Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Parents' Corner > The Importance of Sarcasm

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jesi (new)

Jesi (pwnedkitten) | 198 comments Very often, a teenager's grasp of sarcasm extends to a dry "well, duh" or rolled eyes. Wouldn't you, as parents, rather be cut down to size by someone skillfully taught to appreciate caustic wit, instead? In this spirit, I'd like to call your attention to October being National Sarcastic Awareness Month. Post here books that feature a great deal of teaching merit to the concept of sarcasm.

message 2: by Jesi (new)

Jesi (pwnedkitten) | 198 comments The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud

It was... okay, I guess. Strange that the character that was most enjoyable was a demon. All of the magicians were dislikable creatures (and purposefully so, as well.) The main character had a pronounced fatal flaw, which is a device you don't see often in stories, anymore. I think that the biggest problem I had was the different storytelling narratives. I enjoyed Bartimaeus' caustic wit, but having it switch between Nathaniel's impersonal and unemotional narrative almost made it feel like Stroud was apologizing for his writing. A decent book that most probably wouldn't object to, but nothing to write home about.

message 3: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments I live and breathe sarcasm, when I read I try to use it as well, and love when characters have that kick to them.

message 4: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) I read Hush Hush in October and found a lot of sarcasm in the book. Often I think that people misunderstand why others use sarcasm. I think it is a way to hide. Many teenagers, including my own, use sarcasm to hide their real feelings like fear and sadness. AS a mother I try to remember that even though their sarcasm comes off as rude, they are not intending to be rude but trying to push through what they are really feeling because they do not know how to handle the feelings.

message 5: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Jennifer wrote: "Often I think that people misunderstand why others use sarcasm. I think it is a way to hide."

I'm sure that some do, but I am a HUGELY sarcastic person and it has nothing at all to do with hiding my true feelings. I enjoy joking and playing and witty interactions with others who have a sense of humor. Sarcasm is part of what makes me who I am. I find subtle, dry humor (like English humor) much more entertaining than slapstick or fart jokes or whatever, mainly because of the sarcasm and wittiness.

It's not always a rude or nasty defense mechanism, although it does get a bad rap for that since so many put it to good use that way. =\

message 6: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments i second becky!

message 7: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes) (imjustcupcake) | 191 comments I am with you on that Becky!

message 8: by Lahni (new)

Lahni My daughter is very sarcastic (I wonder where she got it). And I think the hardest part is learning when and where it's appropriate (and with whom.) It is not always appropriate for a 12 year old to be sarcastic to an adult and it will be a while before she masters that line. And I encourage her to be sensitive to those who really don't know how to deal with it.

message 9: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments Yeah I agree there is a place and time, but I admitt I'm not always that nice, I had a few friends who didn't understand saracism so I would occationally mess with them...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Amulet of Samarkand (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jonathan Stroud (other topics)