The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

General Chat > Need help finding an author!

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jill (new)

Jill (jillbert) | 23 comments Several years ago I read a few books in a series about a British police detective who drank Theakston's Old Peculiar and made himself the most fantastic sandwiches which he then ate at the kitchen sink...The writing was wonderful (and I discovered my favorite beer EVER) but I've forgotten who wrote them. Ring a bell with anyone? Thanks for your help!

message 2: by Mona (last edited Oct 20, 2010 08:13AM) (new)

message 3: by Jill (new)

Jill (jillbert) | 23 comments Mona wrote: "Jason Foss?"

Noooo...but thanks for the name - seems to be worth further investigation!

message 4: by Mona (new)

Mona Garg (k1721m) | 70 comments Thomas Graham?

message 5: by Dorie (last edited Oct 20, 2010 09:22AM) (new)

Dorie (dorieann) | 464 comments What about the Tom Thorne series by Mark Billingham?

message 6: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 9221 comments Mod
Was it by any chance the Richard Jury series by Martha Grimes?

message 7: by Jill (new)

Jill (jillbert) | 23 comments Thank you all so much - I've read all of Billingham, most of Grimes, all of Graham - none of them fit this description. The detective was separated from his wife after being married for quite a while, thought for a moment of Alan Banks but he's not the right detective either. Oh well, I still discovered Theakston's Old Peculiar!

message 8: by Jill (new)

Jill (jillbert) | 23 comments Dorie wrote: "What about the Tom Thorne series by Mark Billingham?"

Dorie, It's not Tom Thorne but I was very happy to discover Billingham last year. I think he's excellent even if rather...involved.

message 9: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 36256 comments How about Peter Lovesey's Peter Diamond series? I don't remember about the beer but I think I recall him eating over the kitchen sink.

message 10: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Perhaps it's Philip R. Craig who writes the Vineyard Mystery series?

message 11: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy wrote: "Perhaps it's Philip R. Craig who writes the Vineyard Mystery series?"

no...he's not British. sorry.

message 12: by Jill (new)

Jill (jillbert) | 23 comments Jan C wrote: "How about Peter Lovesey's Peter Diamond series? I don't remember about the beer but I think I recall him eating over the kitchen sink."

I don't think so but now that I've investigated, I'm adding Lovesey to my reading list! Thanks Jan.

message 13: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy wrote: "Nancy wrote: "Perhaps it's Philip R. Craig who writes the Vineyard Mystery series?"

no...he's not British. sorry."

But he does drink Old Peculiar and make sandwiches.

message 14: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Okay. I'm going to try once more and then I give up. It could feasibly be Charlie Resnick, who eats sandwiches over the sink. His series is written by John Harvey.

message 15: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline (brightonreader) | 24 comments Hi,
It might be Ian Rankin. He has a series featuring Inspector Rebus.

message 16: by 4cats (new)

4cats (fourcats) Peter James, Colin Dexter (Morse loved a pint) or Val McDermid grasping at straws here I think but my bet's on Morse.

message 17: by Bill (new)

Bill It actually sounds like Lawrence Sanders detective, Edward Delaney (even though he isn't a British detective), but I do recall the wonderful sandwiches he would make. The Deadly Sins series of books.

message 18: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

I thought of that too, but she said it was British. I'm still going with Jack Harvey.

message 19: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
I'm thinking Charlie Resnick series by John Harvey too.

message 20: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) | 464 comments Darn it, Jill. This thread is adding to my to-read pile. LOL!

message 21: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 36256 comments And the fact that Theakston's Old Peculiar has a crime writing award makes this question hard to google. I know, I tried it this afternoon.

message 22: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

I just started plowing through my Brit books!

message 23: by Jill (new)

Jill (jillbert) | 23 comments Jan C wrote: "And the fact that Theakston's Old Peculiar has a crime writing award makes this question hard to google. I know, I tried it this afternoon."

Tell me about it Jan - I did the same thing when I first started to look for these books. On the plus side, looking at the Theakston's award winners led me to a bunch of new (for me) authors.

message 24: by Jill (new)

Jill (jillbert) | 23 comments Dorie wrote: "Darn it, Jill. This thread is adding to my to-read pile. LOL!"
I know, Dorie - between this thread and the Theakston's award site, I'm "booked" for about 6 months!

message 25: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

So -- did you ever figure out who it was you were looking for?

message 26: by Jill (new)

Jill (jillbert) | 23 comments Nancy wrote: "So -- did you ever figure out who it was you were looking for?"

No, I haven't found it...but I will persevere! And in the meantime I've found loads of new books to add to my list. So it's all good!

message 27: by Kate (new)

Kate In Stewart Giles' DS Jason Smith novels, Smith has named his bull terrier 'Theakston.' He also drinks considerable quantities of Theakston's.

message 28: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen Laurence Saunders has a detective who liked his wet sandwiches (over the sink) and dry sandwiches. American writer though. I think they are the first deadly sin, etc. ?

message 29: by Bill (new)

Bill Gretchen wrote: "Laurence Saunders has a detective who liked his wet sandwiches (over the sink) and dry sandwiches. American writer though. I think they are the first deadly sin, etc. ?"

They are indeed. I used to like reading the books just to see what he would eat and what beer he would drink with it. Lawrence Sanders. Ed Delaney was the cop.