Every one's Choice discussion

Books > October: Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Molly (last edited Oct 16, 2010 05:03PM) (new)

Molly (mollystoddart) Has anyone read Let the Right One In yet? I am starting it on my kindle tonight! Really looking forward to it. I love spooky books but hate spooky movies :)

message 2: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 47 comments Yes. It is awesome.

message 3: by Silver (new)

Silver It is one of the most brilliant contemporary vampire novels to be written. Not only is it well written, but the story have many different levels to it, and offers a statement of society as well as telling an eerie tale. There are many elements within the book which are reminiscent of Dracula, and it merges traditional views about vampires with a modern influence. It is intelligent, and thought provoking.

message 4: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 47 comments What she said!

message 5: by Silver (new)

Silver One of the things which really intrigues me about this book is the title of it. I have been told that it comes from the Morrissey song "Let the Right One Slip In" but I think that the title works on many different levels within the book.

The concept of "letting people in" is played out both in the literal sense as well as in a more emotional sense for many of the different characters. There is also certain sexual connotations to the term which can be seen in the book.

I see it also as a play upon the popular myth, in which vampires are said to be unable to enter into a residence unless they are invited in. This idea is used within the classical Dracula, and is strongly emphasized in "Let the Right One In" in which Eli, is not permitted to enter a home unless she is formally invited inside.

message 6: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 47 comments That has always been held in Vampiric law...
They must be invited in...

message 7: by Lori (new)

Lori | 48 comments I am still looking for a copy! If I can't find one tomorrow, I have one more bookstore to try, then I will go ahead and order it...really looking forward to reading it!

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) I read this last year and had very mixed thoughts on it. I remember being frustrated and feeling like the story was taking too long, but then the more I thought about it, the more I realized that almost everything was pretty essential to the story, and that it kept me thinking for several days. If I can't stop thinking about a book, I know it's good!

Also, I had seen the foreign film version before I read the book, which might be why I had a hard time with the book at first. The film was good... haven't seen the American version yet.

message 9: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 3116 comments Mod
I have the American version at home so hopefully I will get to it some time this week. I really wanted to read the book but I really doubt I will any time soon so I am cheating!!!!

message 10: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

OK, I cheated and watched the movie. I just know I was never going to get around to reading the book and I am sure that the book is better than the movie because I could care less about the movie but it looked interesting!

message 11: by Silver (new)

Silver I really wanted to see the movie but it did not stay at the theaters long enough so now I will have to wait to rent it. I also have the original Sweedish version of the movie on my netflx.

message 12: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

Yeah I watched the Sweedish version on Netflix. I will attempt the American one eventually

message 13: by Stacy (new)

Stacy Donna,
It's a long book and definitely a hard one for me to get through, but I am determined. I'm am in the last quarter and it is more interesting. His writing is fine, but I find his characters so dysfunctional that it makes hard for me to care what happens to them. I have heard the movie is actually really good, so that is my treat when I finish!

message 14: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

The movie was def creepy. I had a hard time with them being so young