TWILIGHT HATERS discussion

Randomness > Books that remind you of Twilight

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mandie (new)

Mandie | 71 comments I wasn't sure where to put this because I haven't added a topic before, but I just thought we should tell each other what books we thought sucked because they reminded us of Twilight. That way, we can all save some time and money if we were about to read a book we would have hated. I have also created a list here. http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/74...
Please add to it, I only have one book so far but I have read descriptions of a few that sound like they would fit, but I haven't read them so I don't know.

message 2: by Ahlaam (new)

Ahlaam All the new teen book remind me of twilight now a days. There's barely a good teen book. They all have bad plots, needy can't do anything female protagonists who is more of a lapdog than partner and omnipotent male protagonists.

message 3: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 316 comments Hush, Hush
Shiver (I liked this one a little. Too much prose thoguh)
Vampire Academy
House of Night
Wings
The list could go on quite a while.

message 4: by Rose (last edited Oct 23, 2010 01:06PM) (new)

Rose (iceclaw) | 2069 comments I have to disagree with you, Ahlaam and Lindsay. Well not exactly "disagree" for you Ahlaam. Becuase I find alot of people are extremely... I don't know the word... judgy of young adult books. Becuase people except them to either be like children's books, mary-suish and all that, or have the seriousness/themes of an an adult book. I read mostly young adult and adult books, and I really must say barely any of them remind me of Twilight.

And for you, Lindsay. I hate, hate hate James Patterson. Now, I want you to listen to me, alright? You're a Twilight hater and one of our goals is to not to turn into the one of the Twilight lovers that joined the group "Twilight Haters Suck" which does exist--except "lovers" instead of "haters".

I read the first two Maximum Ride books, and I loved them. Loved them, I really liked the blind guy who's name escapes me. So I started talking about it on here, and someone who I think has left the group, told me that he was not a good writer. Even my half-brother told me that. He said, "James Patterson is an awful writer, but he has great movies," during one of our usual library trips. So I started reading the third one, thinking about what the previous member and my brother said. And I realized they aren't that good.

Yes, the style is addicting and just the sincere fact that the main characters are f-ing mutants with wings. But the writing style is not very good, Max could easily be called a Mary Sue, it's loaded with cliches and it's rushed. I got through the prologue, then closed the book and thought. "This book is getting me nowhere in life." And I returned it without a second thought.

As for your comment in the beginning, I kinda agree with you. A lot of YA books try to be kinda scary and mysterious and stuff--and a bunch fail. So now I must reccomend you good ones. Nancy Werlin. Every book of hers--excpe the fairy tales, which are still good--are brilliant. They're so brillant I wanted to put "bloody" and the front even though I'm not in anyway British-speaking or anything. And Suzanne Weyn. In particular, Black Mirror by Suzanne Weyn and...oh what's it called? What's it called???? The Killer's Cousin. Yes. Those two books are especially good and, by listening to you talk, I really think you might like them. They all got some purdy good reviews...just in case you're wondering. When I'm in the YA section, I always go to Nancy Werlin, Scott Wersterfeld, Suzanne Weyn, and Markus Zusak. Those are really good books they write! They are serious and have plots and all that goodly shit.

And saying "shit" once or twice and some intamate scenes just not come close to the boundary of young adult books. I'm pretty sure in some of SW or NW's books you hear the F bomb a bit and there's some nice little suggestive parts.

message 5: by *Sklip* (new)

*Sklip*  (stalkerninja) The blind one's name is Iggy =]

message 6: by Basma (new)

Basma Kaid (BasmaKaid) Need (Need, #1) by Carrie Jones Captivate (Need, #2) by Carrie Jones Entice (Need, #3) by Carrie Jones they do remind me a little but these are better

message 7: by Mandie (new)

Mandie | 71 comments Hi everyone, thanks for replying to my topic, but could you please vote on the list if there are some that remind you of twilight?

message 8: by Ahlaam (last edited Oct 24, 2010 01:18PM) (new)

Ahlaam Rose, we may not have mary-sue's in YA books but certainly have gary-stu's which is just as bad as far as i'm concerned. I read (isn't it weird how the past tense of read is the same as present) YA books with an open mind, actually that's what i used to read for about 4 years but it the repetitive plot line and characters gets boring. The only difference between them is the characters names and the species but it's basically the same story. I just think it's rare to find a YA book thats unique.

message 9: by Rose (last edited Oct 26, 2010 01:30PM) (new)

Rose (iceclaw) | 2069 comments Hmm..... I read the first Hunger Games book and I thought it was okay. At first was really blew me away was the writer's vocabulary. Part of me was expecting words like what I use *sweatdrop*. *SPOILER* Except Rue's death made me cry, like ten tears. Cold tears, which are my favorite. I'm gonna write about cold tears one day..... maybe. I hope to. Anyway, my sister really enjoyed the entire series--she loved them all. It didn't get there for me, though. Yeah they are addicting, but they don't stand out in my mind when I think of good books.

