The Next Best Book Club discussion

TNBBC's Lists > Top 5 Authors You Would Read Regardless

Comments Showing 1-50 of 303 (303 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10109 comments Mod
Michelle has brought this up in another thread and I felt it deserved its own thread.

There are authors out there that some us would read anything by. Regardless of what the book cover says its about, regardless of reviews, regardless of weather we liked the last novel we had read by them.

So go ahead and post those authors that you are just hopelessly addicted to and will read anything they publish!

message 2: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Ok, so I'll start.

1)David Maine - I was really impressed with his first novel Fallen. Have bought and read everything since! And since I met him back in Feb.. am hopelessly awaiting his next one!!

2)Jose Saramago - Is this a suprise to anyone??!!5 down, still got a few more to go. I havent read a bad book by him yet!

3)Jules Verne - I have read 4 of his novels, and plan on reading the rest as well. He has a unique eye, and Ive been sucked into every novel of his so far.

4)Charles Bukowski - I have read 4 of his novels/short stories and will continue, tho his catalouge is HUGE.... so I expect this will take me a long, long time!

5)Christopher Moore - This is one funny man! I love everything I have read by him, which is quite a few, 5 or 6.. I would have to check my list to be sure... I will be picking up more as the months go by for sure!

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mcd724) | 117 comments Hmm...unfortunately there are quite a few...but I will try and limit my list as directed...

1. Nick Hornby: I guess I really love his short essays like those from the Polysyllabic Spree...I really don't like his fiction that much, but every now and then there is just this turn of phrase or description that reminds me why I buy whatever he writes...
2. Pat Conroy: Unfortunately it has been a while since he wrote anything other than a cookbook, but there is just something about his descriptions, no matter how depressing the story or how stilted some of the dialogue may be...
3. Kurt Vonnegut: Although his recent passing has probably put a stop to that...although who knows how many other "unpublished" works will turn up...
4. W.E.B. Griffin: The Brotherhood of War books were the first that my dad and I bonded over...and to this day, I read whatever he writes just because it makes me think of my dad...and his stories are the guy version of chick-lit...with some violence thrown in for good measure...
5. Jodi Picoult and Jane Green: Putting them together, because they are two authors I really don't like anymore...and yet, I keep reading, because I have hope that maybe they will write something again that will make me remember why I bought everything they ever wrote in the first place...

message 4: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Michelle, dont feel the need to hold back due to the Top 5 topic... if you have more, go ahead and post em... i really didnt have more than 5, hence the reason i made a top 5 list :)

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mcd724) | 117 comments Lori,

How weird that the majority of our authors are male? All of mine would have been, but I made a conscious choice to make five a woman (women), because it didn't seem right for some reason...

I have to say, I read Lamb and while some of it was laugh out loud funny, I really had to struggle to finish it...Not sure where the disconnect was, because normally his humor is right up my alley...maybe I just wasn't in the right frame of mind...

message 6: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lamb for me was my least favorite of his overall... Dirty Job and The Stupidest Angel tying for number one!!! Thats not to say that I didnt like it, because I did. Maybe its because most of the characters in that novel were people, vs the mutant zombie reanimated vampire creatures in his other stories? So I dont think it was your frame of mind, I felt it was his weakest so far.

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mcd724) | 117 comments Then I will give him another go...Like I said, there were parts that were hilarious...but others that just dragged and dragged...

message 8: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

What else have you read by him?

message 9: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mcd724) | 117 comments Only Lamb...it was recommended by several people, so I finally gave it a shot, even though the premise didn't exactly strike my fancy...

message 10: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Definetly pick up A Dirty Job or Stupidest Angel if you are willing to give him another shot. They are by far much more creative and hilarious.
Dirty Job is about a normal alpha male who finds out he is a death merchant (like the grim reaper) and all hell is let loose. We read it as part of the group read, check out the book discussions but be careful of the spoilers.
Stupidest Angel is about, well, a stupid angel who is called to earth to answer a little boys christmas wish. And the craziness that ensues when he attempts to bring that wish to fruitition. (is that a word?)

