Zombies! discussion

Movies and TV > The Walking Dead on AMC

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jessy (new)

Jessy | 5 comments Hey guys, here is my Spread The Dead for the upcoming The Walking Dead series: http://bit.ly/dtZwH4

Are you guys as excited as I am? Nope.

message 2: by Calvin (new)

Calvin Miller (cal_in_space) | 10 comments YES!!!!

message 3: by Christine (new)

Christine Sullivan | 1 comments yes!!! Plus we got The Walking Dead tees and stickers in the store now (Hot Topic)!!!! lots of zombie goodness

message 4: by Steve (new)

Steve Chaput (stevec50) | 139 comments Have been seeing the trailers and promos over and over on AMC, during Fear Fest. Getting really psyched, which I have been since the initial announcement and the teasers at San Diego. Consider WD one of the best current comics on the stands.

message 5: by Jessy (new)

Jessy | 5 comments Steve wrote: "Have been seeing the trailers and promos over and over on AMC, during Fear Fest. Getting really psyched, which I have been since the initial announcement and the teasers at San Diego. Consider WD..."

The Walking Dead is my FAVORITE comic. Kirkman is just a great story telling, and the graphics are just amazing.
As for the trailers and whatnot, I have been following this since AMC said they would take the show. I am MORE than ready for it to premier.

message 6: by Vin (new)

Vin (psychoffspring) | 3 comments It shall be great, the director did a great job with The Mist, hope he brings Kirkman's story to life in a great way as well.

message 7: by James (new)

James (barron262) Dude's I am way stoked for this, We are having an entire Halloween party based around the premiere lol

message 8: by Vin (new)

Vin (psychoffspring) | 3 comments ^-- awesome

message 9: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie james wrote: "Dude's I am way stoked for this, We are having an entire Halloween party based around the premiere lol"

Good idea. Wish I had more than just basic cable. :/

message 10: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 6 comments I just finished watching the first episode. Before watching it, I had some misgivings. But now that I've seen it, I'm surprised. The show is actually pretty good. Really good, in fact.

What did everyone else think?

message 11: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie I thought it was really good too. They changed a few minor things, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse.

message 12: by Vin (new)

Vin (psychoffspring) | 3 comments I'll agree with Ashley. Changed some things here and there for better or worse. I look forward to the rest of the series though. Better than I thought it was going to be

message 13: by Cj (new)

Cj | 38 comments What a great 1st episode. As good if not better then any Zombie movies out in a long time from acting, to story to effects. Heck for TV, it's amazing.

message 14: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 6 comments I was surprised by the gore! And by the makeup and creature effects. It was all really well done!

Felicia A Sullivan (ftjazgal) | 20 comments Liked it a lot, but did not love it. I think they are following the story fairly well, but I do NOT like that some of the zombies seem almost sentient. I like my zombies stupid, shambling and hunger driven, not climbing the stairs, standing at a doorway looking into the peephole and turning the doorknob.

message 16: by a (new)

a (philosiraptor) I thought it was absolutely fantastic. I've been waiting forever for zombies to come to television. It's difficult, though, because when it comes to zombies, the same ideas get recycled through every film/novel eventually.

message 17: by Cj (new)

Cj | 38 comments Felicia I agree on the sentient comment. I think they added "some" of that for the tugging of the emotional strings. The child with her bunny rabbit and especially the wife pulled our emotions. possibly added dare I say for the non Zombieist and female psyche.

Heck any show that shows a 5 year old zombie getting skull blasted in the first few minutes is going brave. That scene threw down a gauntlet.

message 18: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie @CJ Gotta agree with you on the special effects. They looked so good! I was super creeped out.

They did a great job on the suspense and not just the gore.

I did NOT like the sentient part either. Wayyyyyy too creepy for me, haha. So they have memories and emotions, but all of that is nothing compared to their hunger? Hmm.

Best part: that I didn't know what was going to happen next. They changed it just enough for it to be exciting, as well as fun to see it all on screen.

message 19: by Robert (new)

Robert | 18 comments The things that were added I liked which was a pleasant surprise. The story changes were subtle. As for the "intelligence" issue I don't have a problem with it. I don't think the zombies are showing much more brain power than what romero's zombies had in the original dawn of the dead, definately less than the ones in savini's remake. Is it a little more? Sure. I think it's just adding a little spice to the story though to keep us on our toes.

Felicia A Sullivan (ftjazgal) | 20 comments I don't want to be on my toes. I want my zombies stupid, shambling and trying to eat my brain, without thinking about which wine would go better with it. I'm just sayin'...

