British Literature discussion

Current Book Discussions > Hallowe'en Party

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C.nick (new)

C.nick (cnick) | 32 comments I have just started! It has been a busy month. Anyway I just wanted to see if anyone else read it or was reading it.

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary Kristine | 7 comments Saving for Halloween weekend.

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary Kristine | 7 comments Well, I have read my first A. Christie book! I have seen movies,television and even stage productions, but never read her mysteries. My reaction, I need to read more. Not because I was entralled but because I was disappointed. Not in her writing style or her character, in fact, I loved the simplicity of her dialogue as Poirot delves into the complexities of clues and suspects. I felt that in some respects I was reading a morality play. Young girls who lie end up dead, young boys who do bad things get ...... (won't complete for fear of being a spoiler.

I have several questions that seem to hanging loose at the end plus the last surprise surrounding Miranda seemed to be totally unrealistic and quite unneccessary. I know I am dissing an icon that is why I plan to read the book for next month and several more.

message 4: by C.nick (last edited Oct 31, 2010 11:56PM) (new)

C.nick (cnick) | 32 comments I've read, let me see, thirteen Poirot stories and agree that this was not at the top of Christie's work, but I did like it better than "Third Girl". This is the third to the last of the Poirot novels and was published in 1969, in 1976 Christie died at age 85.

"The Mysterious Affair at Styles" is a interesting read as it is the beginning, but I think my favourite so far is "Murder on the Orient Express" and "Cards on the Table". It is good though, that one bad reading experience doesn't turn you off everything the author does, if I don't like something I've read I tend to run completely the other way from the author.

P.S. Who here figured out the mystery before Poirot explained?

message 5: by Mary (new)

Mary Kristine | 7 comments C.Nick,
Thanks for the info about the series. I, in fact, jumped into this month's book, The Hallow. Enjoyed it much more.