ingesterie.

Also, as a holiday present to space opera fans, all the ebooks in my Agents of ISIS series are on sale during December. Visit here for more details.

message 15: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Goldin (stephengoldin) | 114 comments Tsar Wars: Agents of ISIS, Book 1

Get the book from Smashwords (all ebook formats): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/...
Use coupon code JJ62M at purchase to get it for free.
Coupon code good through the end of August, 2014.

message 16: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 6 comments Thanks, Stephen. Looking forward to reading it.

message 17: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Goldin (stephengoldin) | 114 comments You're very welcome, Lynne. I hope you have a lot of fun with it.