:-)

message 21: by Robert (new)

Robert | 18 comments I can respect that. :) I just think that if they are showing base deep core emotional awareness (i.e. the girl and her teddy bear), then that is going to open up so many doors for plot development later on down the line. If you had to pull the trigger and put down someone you loved that had turned it would make it just that much harder to do so.

message 22: by Robert (new)

Robert | 18 comments Part of the reason why the comic is such a success as it is is because Robert Kirkman thinks outside the box.

Felicia A Sullivan (ftjazgal) | 20 comments Robert, I absolutely agree with you about plot development, and CJ, I agree with you too about not only the emotional aspect, but also maybe drawing in non-zombie fans.

And though I think George Romero walks on water, I do not share his sentiment about the walking dead retaining any of their former core characteristics. I GET it, but I don't share his sentiment.

What a great discussion! I love Goodreads almost as much as I love zombies.

message 24: by Tony (new)

Tony Faville | 10 comments I absolutely loved it, and while I truly appreciated the fact they stayed as faithful to the original work as they did, the additions they made were very worthwhile.

I really dug that Darabont did what he did with the bunny slipper zombie. When I saw that, I knew they were not planning on holding anything back.

Finally, great zombies on TV for us zombie fans.

message 25: by Ian (new)

Ian Sandusky (idgs) | 59 comments I've only seen the trailer, but in the Apple iStore I downloaded the graphic novel for free - only the first issue is out there gratis, but then again they have to turn a buck somehow.

I really liked it - can't wait to see the show! I'm sure the comic didn't do the show justice at all (I'm not even a graphic novel fan) but it served the purpose if the aim was to get me stoked!

My American compadres, please keep me posted!

Cheers,

IDGS
Grey Dogs: Zombie Survival
Grey Dogs Zombie Survival by Ian D.G. Sandusky

message 26: by Tony (new)

Tony Faville | 10 comments Ian wrote: "I've only seen the trailer, but in the Apple iStore I downloaded the graphic novel for free - only the first issue is out there gratis, but then again they have to turn a buck somehow.

I really li..."

Ian, actually, the graphic novel came before the TV show. From what we have seen so far, the show is quite respectful of where it came from.

message 27: by Ian (new)

Ian Sandusky (idgs) | 59 comments Tony wrote: "Ian wrote: "I've only seen the trailer, but in the Apple iStore I downloaded the graphic novel for free - only the first issue is out there gratis, but then again they have to turn a buck somehow.
..."

Oh no shit, how much more ignorant can I possibly be?

In that case, I don't feel so bad about indulging in the graphic novel before the show! It was really quite well written - like I said, I typically don't even consider reading graphic novels, so that I enjoyed it at all really says something about it!

And I must say, they have a 'frame by frame guided read' feature with the digital copy on the iPad, and it seriously made it more interesting.

In any case, enjoy - and I'll be picking up the season on DVD whenever it drops!

Cheers,

IDGS

Grey Dogs: Zombie Survival

message 28: by Tony (new)

Tony Faville | 10 comments I am a huge fan of the books Ian. Do yourself a favor, and someday pick up the omnibus of the stories. It is fantastic and just keeps getting better in my opinion.

Tony

message 29: by Loren (new)

Loren | 1 comments outstanding first episode of the series, can't wait for more

message 30: by Neil (new)

Neil (nilling) | 16 comments Watched last Fri on FXUK, 70mins with NO ad breaks. Loved it and cannot wait for next episode.

message 31: by Thomas (new)

Thomas | 1 comments I'm really enjoying it.

The production values are excellent. The acting is also a cut or two above what we usually get in zombie fare.

Eventually, though, I'd like to see a zombie story that shows you how and why the zombies win. Starting out with a coma victim allows you to avoid having to show that, and I understand the budgetary and storytelling reasons why you'd want to avoid doing so as a filmmaker; but I'd still like to see it done really well at least once.

Thomas Brookside
De Bello Lemures, Or The Roman War Against the Zombies of Armorica
The Last Days of Jericho

message 32: by Ian (new)

Ian Sandusky (idgs) | 59 comments Tony wrote: "I am a huge fan of the books Ian. Do yourself a favor, and someday pick up the omnibus of the stories. It is fantastic and just keeps getting better in my opinion.

Tony"

Completely agree - just downloaded the second onto my iPad and it's incredible - already addicted! Thanks for the reccomendation - it's well worth it, everyone!