message 11: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) 1. Karen Chance (one of my favorite authors)

2. Rob Thurman (another of my favorite authors)

3. Maria V. Snyder (I love her characters and her world-building abilities)

4. Elizabeth Hoyt & Madeline Hunter (they are both romance authors and write similiar to each other... they give me my romance fix)

5. John Sandford (like Ms. Hoyt and Ms. Hunter, this author gives me my murder-mystery fix... plus, I love the Prey series main character, Lucas Davenport)

message 12: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 2389 comments I am so sad...Libba Bray. I need to stop this horrible YA addiction! (Oh, I love it, can't-stop).

message 13: by Mandy (new)

Mandy 1. Lee Child
2. James Patterson
3. Martina Cole
4. Meg Gardiner
5. Geraldine Brooks

Not only would I read all these but I must purchase them as well, they're keepers, no borrowing these ones at all. And some aren't as good as they used to be but I will most probably forever buy all their books.

message 14: by Bluedaizy (new)

Bluedaizy | 135 comments These are not in any particular order, just the nearest books at hand:

Martha Grimes--I think she's a hoot. Is Aunt Agatha an homage to Agatha Christie's ugly American? I think so.

John Sandford--this is a recent obsession. I didn't like his novels initially, now I can't get enough and will not wait for paperback. I love the fact that one of his repeat characters is named "Del Capslock" after the keys on a keyboard.

Jan van de Wetering--why won't he write any more? arrrrggggghhhhhhh! pulling hair out in misery.

James Lee Burke--OMG what can I say about a master of the written word? I do not care if the man only wrote for the yellow pages from now on, I would buy it!

Michael Connolly--will continue to read all of his books because of the book, The Poet, although I have started to wait for the paperbacks.

Leslie Glass--I added her because not only do I have one of all her novels, but I have somehow bought two of most of them.

Love this thread, Lori! I love thinking about authors as I read their books.

message 15: by Kristie (new)

Kristie (spedkristie) 1. Richard Laymon

2. Jodi Picoult

3. Amy Tan

4. Harlan Coben

5. not sure....

message 16: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstyreadsandcreates) | 610 comments 1. James Patterson (and like Mandy, I have to buy his books - definitely no borrowing)

2. Marian Keyes

3. David Baldacci (have only read a couple of his so far, but will definitely be picking up more)

4. I'd also like to say Dan Brown and J.K Rowling, but both of them seem to have released all the books they're going to write... you never know though!

I've read lots of different authors recently, so there aren't any that I can really say at the moment whether or not I'll read all their works... who knows. I have a feeling Christopher Moore may be added to this list in the future!

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 103 comments Stephen King,Stepen Hunter,Ken Follett,Richard Laymon,Hunter Thompson although deceased and not generally a fiction author,He's just a very interesting man!

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) Sophie Kinsella

Douglas Kennedy

Val McDermid

Katie Fforde

Paullina Simons

message 19: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 22, 2008 01:13PM) (new)

Given time (if I live for a long, long time) I will read the entire works from the following.

1) John Irving
2) John Steinbeck
3) Graham Greene
4) Cormac McCarthy
5) Richard Russo
6) Tim O'Brien
7) Kurt Vonnegut
8) Michael Connolly
9) Chuck Palahniuk
10) John Grisham & Stephen King (by default)

I will also follow these authors if I like a 2nd book of theirs as much as I liked the first one:

Elizabeth Brundage, Jodi Picoult, Joanne Harris, Jonathan Safran Foer, James Salter, Alice Munro

I'd also say Terry Pratchett, but he's written so many....maybe this list is a little to liberal, I just like a lot of authors. I try to spread my favorite authors out and not read 2 of their books too close together unless it is part of a series, which in the case of a lot of them there are no series.

message 20: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments Really the only author's work I would read no matter what would be Jodi Picoult. I just love her books.

message 21: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstyreadsandcreates) | 610 comments I have yet to read anything by Jodi Picoult. I have Nineteen Minutes sat on my shelf waiting to be read...

message 22: by April (new)

April (escapegal) | 130 comments Thanks to GR, I just picked up my first Jodi Picoult. Mercy...good place to start?