I knew James Patterson worked with different authors on his books, like Don't Blink and his adult books. I thought he wrote his YA books on his own though...

Some of the awkwardness in their mutantness and strengths did occur to me at one point, but then I shoved them away.

I can't beleive you can't put avian DNA in a person. Well, I can beleive it, but the thought of it not being possible has occured to me. I really liked that in The Barcode Tattooo and The Barcode Rebellion.

Ya just gotta keep flipping around with YA books--in my opinion they are really diverse...but I'm just some girl who can barely tell the difference between poop and pudding so.... yeah. I never really encounter any that have the same story-line. Yeah some are similar, like Everlost and Elsewhere(which are different books by different authors that are both about what happens after you die) but they are different in their own way. In the mood, the characters, the way it is set up, the theme, the moral. I don't know, just my lowly opinion....

message 10: by Rose (new)

Rose (iceclaw) | 2069 comments Wow Rose...it's been so long since you've written something so long and intelligent I've had to skip most of it.

And yes, let's try and get back to the topic.

message 11: by *Sklip* (new)

*Sklip*  (stalkerninja) @Rose: That was an intense rant/debate

message 12: by Zelda (new)

Zelda of Unapologetic Reviews (zelda_of_arel) | 66 comments Let me just add my 2c to Star Trek. I once saw a "how they made the Next Generation" kind of show and they said that they employ actual scientists to explain and come up with the sci-fi stuff. So no wonder they are plausible. And I hear that warp drive is possible myself. Also, transportation. They are figuring that out too and it is possible, just not working. Yet.

For the actual topic, I can only think of books that reminded me of Twilight because they were just as boring, but I have talked about those in another topic. I only read fanfiction that was so bad. I read a lot of Harry Potter fanfiction and there are some really talented authors out there, but there are those that have a Twilight-like style.

message 13: by Rose (new)

Rose (iceclaw) | 2069 comments When I said Evermore in one of my earlier posts, I meant to say Elsewhere *sweatdrop* sorry about that.

Isn't Evermore Everlost's sequel? I read Everlost, and it was boring at first but I thought it got better at the end...

message 14: by Mandie (new)

Mandie | 71 comments Evermore isn't a sequel to anything. It is an incredibly crappy twilight rip-off, which could possibly be even worse than twilight.

message 15: by Rose (new)

Rose (iceclaw) | 2069 comments Basically, everything with vampires kinda reminds me of Twilight. Except a lot of books get over it and end up being really good. It' just a first impression kinda thing and you shouldn't just abandon it becuase you "think" it reminds you of Twilight.

message 16: by Rose (last edited Oct 27, 2010 12:50PM) (new)

Rose (iceclaw) | 2069 comments It just doesn't make any sense!! VAMPIRES SHOULDN'T SPARKLE!!!

They should eat people and should sleep during the day and should avoid garlic and do a whole lot of other vampire shit I can't think of right now!

message 17: by *Sklip* (new)

*Sklip*  (stalkerninja) lol, if Edward was all like: "This is the skin of a killer, Anna" to me
I'd bust up laughing and then take pics and upload them to Facebook LOL

message 18: by Rose (new)

Rose (iceclaw) | 2069 comments There is a llama that looks exactly like Taylor Lautner.

And a deer that looks like Anne Hathaway.

message 19: by Rose (new)

Rose (iceclaw) | 2069 comments I'll try-- I have a bunch of Parental Controls on my compy so I can't get to alot of sites.

I can't get to Coolmath.com...XD

message 20: by Rose (new)

Rose (iceclaw) | 2069 comments http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2010/03/m...

Looking back, it doesn't look exactly like him. But there is some similarity in the mouth and such.

Or at least I can see it.

message 21: by Rose (new)

Rose (iceclaw) | 2069 comments Yay!! So I'm not blind!

message 22: by Rose (new)

Rose (iceclaw) | 2069 comments Yeah I know I'm not. Just sarcasm. I think that would be sarcasm...or maybe some other term that I do not know about....or something.