Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > User Name

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) What is the benefit of having a user name if it isn't used? Or am I totally mistaken?

I decided to change my name to avoid confusion between the two Jan's in the group. But when I changed the user name, I was still posting as "Jan". To fix the problem, I changed the first name field to my complete name.

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Er...

I got confused when Misha became Michelle and Gretchen became Smetchie. Then I figured it out.

That is all.

message 3: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) RandomAnthony wrote: "Er...

I got confused when Misha became Michelle and Gretchen became Smetchie. Then I figured it out.

That is all."

I even looked at your profile to see if I could figure out how you set up your name. If I have it figured out correctly, you have 'RandomAnthony' as your first name. N'est pas?

The logic is kind of bass-ackwards if you ask me. You'd think we'd post with our user name, and our account name could be displayed or private by user preference (like our email addresses).

It's not a big deal. I'm just commenting. LOL!

message 4: by Félix (last edited Oct 26, 2010 10:23AM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) The user name was added a year or so ago as a way to customize the url for your profile. Mine is "habitseven" -- http://www.goodreads.com/habitseven will take you to my profile.

Facebook did the same thing a while back.

I agree that usually a user name or user id is for purposes of logging on to a site. And often that will be your vaild email address as well.

I'll change my first name to Fred now.

message 5: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments If I have it figured out correctly, you have 'RandomAnthony' as your first name. N'est pas?

I think so. I'm so used to using a modified version of my name that I was thrown when I first arrived on GR and so many people were using their real names.

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Fred looks a lot like Larry!

message 7: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Larry wishes he looked this good.

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments anyone ever mistype their name as a user name and then get stuck with kevinspronkle or something like that

message 9: by Jan (new)

Jan | 241 comments Thanks for the name-change, Janice. I would have done it when I started posting here but wasn't sure how to do it.

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments You know I never have gotten stuck with the name kevinspronkle, but I'll keep trying. :-)

message 11: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) There are, I imagine, worse names with which to be stuck.

message 12: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Fred may just turn into Albert at any given time. You never really know.

message 13: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "anyone ever mistype their name as a user name and then get stuck with kevinspronkle or something like that"

I recently bought a new laptop and they set it up for me... I could have done it myself, but was feeling lazy. The person set me up as "janile"... I've tried changing it, but it still keeps popping up from time to time.

message 14: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i had a friend whose last name was ridgeway. she tried putting her user name for something as sm.ridgeway but it only took 10 characters so it came out sm.ridgewa and that is not what i call her, ridgewa. sounds rather french i think

message 15: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I hate when that happens.

message 16: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart How do we change our names?

message 17: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments Go to your profile and click on the edit profile button... you can change your name and picture from there.