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Kirsty, I just read Nineteen Minutes about a month ago. Not my favorite book, but it was a worthwhile read. I thought it was a good subject.

message 24: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments April, Mercy is very good. Extremely sad but it really makes you wonder what you would do if you were in that situation.

message 25: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Funny Lisa but 2 of your authors are also on my list!

Marion Keyes
Stephen King
Diana Galbaldon
Cormac McCarthy...I love this mans writing
Judith Ivory...Romance,but really good romance

message 26: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1826 comments IF I PICK UP AN AUTHOR I'M GENERALLY FEEL I SHOULD READ EVERYTHING THEY RIGHT FICTION WISE...I MAKE JUDGEMENT CALLS REGARDING NON-FICTION.

THESE ARE MY TOPS THOUGH...
1. DIANA GABALDON...I STILL NEED TO READ THE LORD JOHN SERIES BUT I WAS HOOKED AS SOON AS I PICKED UP OUTLANDER.

2. V.C. ANDREWS - I STARTED READING THESE AS A TEEN AND STILL LOVE THEM AS A GUILTY PLEASURE ALTHOUGH I HAVEN'T READ ANY LATELY.

3. NICHOLAS SPARKS - LOVE HIS BOOKS...I HAD SEEN SO MANY OF THE MOVIES I DECIDED TO GO AHEAD AND READ THE BOOKS AND FOUND I LOVED THEM.

4. ANITA SHREVE - ONE OF THE FIRST AUTHORS I STARTED READING WHEN I GOT THE JOB AT THE LIBRARY...I'VE LOVED ALL THE ONE'S I'VE READ SO FAR.

5. EMILY GIFFIN - I'VE FELT LUKEWARM ABOUT THE LAST TWO BOOKS BUT SINCE I LOVED THE FIRST 2 I'LL KEEP READING.

message 27: by Bluedaizy (new)

Bluedaizy | 135 comments geesh, I wish there was some way to save comments on my "page". What a great list of authors!

message 28: by ScottK (last edited Jul 16, 2008 07:20PM) (new)

ScottK | 535 comments 1) Harlen Coben
2) Michael Connelly
3) John Connolly
4) Jeffrey Deaver
5) F. Paul Wilson- LONG LIVE REPAIRMAN JACK !!!!!

message 29: by Bluedaizy (new)

Bluedaizy | 135 comments Scott, we have very similar tastes. I am a huge reader of all those authors, with the exception of Wilson. But I'm going to rectify that due to your impassioned plea to discuss this author!

message 30: by ScottK (new)

ScottK | 535 comments Well bluedaisy, I will have to check out your books and see if I should friend you or not. However the friending would not at all be based on whether or not you read F. Paul Wilson. ;)

Sniff sniff...is that sarcasm I smell???

message 31: by Bluedaizy (new)

Bluedaizy | 135 comments Never about books! :)

message 32: by Amadeus (new)

Amadeus | 4 comments 1) Hunter S. Thompson; though, like MOLE (tim) said, it is journalism - he's only really written 1 actual novel but I eat up everything of his.
2) Graham Greene
3) Kurt Vonnegut
4) Douglas Coupland

And after reading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy I think he'll be added to the list - I couldn't get enough of it. Does anyone have any recommendations for a 2nd by him? I heard the Border Trilogy is good.

Same goes for J.M Coetzee

message 33: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (missbrittany) Jessica- I agree. JP all the way. I am starting my 6th of her 15.

message 34: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Amadeus,I've read The Road(I loved this book!)and No Country for Old Men another that was so good.Reading these books inspired me to pick up The Crossing and I believe I'll be collecting all his novels.I'll have to definitely check out Blood Meridian.

message 35: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Has anyone read his other novel called Child of GOd.. I read the synopsis and it sounded good so I added it to my To Buy list... Ive only read (and Loved) The Road by him.. I dont want to be let down, you know.. so Ive been afraid to pick anything else up by him.

message 36: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Lori,I really loved No Country for Old Men but felt anxious when I started it that I would be disappointed but it was really good,better than the movie I thought.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved No Country, as well. Personally, I liked it slightly more than The Road, but both books were great.

message 38: by Amadeus (new)

Amadeus | 4 comments Sherry, did you read All the pretty horses before the crossing? I bought it but am putting off reading it before I get the others - I don't want it to take away from the trilogy.

