English Mysteries Club discussion

Archive Pre-August 2012 Revival > Need help with an author...

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jill (new)

Jill (jillbert) | 7 comments Several years ago I read a series about a British detective (or inspector) who made very complicated sandwiches that he ate while standing at his kitchen sink. He also drank Theakston's Old Peculiar (which is when I discovered my favorite malt beverage). I absolutely can't find these books or remember who was the author - help! And thank you.

message 2: by David (new)

David Peters john Harvey's Charlie Resnick series?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Jill - was John Harvey the right author you were looking for? Just wondering more about your query and if you found the answer! Hope so!

message 4: by Jill (new)

Jill (jillbert) | 7 comments SarahElektra wrote: "Jill - was John Harvey the right author you were looking for? Just wondering more about your query and if you found the answer! Hope so!"

Not John Harvey, unfortunately. Maybe I was dreaming the entire series...

message 5: by Jill (new)

Jill (jillbert) | 7 comments David wrote: "john Harvey's Charlie Resnick series?"

Hello David, Please don't think I was ignoring your thoughtfulness in responding to my query. My dad passed away on Thanksgiving morning, and since then my head has been in a whirl. It wasn't John Harvey, but I really appreciate you taking the time to try to help me! Jill

message 6: by Jill (new)

Jill (jillbert) | 7 comments Forgot to add: I love the Charlie Resnick series!

message 7: by KelleReads (new)

KelleReads (kellewpl) | 12 comments Might it be Martha Grimes' Richard Jury series?

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I confess - I'm not familiar with either series. So...Jill and Texasckr...can either of you suggest books to start with for the Charlie Resnick series or the Richard Jury series for someone unfamiliar? Is it just the easiest thing to begin at the beginning? I'm going to start a list of group recommendations on my profile page! :-) ~S~

message 9: by KelleReads (new)

KelleReads (kellewpl) | 12 comments SarahElektra wrote: "I confess - I'm not familiar with either series. So...Jill and Texasckr...can either of you suggest books to start with for the Charlie Resnick series or the Richard Jury series for someone unfamil..."

For Grimes- I think best to start with the first one- The Man With a Load of Mischief. The titles of all of the Richard Jury books are names of actual pubs. I am not familiar with the Resnick series- a good one to ad to the reading list!

message 10: by Jill (new)

Jill (jillbert) | 7 comments SarahElektra wrote: "I confess - I'm not familiar with either series. So...Jill and Texasckr...can either of you suggest books to start with for the Charlie Resnick series or the Richard Jury series for someone unfamil..."

Hi Sarah, The first in the Charlie Resnick series by Harvey is Lonely Hearts. I usually go to the Barnes & Noble site to find books in sequence...saves some time! And Texasckr is correct about the Richard Jury books, begin with the first one. Again, B&N makes it fairly easy to sorth through them. Good luck and enjoy! Jill

message 11: by David (new)

David Peters I think John Harvey is one of those writers who got progressively better the more he wrote. To get him in his element start with his Frank Elder trilogy. The first book is called Flesh & Blood, and he had been writing quite a while when he wrote it.

message 12: by David (new)

David Peters That said Resnick likes to eat sandwiches, listen to Jazz, and hang out at home.

message 13: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Jill wrote: "SarahElektra wrote: "I confess - I'm not familiar with either series. So...Jill and Texasckr...can either of you suggest books to start with for the Charlie Resnick series or the Richard Jury serie..."

Jill wrote: "SarahElektra wrote: "I confess - I'm not familiar with either series. So...Jill and Texasckr...can either of you suggest books to start with for the Charlie Resnick series or the Richard Jury serie..."

Another site that lists books by series in order is
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/ You can look up books by author, by title, or even by subject character.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

All - this is great! Feel free to add books you recommend to the group bookshelf or if I have to do that as moderator (i'm still on a learning curve with that...) then let me know and I'll add them. Then you can add comments and feedback on the ones you've read. Sound good?
Cheers!
~S~

message 15: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Sounds good to me! I'm hoping others will chime in with their favorites, thereby providing me with new authors to read.

message 16: by Kaye (new)

Kaye (momgee) | 23 comments Cynthia Harrod-Eagles has a great series featuring Bill Slider as a London detective. I think there are about 7 or 8 books in the series by now. I've got some catching up to do.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Needless to say - I'll be keeping this thread open for future BotM club inspiration! Looks like we've all got a growing wish list...one book at a time, eh?
Cheers!
~S~

message 18: by Therese (new)

Therese | 13 comments Not much help, but in the vein of trivia... did you know there is a Theakston's Old Peculiar Crime Novel of the Year Award?

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't! Might have to have look round online for a list...could make a great starting place for BotM inspirations. I'm off now to check on that idea! Thanks for telling us!

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

message 21: by Jill (new)

Jill (jillbert) | 7 comments Therese wrote: "Not much help, but in the vein of trivia... did you know there is a Theakston's Old Peculiar Crime Novel of the Year Award?"

Therese, the Theakston's award list is how I discovered Mark Billingsley and other authors I was not familiar with. It's a great resource for anyone who loves a good mystery.

message 22: by Lindig (new)

Lindig I'm looking for an woman author who wrote psychological thrillers / police-legal procedurals about a woman (named Helen?) who was a Crown Prosecutor and her lover was a Scotland Yard detective. I think she only wrote 8 or so and then died (but it's not Sarah Caudwell).

Any help appreciated.

message 23: by Therese (new)

Therese | 13 comments Lindig wrote: "I'm looking for an woman author who wrote psychological thrillers / police-legal procedurals about a woman (named Helen?) who was a Crown Prosecutor and her lover was a Scotland Yard detective. I t..."

Author: Frances Fyfield
Character: Helen West, Crown Prosecutor in domestic violence court.

message 24: by Therese (new)

Therese | 13 comments Jill wrote: "Several years ago I read a series about a British detective (or inspector) who made very complicated sandwiches that he ate while standing at his kitchen sink. He also drank Theakston's Old Peculia..."

Do any of these ring a bell?: http://www.sldirectory.com/libsf/book...

message 25: by Christina (new)

Christina (christinalc) | 20 comments I just read through the conversation here. While I'm not familiar with the writers mentioned, here is a site some of you might find useful. You can look up mysteries by writer, detective, time period, location, etc, and they include lists of books in publication order. It's a great site!

http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/

message 26: by Lindig (new)

Lindig Therese wrote: "Lindig wrote: "I'm looking for an woman author who wrote psychological thrillers / police-legal procedurals about a woman (named Helen?) who was a Crown Prosecutor and her lover was a Scotland Yard..."

Yes! Thanks. I thought these were great.

message 27: by Lindig (new)

Lindig Therese, I meant to copy your answer (not my question) in my thank you but forgot to do it.

Anyhow, thanks.

message 28: by Therese (new)

Therese | 13 comments Lindig wrote: "Therese, I meant to copy your answer (not my question) in my thank you but forgot to do it.

Anyhow, thanks."

Your welcome, is that the author/character you are looking for?

message 29: by Lindig (new)

Lindig Yes, Frances Fyfield -- that's the one.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Two more great websites to check out - Thanks Therese and Christina. I'd better get hoping and announce the Book of the Month list for the rest of the year now that I've gotten even more help from everyone on here!

Lindig...glad you found who you were looking for! Such a great group of very knowledgeable folks on here!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Lonely Hearts (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Cynthia Harrod-Eagles (other topics)