Harlequin Presents Readers discussion

Food for Thought > Do Any of the Newer HPs Have the Meaty Depth of the Vintage Ones?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jacqueline J (new)

Jacqueline J | 266 comments I ordered a box of 125 old HPs on the internet. I've been reading through them and some other old ones I've found. It just seems to me that the older ones were more complete stories. They had a wider range of plot lines and types of conflicts. They certainly had fewer sheiks and secret babies. Only one secret baby in the whole lot of 125.

Does this seem like a valid point? Am I just missing the meaty newer ones?

message 2: by willaful (new)

willaful | 344 comments I completely agree. Not all the old ones were gems, by any means, but there was certainly much more variety in plots, characters and storytelling.

From the comments I read about the HP new voices contest, I get the impression the editorial constraints are extremely strong right now.

message 3: by Jacqueline J (new)

Jacqueline J | 266 comments I thought that more than likely they are pretty strick about what they allow authors to write. Still they just seem like they are more on the surface. Less character development maybe.

And yes not all of the old ones are winners. I wonder as I work my way through the box what my ration of drek to winners will be?

message 4: by Verity (new)

Verity | 567 comments Not to mention the heroes are gazillionaires nowadays. Seems like, the deeper our econ is buried in the dumpster, the richer the HP blokes are =)~

message 5: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 2280 comments Mod
I agree that the stories have less depth and complexity, and the topics are definitely less varied.

Check out His Virgin Acquisition by Maisey Yates. He does have the gazillionaire Italian, but he's American. I liked how complex the heroine was. There was an interesting dynamic in their relationship. He wasn't exactly likeable, but this book really stayed with me.

message 6: by Vashti (new)

Vashti | 732 comments Daniellle, read that book by Maise Yates, liked it alot! seems that the newer American authors spend more time with the dev of a character, even though they are super rich, there seems to be more depth to the characters, same to be said with the Austrailian authors like Annie West et al.......but I still like the make believe world of the British Authors, wot would I do without my beloved Lynne Graham or Jacquline Baird...love them....

message 7: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 2280 comments Mod
I have to agree with you on that, Vashti. I'm glad you enjoyed His Virgin Acquisition!