IDGS

message 33: by James (new)

James (barron262) So the party on Halloween was a success, The graphics are amazing. I dont mind the small variations from the GN just as long as they stay small. But I still think this series is a banger.

message 34: by James (new)

James (barron262) Ashley wrote: "james wrote: "Dude's I am way stoked for this, We are having an entire Halloween party based around the premiere lol"

Good idea. Wish I had more than just basic cable. :/"

Oh man, dont worry Ashley Ill be right there with you soon if I dont get my billed paid lol

message 35: by James (new)

James (m0gb0y74) | 4 comments We just got the second episode in the UK last night. Good to see that the actor that plays the main character in the first episode was from the UK ;-)

The pilot was great - the FX for the Zombies is excellent and it's good to see that they haven't made them into '28 days l8r' zombies. I've never read the comic but I will definitely have to seek it out now.

message 36: by Paul (new)

Paul James wrote: "We just got the second episode in the UK last night. Good to see that the actor that plays the main character in the first episode was from the UK ;-)

The pilot was great - the FX for the Zombie..."

@ James The series is going great in my opinion. The comic is something you should definitely pick up. Search for the compendium VOL 1 it's the best buy for someone new to the series.

message 37: by James (new)

James (barron262) I agree the comic is awesome, the type casting for the main characters in the series is spot on. Its really well done and I cant wait to see how it folds out.

message 38: by James (new)

James (m0gb0y74) | 4 comments Just seen the second episode. Really good - Michael Rooker plays a really nasty peice of work. I like how the zombies behave and how they can move at a jog when excited and after their prey - not stupidly fast but fast enough to cause real concern.

message 39: by Ian (new)

Ian Sandusky (idgs) | 59 comments God, as I'm in Canada, I have to find a reliable site to watch this on - anybody got joy on this one?

message 40: by Paul (new)

Paul Ian wrote: "God, as I'm in Canada, I have to find a reliable site to watch this on - anybody got joy on this one?"

@Ian Try http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/ But I can't be responsible for any viruses you might get.

message 41: by Neil (new)

Neil (nilling) | 16 comments Watching in the UK on Sky/FXUK channel. One week behind US. Amazing show!!

message 42: by Ian (new)

Ian Sandusky (idgs) | 59 comments I've been biding my time, reading the plot synopses online. I don't care about ruining the suspense, I just need my fix!

message 43: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 78 comments AMC.com?

message 44: by J.M. (new)

J.M. (jmmartin) | 3 comments If you haven't seen it, check out the full video of the pilot episode on AMC's web site:

http://www.amctv.com/originals/The-Wa...

--
Joe

message 45: by Steve (new)

Steve Chaput (stevec50) | 139 comments After three episodes I haven't been disappointed at all. I don't even mind the minor changes to the book, since the series is working so well. Really glad to hear that AMC has already called for a second season of shows. You also know that some characters will be returning, whether you like them or not. It was true in the comic and I can see the people working on the TV show working to do the same thing.

message 46: by Steve (new)

Steve Chaput (stevec50) | 139 comments James wrote: "Just seen the second episode. Really good - Michael Rooker plays a really nasty peice of work. I like how the zombies behave and how they can move at a jog when excited and after their prey - not s..."

Happened to see him walking around the convention center at San Diego earlier this year. I never know what to say at those moments, but he just nodded when he saw that expression of recognition on my face. He does play a great bad guy, and even made you feel some sympathy for this nasty piece of work as he sat on the roof.

message 47: by Dana (new)

Dana (dana_fredsti) | 115 comments Steve wrote: "After three episodes I haven't been disappointed at all. I don't even mind the minor changes to the book, since the series is working so well. Really glad to hear that AMC has already called for ..."

I'm loving the changes 'cause it keeps me in suspense instead of knowing exactly what's gonna happen next. Love the graphic novels, love the series... but BOY, have they made the survivors a lot more dysfunctional right off the bat... Some pretty vile redneck men...

message 48: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 78 comments Laurie bothers me more in the series than in the GNs. I feel like, instead of her affair with Shane being something out of grief and the belief that her husband is dead, they could have possibly have started the affair before the zombie apocalypse. I know there's no evidence to support that but I watch this series with a group of friends and I'm the only one who's read the series. Another guy in our group convinced half of them that that's what happened. For the series, it's a convincing argument, she seems to be too into him and they are having too much sex for my liking based on characterization. Grief sex should only happen once or twice.

message 49: by James (new)

James (m0gb0y74) | 4 comments I didn't get the impression that they were having an affair before the outbreak but I did think that for a friend Shane was very quick to get it on with his mates wife. The wife was quick of the mark as well for someone who loved her husband.

message 50: by J.M. (new)

J.M. (jmmartin) | 3 comments I'm with ya on that, James. Shane and Lori both give me an icky feeling. Officer Rick deserves better. It's like Rachel says, too. "Grief sex" once or twice, but that's it. Okay, maybe three times. Or four. But that's it! Five is crossing the line.

« previous 1