Blood Meridian was a little..well for the most part gruesome but after watching no country for old men I figure this is a trademark of his, plus he writes it with so much style I hardly care who dies next lol.

I'll definitely have to check out The Road & Child of God.

message 39: by Sherry (new)

Sherry The Road is amazing.I doubt you will be sorry.
I bought The Crossing as I believed that the first 2 books were independent of each other though the characters meet up in the third,and the second was more appealing to me.Am I mistaken?

message 40: by Sherry (new)

Sherry And yes,characters do seem to have a nasty way of dying,but it's articulated so beautifully that I can't say I mind. :)

The Road is one of the few books that could make me weep(an embarrassing 15 minutes!said with a blush)

message 41: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

The Road was just beautiful in its simplicity. I havent picked up Blood Meridian or No Country b/c they seemed a little too cowboy countryish for my tastes. But if you've read The Road and loved the others as well, perhaps I should pick them up too....

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

No Country has little to do with Cowboys and a lot to do with one evil guy. I think you will be surprised. His simplistic yet descriptive writing style is just so amazing. I felt like I was right beside the main character.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, The Road is amazing. It is so sparse but some of the imagery will stay with you forever. I was fortunate to read this one alongside Diaz's Oscar Wao novel- a double shot of brilliant new writing.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I am going to read more McCarthy. I hear good things about Blood Meridian especially. As for authors I'll always turn to, Stephen King and Ray Bradbury stick out in my mind. As difficult as he is to me, I always find Faulkner rewarding. As for other writers from the pantheon, I'm on record as saying that Shakespeare is my daddy and Jorge Borges is my step-daddy...haha. I took a year's worth of Shakespeare as an undergrad, probably read 20 or so of the plays, and there was not one I found less than completely fascinating. As for Borges, I read his short tales and, as a writer, I just feel unworthy. Borges is his own universe.

message 45: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Jesse, we've had Shakespeare in the Park here where there has been two productions playing alternately throughout the month.One was Richard III which was set during WWII England and the second,which I'm going to this evening is As You Like It.
I loved the production of Richard III.The set was very simple but it seemed to enhance the experience allowing one to focus on the play.Richard is probably one of my favourite characters in all Shakespeares plays so I was somewhat familiar with it but I'm unfamiliar with As You Like It.What should I be looking for?

Sadly there is a storm predicted for this evening :(

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

To quote my professor, it's one of Shakespeare's "pastoral" comedies. It's full of role/gender reversal; there are multiple love stories (low, medium, and high), and large parts of it take place in Arden, which is a forest that seemingly exists outside of reality. Think of it like a kind of Bizarro world where anything is possible (marrying beneath/above one's station, changing one's gender, etc). If you've read and enjoyed plays like The Taming of the Shrew or A Midsummer Night's Dream, I think you'll like As You Like It.

message 47: by Sherry (new)

Sherry I've read and enjoyed Taming of the Shrew.Thanks for the feedback.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1736 comments As You Like It is one of my favorite Shakespeare comedies.

Have fun!

message 49: by Beth (new)

Beth (goofyteacher) | 63 comments I took Shakespeare as a grad and undergrad and never felt smarter than when I read Richard III. It is such a complex play. My favorite is Twelth Night...gotta love the girl dressed as a guy falling in love with a duke!

I now have the pleasure of teaching Romeo and Juliet every year. No matter how many times I teach it I always find a new way to love it. Shakespeare had an insight into the teenage psyche because his toughts on young love are true even today.

Jesse, I too love Faulkner. It is kind of a love/hate relationship. I found his books difficult to get through but I loved having read them. As I Lay Dying is my favorite..."my mother is a fish." Too funny!

message 50: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 2389 comments Damn it, I'm probably going to add Stephenie Meyer, I'll be praying that she will become a better writer.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7